Home Sports Talk

2015 college football thread

garnettstylegarnettstyle Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭
The season starts tomorrow and there are some good games all weekend long.

Key thursday night games:

Michigan vs Utah

#2 TCU vs Minnesota

IT CAN'T BE A TRUE PLAYOFF UNLESS THE BIG TEN CHAMPIONS ARE INCLUDED

Comments

• coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not to bash the Gophers but beating the Horned Frogs is one tall order...

Utah-Michigan should be interesting

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Not to bash the Gophers but beating the Horned Frogs is one tall order...

Utah-Michigan should be interesting >>

Don't think they'll beat TCU but Minnesota should not be overlooked. They had a nice season last year with some key wins over Michigan, Nebraska, and Iowa. They should be good again, and i think that they'll play TCU tough.
    What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
  • thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭
    Leaving at 4 AM in the morning for the 1050 mile drive to Notre Dame. Maven and I are having a daddy/daughter trip to the ND/TX game. Should be fun. Hoping to make it to St Louis in time tomorrow to take her on a helicopter tour. She'll think that's neat. To hell with law school for the weekend ; )

Go IRISH
    Buying US Presidential autographs
    I would like to see Minnesota win... image just have reasonable expectations

• garnettstylegarnettstyle Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭
    South Carolina came from behind in the 4th quarter to defeat North Carolina.

#2 TCU escapes with a close win against unranked Minnesota.

That TCU/Minn. game was a good game. Minn. played them close like i thought they would. The S. Carolina/UNC game and the Utah/Mich. games were entertaining as well. Great start to the season!

The only enticing game i see for Friday is Washington/Boise State.

Some interesting games for Saturday:

Penn State/Temple
    BYU/Nebraska
    Arizona State/Texas A&M
    Texas/Notre Dame
    Wisconsin/Alabama
    Ohio State/Virginia Tech

Its nice to see some good games to start the year!
    What I Collect:

• DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Got a crew of 8 heading up to Athens for the home opener tomorrow. Gonna be interesting to see the new QBs and the stud running backs and good O-line....and UGA X!

Should hopefully be a good year for the Dawgs.
    How about those Wildcats?!

<< <i>How about those Wildcats?! >>

Should be in top 20 when the new polls come out.

• halosfanhalosfan Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭✭
    Looks like UCLA is set at QB for a long while!! Kid looks like the real deal
    Looking for a Glen Rice Inkredible and Alex Rodriguez cards
    Braxton Miller is back.

• BobSBobS Posts: 1,738 ✭✭
    Wouldn't it be crazy, but I wonder if the Bucks could actually have multiple Heisman finalists this year.

Braxton - WR
    Jones - QB
    Elliott - RB
    Bosa - DT

Not a lot of argument that they may be the best 4 at their position in the country right now.

OSU is the team to beat this year... not sure that will happen

Big game in east lansing Saturday.

• PM770PM770 Posts: 320 ✭✭
    I'm surprised Oklahoma isn't a more significant favorite against Tennessee.
    ND and UVA is wild...tune in now

VERY bad day for the SEC.

HOLY TOLEDO!!

• larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭

<< <i>ND and UVA is wild...tune in now >>

For sure. ND pulled one out but UVA was there.

Oregon v. MSU was a great game. I was disappointed in the outcome but both teams played well overall. Will be interested to see Oregon, late in the year, once the QB figures everything out. He's been there about a month I think.

Tough day for the SEC but every conference has those kind of days. If Auburn hadn't pulled their win out it probably would have been the worst day by one conference ever. However, Auburn "won" on paper. Will be curious how far they drop in the rankings. In my opinion they should drop all the way out but I know that won't happen.
  • royalbrettroyalbrett Posts: 620 ✭✭✭
    Spartans/Ducks was a great game. Glad to see the Spartans get the win and hope they can keep it up throughout the year.
    Yeah, I uploaded that KC icon in 2001
  • EstilEstil Posts: 6,863 ✭✭✭✭
    We beat South Carolina on the road for the first time this century! image
    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P+S, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 61D, 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars

<< <i>Spartans/Ducks was a great game. Glad to see the Spartans get the win and hope they can keep it up throughout the year. >>

Spartans have beaten a lot of great teams in recent yrs. Oregon, Baylor, Ohio State, TCU, to name a few.

Ole Miss v Alabama

I suspect Bear and Johnny Vaught will be watching... should one of the great games this season

• DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Got company tix for the UGA/South Carolina game. I don't care what folks think about SC this year after losing to Kentucky, Spurrier can get under the Dawgs skin with a high school team any year.
    So how does the Big Ten do against the ACC Saturday?

Anyone going to any games this weekend? I'm heading up to the Penn State-Rutgers game at 8 pm. PSU's first stripe out!
    What I Collect:

<< <i>Anyone going to any games this weekend? I'm heading up to the Penn State-Rutgers game at 8 pm. PSU's first stripe out! >>

Have fun! I've got A&M/Nevada tix but I can't justify wasting a whole Saturday this weekend as I have a ton to do. I'll be doing good to squeeze in ND/GT on TV. However, next weekend I'm headed to Arkansas/A&M at Cowboys (AT&T) Stadium. Jerry's place is a great place to watch a game.

<< <i>

<< <i>Spartans/Ducks was a great game. Glad to see the Spartans get the win and hope they can keep it up throughout the year. >>

Spartans have beaten a lot of great teams in recent yrs. Oregon, Baylor, Ohio State, TCU, to name a few. >>

Very true.
    The victory in the Outback bowl in 2012 against Georgia was a big turning point for the MSU Spartans football program.

<< <i>Anyone going to any games this weekend? I'm heading up to the Penn State-Rutgers game at 8 pm. PSU's first stripe out! >>

Take some pics if you don't mind and post them in my gameday pic thread. I'd enjoy seeing what the atmosphere and facilities look like at different places.

<< <i>

Take some pics if you don't mind and post them in my gameday pic thread. I'd enjoy seeing what the atmosphere and facilities look like at different places. >>

will do! Ill try to take some pics throughout the day of tailgating and at the game for you.
    What I Collect:

So it's early but who are you all predicting for the playoffs? My current prediction in no particular order:

Alabama
    TCU
    Michigan State
    UCLA

Ok, UCLA is a homer pick since I am a life-long Bruin fan and I just don't think Oregon is that good this year so can't go with the Ducks out west. Their defense is really giving up points... to bad teams. They played well against MSU but not their other two games.

I am a little conflicted between MSU and OSU but leaning toward MSU right now. I don't see both getting to the playoffs though.

Clemson is my sleeper team.

I think it's WAY too early to write off Alabama.

I know there is a long way to go.
    Ohio State
    Michigan state
    LSU
    Oklahoma

A few good looking games with western teams:

UCLA at U of A
    Utah at Oregon
    BYU at Michigan (If I were a gambler I like BYU here and the 5.5 points)
    TCU vs Texas Tech should be good.

<< <i>TCU vs Texas Tech should be good. >>

TCU is only a 6.5 favorite. What am I missing here?

I refuse to give TT too much credit for surviving Arkansas. Arkansas is going to be a 4-8 team this year.
  • EstilEstil Posts: 6,863 ✭✭✭✭
    Forgive me for being late on this but I really thought we had a chance of beating Florida for the first time since the Reagan Administration (!!)...but I guess it just wasn't meant to be. image
    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P+S, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 61D, 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars

<< <i>

<< <i>TCU vs Texas Tech should be good. >>

TCU is only a 6.5 favorite. What am I missing here?

I refuse to give TT too much credit for surviving Arkansas. Arkansas is going to be a 4-8 team this year. >>

That is a good point. I am rooting for TCU regardless of the spread.
    I remember the days when TCU was great and... well not so great. Its hard not to root for them

I guess that TCU spread was legit. Wild game.
  • TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭

<< <i>A few good looking games with western teams:

UCLA at U of A
    Utah at Oregon
    BYU at Michigan (If I were a gambler I like BYU here and the 5.5 points) >>

Ugh. They were all stinkers, particularly the game at Autzen. I watched the entire game and never got remotely upset as I watched Utah lay an epic beat down on my Ducks. Most points ever scored by an opponent in Eugene. I kept thinking, "turnabout is fair play: most Oregon opponents have been on the receiving end of a blowout like this". Oregon's never been known for their defense, but this year's is as bad as I've ever seen. However, that's not meant to take anything away anything from Utah - that's a very, very good team.

Not that I needed any convincing, but it really illustrates how much Mariota meant to that offense. He helped the defense out so much by continually putting points on the board, thereby forcing opposing offenses to go away from their game plan to try to keep up.

At the end of the weekend, Oregon finds itself outside the top 25 for the dirst time since 2006. With the trouble the offense is having scoring points and that sieve of a defense, I predict it's only going to get worse from here.

<< <i>

<< <i>A few good looking games with western teams:

UCLA at U of A
    Utah at Oregon
    BYU at Michigan (If I were a gambler I like BYU here and the 5.5 points) >>

Ugh. They were all stinkers, particularly the game at Autzen. I watched the entire game and never got remotely upset as I watched Utah lay an epic beat down on my Ducks. Most points ever scored by an opponent in Eugene. I kept thinking, "turnabout is fair play: most Oregon opponents have been on the receiving end of a blowout like this". Oregon's never been known for their defense, but this year's is as bad as I've ever seen. However, that's not meant to take anything away anything from Utah - that's a very, very good team.

Not that I needed any convincing, but it really illustrates how much Mariota meant to that offense. He helped the defense out so much by continually putting points on the board, thereby forcing opposing offenses to go away from their game plan to try to keep up.

At the end of the weekend, Oregon finds itself outside the top 25 for the dirst time since 2006. With the trouble the offense is having scoring points and that sieve of a defense, I predict it's only going to get worse from here. >>

I was worried about Oregon's defense since the first game when they let some FCS school score a bunch on them. The Michigan State game they played well but other than that not so much. You are right Mariota was huge but defense has to play MUCH better than they have. It was actually against eastern Washington they let up 42 points in the first game. I went to the Eastern Washington game Saturday night here in Sacramento against Sac State. Two bad teams. Oregon has no excuse for letting them score 42 AND Georgia State scoring 28. Even Oregon 4th stringers should hold those type of teams to a field goal at the most.

<< <i>I guess that TCU spread was legit. Wild game. >>

Yep. <looking at empty wallet>
  • JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well we have learned that Ohio State and Michigan State are over rated to this point. The only quality win between the two of them is MSU over Oregon at home and even that is now suspect.

mark
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......

<< <i>Wouldn't it be crazy, but I wonder if the Bucks could actually have multiple Heisman finalists this year.

Braxton - WR
    Jones - QB
    Elliott - RB
    Bosa - DT

Not a lot of argument that they may be the best 4 at their position in the country right now. >>

Four games in and it would hard to imagine any of them being invited to NY

mark
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • BobSBobS Posts: 1,738 ✭✭
    Mark - I'm starting to think the same.

<< <i>Mark - I'm starting to think the same. >>

After week one I was ready to elect them all to the HOF myself

mark

<< <i>Well we have learned that Ohio State and Michigan State are over rated to this point. The only quality win between the two of them is MSU over Oregon at home and even that is now suspect.

mark >>

I agree about MSU. I just don't think they are the 3rd or 4th best team in the country, at least not at this point. And this is coming from probably the biggest Spartan fan here.

<< <i>Well we have learned that Ohio State and Michigan State are over rated to this point. The only quality win between the two of them is MSU over Oregon at home and even that is now suspect.

mark >>

I don't think Ohio state is overrated. Their defense looks great and they have one of the best running backs in the country. A lot of people think TCU is overrated and I would agree. They should've lost against Texas tech.

<< <i>

mark >>

I don't think Ohio state is overrated. >>

Of course you don't. Urban Meyer's would disagree with you. They are not very good right now. That could change

mark