Home PSA Set Registry Forum

ebay - gotta vent

This is just a vent/rant.

I find a listing on ebay that has the potential to significantly help my collection. its a collection of raw cards that, by playing the odds, should work to my benefit if I get them bought at a decent price.

its a 6 or 7 day auction. I've got the bid with 3 days to go. Then the seller, whom I've actually dealt with on numerous occasions privately, on deals in the low thousands (and held in high regard), emails me with a blanket email stating he may end the auction due to a lack of activity. He also has "another person" making an offer. Oh, and he also throws out that he may simply submit the cards himself for grading. But since we've had previous transactions, he would give me the opportunity to call him and buy them privately. Thus giving me the option to circumvent ebay and pay him a lot more. How could I refuse, right?

So I just canceled my bid, and washed my hands of the deal, and really him for that matter. That's bush league if you ask me, and maybe I wear out my welcome here by saying so, but I just don't have a lot of love for that kind of dealing. If you wanted more, set it up so you get more or nothing at all. Don't put it in the cheapest format possible, get pissy because you aren't getting the golden goose you feel you deserve, and then pull the rug out from under honest bidders who actually have half a chance at getting the rare good deal. Whats the point of even having an auction with rules at that point?

If you want more, ask for more up front. If you aren't happy with the auction results, take your lumps like everyone else. You win some, you lose some, and I've seen some of his deals...he's definitely won his share of them. Its life.

The more people that do this sketchy crap, the harder its going to be to find an honest outlet to buy/sell IMO.

I don't care if the lot brought $10, $50, or a $100. I would have bid up a fair amount for this particular lot of raw, MODERN cards that the seller even went so far as to say the majority would grade 7-8, meaning most weren't worth submitting.

I'm not naming names. I just wanted to put this out there and see if I'm off my rocker for expecting a higher standard and getting irritated by this instance.

There's a lot of reasons why an auction can be justifiably ended, but trying to hold a bidder ransom by threatening to take your ball home...I mean end the auction soon because its not going as well as you believe it should...just isn't one of them.

Comments

• You are right.
  • LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep, once I put a card up for auction I just let it ride. Most bids come in the last few seconds these days anyway, so no way to judge the finish this early.

ETA: That's also the best reason I've heard for a valid bid retraction.
  • ndwsndws Posts: 132 ✭✭
    Thanks for the validation guys. I appreciate it. Didn't know if I was just being extra sensitive because I considered him a "friend" although I've never met him face to face (Kansas vs California).

Just seems like a spoiled kid move not getting his way. Oh well, its life. He's not the first I've seen do things that make me scratch my head and/or swear. Doubt he'll be the last. Its just frustrating when you think you found a possible break, and then the childish nonsense comes out.
    Originally posted by: LarkinCollector

ETA: That's also the best reason I've heard for a valid bid retraction.

I think Ebay gives 3 options as a reason for retracting your bid.

Sadly, "the seller is acting like a soggy _____" is missing from that list. lol
  • bobsbbcardsbobsbbcards Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭
    Reasonable rant. I agree with everything you said.
  • knightemknightem Posts: 125 ✭✭✭
    OMG. I so agree! What a scumbag! "Lack of activity"? How does he know, since a lot of people wait until the last minute to bid so they don't show their hand? Of course he wants to deal outside of ebay, which would make me uncomfortable. Yes, reasonable rant!
  • bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    I am strictly a buyer on eBay and it's current buyer friendly rules and the ability to snipe make it a good venue for me. I can see why the trend to snipes and last second bids make buyers "nervous" But BINs, reserves and minimum bids are available, although at a cost.

If I have done a lot of business with a seller who sells by BIN/ best offer on eBay, I will contact them by email or through their web site with my offer. It saves them money and gets me a lower price. if it is an auction I will not contact the seller about selling off line nor entertain off line proposals since I have experienced the same situations as the OP and think it improper ethics
    Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • craig44craig44 Posts: 10,393 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Auctions should never be allowed to end early. You are right, Bush league

George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

• I saw this thread from a comment on a similar situation I experienced.

I think you should out the seller. The only way they can possibly be punished is if they get exposed.

I'm sorry for your experience.
  • You are correct with your judgement of the situation. I personally just wouldn't deal with the seller in the future no matter what type of deal he extended.
    Collect Brooks Robinson and unique O's items
  • qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: craig44
    Auctions should never be allowed to end early. You are right, Bush league

I agree!

I don't visit the forums all that often, so I was surprised to see any further comments on this. I appreciate the support, and it definitely validates my decision to not deal with him any more. I'm a very little fish in this pond and he's a pretty big fish (I've seen him in SMR and he has a pretty impressive collection). Honestly, nobody gains anything by outing him on a piddly deal like this. I think for the most part, he's an honest guy. He's just been on the winning side of things for so long, he's a sore loser when its not roses and unicorns. Aside from this, I enjoyed dealing with him. Its not like this ebay snafu was on any of his good stuff, just a bulk lot of modern cards I was hoping to get a 9 out of one of them. I was just surprised to see him pull a move like that, and pretty much wanted to make sure I wasn't over reacting to the situation.

While I've both bought and sold to this person, I think its just easier to not fool around with him and let him deal with his low pop psa10's in a clientele base that is outside what I would ever chase.

I appreciate the feedback folks.