Judge vacates Goodell's over-reach.

Comments

• BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,454 ✭✭✭✭✭
    maybe now he can focus on football! image
  • bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cue the Haters in 3 ..... 2........1 image
  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Like those balls really made a difference in the outcome of that game anyway!
  • pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭
    Face it haters, Brady may be the best quarterback ever.
    I am not a hater, but can't say that I agree that Brady is the best QB ever. He is right up there with a bunch which to name a few would be Troy A., Roger S., Joe M. and Payton M..

Before I get flamed.......this list is MUCH bigger! I just named a few of my favorites.
  • pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭
    Brady still wants to play for 8 more years and with his physical conditioning I don't see why it is not possible.
    Barring injuries I can see that as a possibility.

<< <i>Brady still wants to play for 8 more years and with his physical conditioning I don't see why it is not possible. >>

Not a chance that happens and I hope he doesnt even try.
  • GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,353 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Brady still wants to play for 8 more years and with his physical conditioning I don't see why it is not possible. >>

Not a chance that happens and I hope he doesnt even try. >>

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Time is growing short,,,,,

In not too many more years Peyton Manning will retire,,,,

Followed a couple of years later by Tom Brady,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Football just won't be the same for me when this happens,,,,,,

I have been spoiled watching these (2) GREAT Quarterbacks playing for the last 15+/- years,,,,,

GrandAm

GrandAm :)

<< <i>

<< <i>

Not a chance that happens and I hope he doesnt even try. >>

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Time is growing short,,,,,

In not too many more years Peyton Manning will retire,,,,

Followed a couple of years later by Tom Brady,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Football just won't be the same for me when this happens,,,,,,

I have been spoiled watching these (2) GREAT Quarterbacks playing for the last 15+/- years,,,,,

GrandAm

image >>

agreed but keep in mind we all said the same things about Marino, Montana, Elway, Favre ect.. The game is always revolving with talent. I think Andrew Luck will be the next QB that we will be thinking the same things about although it's highly doubtful we will ever see a run like Tom Brady has had
  • estangestang Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭
    I largely ignored this story as it seemed so overblown by the media.

I'm glad he wasn't suspended and they punished the team with fine and draft picks. That seemed like a sufficient penalty.

It also addresses policy and procedure gaps in the handling of footballs by the league and their officiating crews.

Roger Goodell's lack of consistency make him a poor leader for the NFL's image. He may be well intended, but a lack of consistency and common sense will mark his legacy.
    Enjoy your collection!
    Erik
  • Brian48Brian48 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭
    This was a witchhunt from the start. ESPN confirmed what everybody knew from the start, but won't admit. Teams are still PO'd about Spygate and could care less about deflated balls. Now that Brady's suspension is vacated, part of me wishes he would retire just to stick it to the NFL.

Well, after he wins another SB this year anyway image
  • TheVonTheVon Posts: 2,725
    Yeah, the ESPN report on how the Deflategate was just a makeup call for Spygate was enlightening. My takeaway: Goodell shouldn't be in charge of discipline for the league. And he certainly shouldn't be in charge of the appeal hearings for the people he already punished. Talk about a conflict of interest. ESPN report
  • pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like he played pretty good against the Steelers.image
  • GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,353 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A person is SUPPOSED to be innocent UNTIL proven guilty in this country,,,,,

I have seen no proof to convince me that Brady was behind these deflated balls,,,,,

It seems likely he was aware but no proof that I have seen therefore his suspension should have never happened,,,,

BTW,,,,,, I am a COLTS Fan,,,,,

GrandAm image

GrandAm :)
  • Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,331 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fail!

Dave
    Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Dave99B

Fail!

Dave

All that was decided was that God-dell has the power to suspend Brady no matter how flimsy the evidence or in this case lack of evidence was.

The power is in the hands of the commish's office. Don't pee on him or else

mark
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,580 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Full disclosure...I'm a Patriot's fan...however, my viewpoint would be the same for ANY NFL QB, given the "circumstances"...

FACT...Colts - Patriot's game 1/8/15, 1st quarter score Colts 0-14. 2nd quarter score Colts 7-3, combined half-time score Patriot's 17-7.

Now the air BS kicks in, all balls are inflated to proper levels, the difference in air pressure is almost miniscule. The second half, with the new inflations...3rd quarter Colts 0-21, 4th quarter Colts 0-7...Final score of the game FORTY FIVE to SEVEN.

Goodell has NO, NADA, ZIP, ZERO solid evidence that Brady had a hand in the deflations, his witch hunt was based solely on the Wells report, which said this more probable than not that he was 'generally aware of the deflation".

Untold tens of millions spent by Goodell to crucify Brady and destroy his reputation. Google "deflategate" on Wikipedia to get an in-depth report on more than you'd ever want to know about air in footballs.

INSANITY !!
  • SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have practiced law for 34 years and find it really amazing that this dispute between the NFL and the Patriots/Brady ended up in federal district court and thereafter in a federal appellate court. Our court system is designed to be the place to go to obtain a resolution to a dispute, but why would parties to this type of dispute desire to devote the time and money to dump this dispute into the hands of a judge to decide? Turf battle and wanting to assert one's power I guess.

Next stop is a petition for rehearing before the entire panel of justices on the court. Then a petition to the US Supreme Court to hear the case.
    SanctionII...

I suspect both petitions will fail. The hubris of Goodell is beyond fathomable.

Do Google the Wikipedia article on this subject. The only thing Goodell has is a MASSIVE EGO and mere conjecture, nothing more than innuendo. All this over air in a football, it is totally incomprehensible to me that such a miniscule situation has morphed into such an enormous undertaking.

When one contemplates the performance of Brady and the Patriots in the second half, when the footballs were supposed to be fully inflatable, tells all you need to know. The Patriots and Brady absolutely CRUSHED the Colts....I think that would be called "prima facie" evidence in your world.

I too think both petitions would fail. The losing side at the trial court level has a right to an appeal to the court of appeal. The court of appeal has no choice but to tske the case and decide the appeal. Once the first appeal is completed there is no right to further appellate review. A party can ask for further review but the court of appeal (on a petition for rehearing) and the Supreme Court is not obligated to hear the case. Most petitions for further appellate review are denied. I would think that would happen in this case.

You are correct that New England would have won the game with or without changing the pressure in the footballs.
    A recent press release regarding the cost of this nonsense...

By Arielle Aronson

Mar 2, 2016 at 12:41p ET

"The cost of the NFL's battle with the NFLPA and New England Patriots over air pressure in footballs is rising, according to a report from Darren Rovell. The ESPN senior writer claimed legal fees for Deflategate are approaching $20 million with the NFL footing most of the bill. According to Rovell's breakdown of the fees, the NFL has spent approximately $12.5 million on the controversy thus far. That amount includes approximately $2.5 million for the Wells Report and about $10 million in billable hours for multiple law firms working on the case. Rovell also ran comparisons for billable hours for law firms retained by the NFLPA on behalf of quarterback Tom Brady, and the price tag for Brady's lawyers could cost the players' union about $5 million so far. The Patriots might have the cheapest bill per Rovell, as he estimates the team spent $500,000 on miscellaneous items, including a lengthy public rebuttal to the Wells Report. For those keeping track, the tab stands at $18 million combined from all sides, but Rovell said there could be another $2 million worth of expenses due to bills for document production, expert witnesses and so on.

The estimated $20 million price tag was not received well on Twitter."

As Goodell is also an Officer of the Court (I believe he's an attorney), where is the fairness in all this insanity? The premise is that the outcome of a professional football game was illegally altered by person or persons unknown, who intentionally deflated footballs for personal gain or for whom they were employed. The facts of the case...i.e. the game score, as quarter by quarter will show that the corrected footballs provided during the second half made not a scintilla of difference in the outcome...it would appear, in fact, that given the high scoring, that the reinflation actually enhanced Brady's quarterback skills, not lessened them. There is no concrete proof, no smoking gun, no nada, only a very, very pissed off Commissioner who went off the deep end to try to destroy the reputation of one of the greatest quarterbacks in the history of the game, armed only with conjecture and innuendo.

This is a sad day for the NFL, Goodell went on a witch hunt and one...I would venture many "behind the scenes" conversations were held with those that had the power to reinstate or not. Remember, the vote was 2-1, NOT unanimous...somebody got to somebody!!

Goodell is paid an enormous salary by the NFL, mind-numbing actually, apparently common sense is not a requirement for this job. Hate, and revenge appear to be the prime resume requirements.

Brady got screwed, plain and simple.

• mlbfan2mlbfan2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: MCMLVTopps

Goodell has NO, NADA, ZIP, ZERO solid evidence that Brady had a hand in the deflations, his witch hunt was based solely on the Wells report, which said this more probable than not that he was 'generally aware of the deflation".

You're missing a very important point.

The NFL and the players union *both agreed* that the commish didn't need to have rock solid 100% proof in order to hand out a punishment. "More probable than not" is good enough. Both parties agreed to that. The union foolishly agreed to the rules and now they're complaining about the rules in the middle of the game.

Can you post a link a cite a specific editorial on your comment about "more probable than not" was agreed to by Goodell and the union?

The facts of the case...i.e. the game score, as quarter by quarter will show that the corrected footballs provided during the second half made not a scintilla of difference in the outcome...it would appear, in fact, that given the high scoring, that the reinflation actually enhanced Brady's quarterback skills, not lessened them.

A baseball pitcher that was caught doctoring a baseball would be suspended even if every batter that he faced hit a home run. The game results of breaking the rules don't matter one bit.

Can you post a link a cite a specific editorial on your comment about "more probable than not" was agreed to by Goodell and the union?

"In determining that a violation occurred, we applied the standard of proof stated in the Integrity of the Game Policy: namely, preponderance of the evidence, meaning that 'as a whole, the fact sought to be proved is more probable than not.'

So what you're saying is you can't provide anything to support your allegation of an "agreement" between Goodelll and the NFL player's union.

Maybe something like S-P-E-C-F-I-C-S? Please don't try the baseball analogy, we're talkin' football.

So what you're saying is you can't provide anything to support your allegation of an "agreement" between Goodelll and the NFL player's union.

http://profootballtalk.nbcspor...pplies-to-deflategate/

"Per a league source, the “preponderance of the evidence” standard applies in cases involving allegations of conduct that undermines the integrity of the game. That comes from the league policy manual given to every team. It’s the standard that applies in civil litigation, a “more-likely-than-not” assessment of the proof that equates to, essentially, a 51-49 test far less stringent than proof beyond a reasonable doubt, which applies in criminal cases."

That was easy. You can Google any further questions you may have.
    BS !!!
    Gastronome.

Great summary of the case. My thought about why this case ended up in court at the trial court and appellate court level is that there are two sides who are not concerned with the cost of litigation. They are motivated by other things, including who has more power. There disagreement is one which ultimately had no place to go but court.

I would expect that any attempt to obtain further appellate review will be unsuccessful.

BS !!!

That's quite an argument you put up there.

Sorry 'bout your boy Brady. Don't worry, they'll still make the playoffs.
    I'm disgusted about the entire thing to begin with and don't plan on arguing the same tired points again. That being said the Pats will go 2-2 or 3-1 IMO in Brady's absence and they will still make the playoffs. Hopefully this puts a fire under their rear ends and they go on a rampage.
    This is totally a waste of time and money......goddell needs to go.
  • Its a waste of our time.
    Speaking of 'confirmed cheaters' ... enjoy the pine, Tom. You aren't above the law, son.

Dave
    Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Speaking of 'confirmed cheaters' ... enjoy the pine, Tom. You aren't above the law, son.

Dave

He wasn't above the Czar of Football's Law.That's all that was decided by the court. They didn't decide innocence or guilt.

mark
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......

Dave

They will still make the playoffs. Oh and they still beat Seattle in the Super Bowl, I know your still smarting over snatching defeat from the Jaws of Victory LOL
    All good. I just enjoy when cheaters get called out. Justice.

No one is above the law....sorry.

Dave
  • craig44craig44 Posts: 10,393 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Quarterbacks have been doctoring balls for decades. This punishment had nothing to do with deflated balls, but was a power play by Goodell

George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

Originally posted by: craig44
    Quarterbacks have been doctoring balls for decades. This punishment had nothing to do with deflated balls, but was a power play by Goodell

Everyone knows this, they just love to hate on the Pats and literally don't have much to rag on them over because they win so much.
    Originally posted by: perkdog
    Originally posted by: craig44

Everyone knows this, they just love to hate on the Pats and literally don't have much to rag on them over because they win so much.

What a crock of crap.......like the balls made any difference in that game!

The Revenge tour was a success LOL

@perkdog said:
    The Revenge tour was a success LOL

It sure was. I'm not a Pat's fan, but loved it!

I hope it's Dallas and NE next year for SB LII and Dallas winning of course. B)

Where are all the big mouths now?

@perkdog said:

A win like that kinda puts the haters in their place.

@DIMEMAN said:

@perkdog said:

A win like that kinda puts the haters in their place.

I know. All those butt hurt haters can be referred to as cowards now since they are all hiding.