Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Munson Master Set

I have been collecting Thurman Munson cards and oddball items for a while and started the master set this year. It has been a lot of fun and am looking forward to trying to find some of the tougher items on the list. Does anyone else collect Munson stuff or is currently going after the master set? What items did you find the most difficult to find?

Dave

Baseball, it is said, is only a game. True. And the Grand Canyon is only a hole in Arizona.

-George F. Will

Comments

• Options
    bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    I do not collect him per se but collect all Topps sets, inserts and test issues through 1994 so I think I have most of his Topps stuff. Some of the tougher items were the 71 Greatest Moment Card and 4 versions of his 1974 Deckle card ( white back, gray back, undeckled proof and on an uncut sheet of the full set

I feel safe in saying that his toughest Topps "card", which I do not have, is the 1971 Topps Rookie Artist proof card. There may be only one. It is pictured in the SCD Standard Catalog

There have been rumors that his 1971 card # 5 can be found with his name in yellow .
    Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • Options
    DanBessetteDanBessette Posts: 6,422
    Al, weren't the Deckle proofs (non Deckle edges) found with both white and gray backs? I believe the Yaz was, at least.
  • Options
    bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    Yes, just as the Deckles themselves come with either back, the proofs do as well. White backs are the scarcer of the two in either format
    Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • Options
    dberk12dberk12 Posts: 399 ✭✭
    Great knowledge Al. I recently stumbled across a Topps Deckle Edge (white back) which I thought was one of the most difficult items on the list. I didn't know there was a proof card or an uncut sheet of the set. Those two must be like finding a needle in a haystack.

I will also keep an eye out for the '71 Topps with his name in yellow. That is something that may fly under the radar and may appear on an ungraded beater. Now I know to check out any '71 Topps that I see.

The Milk Duds box and hand cut card are really tough. I have seen every other player in the set come up for sale but not Munson. There aren't as many Munson collectors compared to some of the other HOF'ers that appear in this set so it doesn't make sense. I guess the fun part is the search, right? lol

Baseball, it is said, is only a game. True. And the Grand Canyon is only a hole in Arizona.

-George F. Will
  • Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Regarding the '71 Munson, isn't his name always in yellow?

• Options
    dberk12dberk12 Posts: 399 ✭✭
    It seems that the name is usually in yellow. Perhaps there is a white letter variation?

PaulMaul - That is an outstanding '71T Munson. Really nice eye appeal.

-George F. Will
  • Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: dberk12
    It seems that the name is usually in yellow. Perhaps there is a white letter variation?

PaulMaul - That is an outstanding '71T Munson. Really nice eye appeal.

Thanks, I love it. I searched for a really nice 7 for a long time!

• Options
    toppsfootballtoppsfootball Posts: 68 ✭✭✭
    Don't collect Munson for the master set, but I have a 1976 Hostess Twinkie card PSA 9 and the only Twinkie card graded. Difficult to find without the stains. Also noticed it is not part of the Munson master set yet.

Matt
  • Options
    BkritzBkritz Posts: 1,093 ✭✭
    I have his Dell Stamp in a PSA 9, if anyone needs one!
  • Options
    BKritz is a great seller