Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Bishops threads on 59 varieties - can't find it?

Have a 59 John Goryl - #77 WB that has a ?print? line on the inside of the lower right hand corner border. Runs from under the circle to bottom edge, past Chicago Cubs and Infield. I have seen write ups on similar 59's but can not find them. Any help would be great. Wish I could attach a pic -can do for ebay and emails but this site has me very confused.

Jim

Comments

• Options
    bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    Jim---this is a link to a site featuring 1959 variations and recurring print defects, I think I have most if not all of the ones discussed here. The Goryl is included but the one in the link and the one I have involve a blue dot over the N in his name on the front. If you have something else, would love to see it. Many of my 59 variants are posted throughout Don's ( Mariner) 1959 thread here

Al

Text
    Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • Options
    Jim---is this what you mean ? It is recurring but scarce and I have not seen it discussed

Here is one where defect seems to run above circle as well

Al
  • Options
    59Horsehide59Horsehide Posts: 427 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: bishop
    Jim---is this what you mean ? It is recurring but scarce and I have not seen it discussed

Here is one where defect seems to run above circle as well

Thank you very much for the reply and the pics. Your top pic is exactly what I was asking about. You and Don are truly the experts on the 59's, and other years as well. I am planning on sending this to PSA for grading. I will try to get a pic so you can view the card. Thanks again, I really appreciate it.
    Jim
  • Options

Here are pics (maybe-what a deal trying to use Photo Bucket) of the 59 Topps #77 -John Goryl card I was asking about. All comments related to variety and possible grade are welcome. I think the card has a shot at 7.5 PSA. Thanks

Jim

• Options
    marinermariner Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭✭
    Jim, best of luck on grading your Goryl....it does look nice!

Al is the Master of variations.
    Don

Collect primarily 1959-1963 Topps Baseball
    set registry id Don Johnson Collection
    ebay id truecollector14
  • Options
    Jim-- I am absolutely no expert on graded cards, but that card is a beauty

Al
  • Options
    Thanks, Don and Al, for your replies. Do either of you know if PSA states the variation on the grading label? I saw the PSA 7 shown earlier did not have any variety indicator. No big deal but wanted to get it right if that is what PSA does.

Jim
  • Options
    I am not a graded guy, but do follow the PSA master set checklists for variations that they recognize. Normally they do not recognize variations unless SCD or Beckett have recognized them first. Some think recurring print defects like this one should not be recognized as variations. Some would say only changes in a card made intentionally by the manufacturer should be recognized. But some of the most iconic hobby variations are just recurring print defects, like the 57 Bakep, the 58 Herrer and maybe 52 Campos.

Even "intentional" is hard to pin down. For example the two 52 Mantles and the non pose differences in the 62 greenies were not intended but did occur because of an intended change in the printing process.

Generally though PSA does not recognize recurring print defects until they gain hobby recognition. The 61 Fairly with the errant green smudge in the bottom of the baseball on the back is an example of a variant they recognized. Why ? I have no idea, but I think someone got Beckett to recognize it first

There is a great variants/variations thread on Net 54 with many examples like this one for many Topps sets, including 1959

Text

Al
  • Options
    SlipCSlipC Posts: 100 ✭✭✭
    Another great 59 Topps thread.

Those Goryl pics and the defect therein, are fascinating.

It's been a long, long time!
  • Options
    Originally posted by: mariner
    Jim, best of luck on grading your Goryl....it does look nice!

Al is the Master of variations.

Before I reveal the grade, I would be interested in what Al, Don, Bob, etc. think it should grade. See above pics of front and back and compare to the PSA 7 posted by Al. Thanks.

Jim

• Options
    Jim-- as I mentioned, I prefer cards in their natural state and am no grading expert. Don affirmed that for me recently involving a card from another set. But I think yours looks better than the 7 I posted and both seem to be about the same amount off center. However I have seen many say that PSA standards have become more stringent over time.

Al
  • Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    6(PD) or straight 4 should be worst case. The PSA 7 would not get that grade today on a crack and resub.
  • Options
    marinermariner Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭✭
    Jim, my best guess is PSA 7.
    Don

Collect primarily 1959-1963 Topps Baseball
    set registry id Don Johnson Collection
    ebay id truecollector14
  • Options
    Thanks to each of you for taking a poke at my 59 Goryl card. PSA gave it the "6 a-rooskie".
    I thought for sure I had a 7 and possibly a 7.5. Thanks too for the links you provided and for sharing your knowledge.

Jim.
  • Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    From the waiting to reveal, I was expecting you got hammered. I think the front right corners (top especially) is probably what kept it in a 6 holder, though I would expect a 7 say 20% of the time subbing that card. PSA seems to reserve the half grades for near perfect centering on the front and it seems some graders never use them, most times it requires a review to get the half point bump.