Home PSA Set Registry Forum

Need help with a labeling issue on a graded card!

I submitted a group of cards for grading and they just popped on the PSA website. I noticed the label on one of the cards wasn't right so I asked them to hold the entire order to correct before mailing. The issue is with a 1996 Fleer base card. They are supposed to have a gold foil on them but the one I submitted was a Silver Foil error. It's definitely not a Tiffany card because it is not glossy. The grader agreed that it is not a Tiffany but would not include "Silver Foil Error" on the label since there is not documentation or checklist from Fleer indicating there were error cards printed.

Has anyone had this issue with PSA before and was later able to resolve it? Where can I go to get documentation so I can get the label changed to include the error?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If it's not noted in the Beckett Annual or the Standard Catalog, PSA will not recognize errors/variations on the label.
  • Thanks LarkinCollector. Guess I won't be able to add it to my registry set.
    I've unfortunately run into the same issue with many of my Larkin items, I just keep both and tape a label of the variation to the back of the flip so I can keep them straight and hope they'll eventually change. It would be nice for them to relax this policy when it's something obvious like the Gold vs Silver foil, but it becomes much more difficult on where to draw the line. I don't think Standard Catalog has made any updates to their Modern guide for quite a few years, so getting Beckett to note it in theirs is your only hope.
  • Thanks for your insight LarkinCollector. I understand that a line does have to be drawn somewhere but I've seen enough of the silver foil base cards on ebay and amazon to think that its not as rare as some people may think. I was planning on keeping it in my collection with a label identifying the variation just like you have done. And I didn't even think of trying to contact Beckett and see if they would consider adding the variation to their catalog. Thanks again for the advise and your comments.
  • You probably already know this, but everything LC said is spot on. It's one of the main reasons I still buy the Beckett almanac every couple of years.
  • jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭
    what i dont understand is why they dont consult with player collectors on these issues. i would think that some of us have a pretty good idea what we collect. i would think i have a little bit of knowledge when it comes to favre cards and by that extension a pretty good idea of almost 91-2009 football card variations.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's
    Originally posted by: jradke4
    what i dont understand is why they dont consult with player collectors on these issues.

A good thought, but involving collectors in that decision making would be ripe for abuse.
  • lawyer05lawyer05 Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: LarkinCollector
    Originally posted by: jradke4
    what i dont understand is why they dont consult with player collectors on these issues.

A good thought, but involving collectors in that decision making would be ripe for abuse.

True