Home PSA Set Registry Forum

Hand Cut Panels - Bazooka, Hostess, Drakes, Kraft

Anyone else into hand cut panels ?? See my article in Aug SMR and lets discuss !

Comments

• redlegsredlegs Posts: 908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Armour Phil,

I was very interested in your article, especially on the Hostess panels. I have many of the higher graded Hostess panels and am always on the lookout to expand my collection. Some of the ones that I do have are include...1975 Hostess Panels - with Rose psa 10, with Schmidt/Stargell psa 10, with Palmer psa 10, with Aaron psa 10, with Bench/Perry psa 9 etc. I also have a 1977 with Rose/Seaver/Carew psa 10, a 1971 Bazooka panel with Bench psa 10, and others.

I cut them all myself with a guillotine type of paper cutter and have had good success. A few mishaps with the cutter while ruining a few cards but nothing too major. The Hostess cards take me back when I was a kid sorting through all the boxes on the grocery store floor.

I have been trying to find a nice 1975 Hostess panel with Reggie Jackson but it has been hard to find (short print). I have a few 1976 uncirculated Hostess complete boxes that are just so nice that I cannot bring myself to cut them up.

Phil

• jimq112jimq112 Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭
    phil you have a pm
  • 8irvin88irvin8 Posts: 173
    Hello,

Do you know how much it cost to grade a full hostess panel (3 cards together)? Will the hand cut Hostess cards fit into a normal PSA holder? Should they be cut along the dotted lines around them or on them. I have several JR Richard sets and cards that I would like to send in.

Thanks in advance
    Lenny
  • PSASAPPSASAP Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    I enjoyed reading the article. If PSA would offer a grading special for the panels, I would send all that I have (around 20).
  • I read the article it was an interesting read!
    Jery's T206 set: Looking for PSA 6's & 7's!
  • I have been wanting to read the article as I am interested in some of those for my player sets. Redslegs is the man when it comes to submitting those. I wish I had the eye for the cut as mine keep coming back low. I just got back a 78 and 79 Foster in a 5 and 6. It might have been the card itself as I thought the cuts were pretty good. I want to cut my 78 SSPC Reds but don't have time as I am moving to Las Vegas in a month. It'll have to wait until then.

Slightly Disgruntled Red

Looking for 81-84 Topps Stickers in PSA 9 or better, 81 Topps Scratch offs, 83 Topps Fold outs in PSA 8 or better, 83 Fleer Stamps and 81/86 Fleer Star Stickers in PSA 9 or better.
    >

Red,
    I also have a bunch of commons from the 1978 SSPC set that I want to cut and submit to psa. Eventually I would like to have a complete set graded. I believe I have all of the stars graded except for Rose and Concepcion. From what I have found, both of these are very hard to find without creases. I have owned about 7 or 8 1978 SSPC Reds books and in each case both of these cards always have creases on them.

Also,
    The the 1975, 1976, and 1977 Hostess Twinkies (variation) are very tough to find in high grade due to these cards being inserted into individual Twinkie packs. You always find them with Twinkie stains. The ones that I have had graded were never actually inserted in the packs. You will see on the pop report that there have only been a handful ever graded. I have a bunch from 1977 that I will be sending out tomorrow for grading that includes a Bench, two Stargells, Yaz, Schmidt, Seaver, and Palmer.

Phil
  • QUITCRABQUITCRAB Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭
    Just a thought-I dont like the idea of cutting up a full box to make a panel-I think finding any collectable in its first original state should be worth the most and it is the most desirable in my book.

Has anyone ever seen a 1971 bazooka numbered full box? I have a panel,but have never seen a full box

The Twinkee cards are very tough to find and the stain is always present. If my memorie serves me well, the twinkees have a little black bar code type mark on them and the other hostess cards dont.

I am looking for a full 1965 bazooka box with brooks robinson on it...any out there... I will pay big $$$$
  • MorrellManMorrellMan Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭
    Phil
    Nice article. Have you ever seen a Kraft panel slabbed with the green homeplate heroes portion intact on the right side? I loved this set when it came out and I had the same experiences you wrote about. I had a complete set in boxes that I finally took apart to get rid of the macaroni, plus I have a hand singles set, a hand cut doubles set and a ton of full panels - the left card was the toughest to find and I spent a lot of time on the floor of the aisles sorting through cases of boxes. My favorite at the time was the Mattingly/Schmidt. BTW, I was 37 in 1987 so it wasn't like there was this kid on the floor making trouble. Folks just gave me a wide berth.image
    Mark (amerbbcards)

"All evil needs to triumph is for good men to do nothing."
  • Redlegs,
    I have a great set of the 78 SSPC that I don't think has any issues. I'll have to look again at it closer. I'm not doing any cutting until I get moved but am still looking to aquire some more 78's in the event I make some mistakes. I read the article and found it very interesting. I like the food issues from the 70's and 80's but have to many sets going right now to start another one. I'm sticking to getting those issues for my player sets.

Red

Looking for 81-84 Topps Stickers in PSA 9 or better, 81 Topps Scratch offs, 83 Topps Fold outs in PSA 8 or better, 83 Fleer Stamps and 81/86 Fleer Star Stickers in PSA 9 or better.
    >

• sfmays24sfmays24 Posts: 1,002 ✭✭
    Nice article, Phil

Do you have any 1969 or 1970 Transogram singles or 3 card panels? I have an extra 1969 Ernie Banks cut nicely with all the dotted libne showing.

thanks,

Mike
  • artimusartimus Posts: 684
    phil...i have a group of 1987 kraft hand cut cards that i bought a while back.....i would like to sell them to concentrate on my registry sets....if you know anyone that might be interested in these....please pm me.....thanks....
  • Morrell...

been off on vacation, thus the slow response

I actually thought about sending the Krafts in withthe green part, but then didnt. I assume it would come back as "authentic" but really dont know. If you do it let us know.
  • SFMAYS,

you are correct, the transograms certainly fall into this panels catagory. I personally dont have any of them. The ones usually up for sale are either creased or cut inside the dotted lines.

If you know of any in nm that are available let me know.
  • Redlegs,

do understand the glut of Ryan 1975 hostess ?? My guess was someone snuck a pile of them out of the factory but thats just a guess.

My Hostess goal is to have PSA sets of all 5 years in PSA 8 or better. I've just about got all the high grade panels that I own graded, now it becomes tough !
  • sfmays24sfmays24 Posts: 1,002 ✭✭
    ArmourGuy,

Actually, I snuck out 26,000 Ryan 1975 hostess panels...

As for Transograms... I have an extra Ernie Banks (single, cut outside dotted lines) and two complete Unopened 3-players boxes (with figures & 3 card panels). One box has Marichal, Torre, Banks and the other has F. Robinson, Howard, Riechardt. Feel free to make a cash or trade offer.

thank you,

Mike
    sfmays24
    is anyone interested in a group of 23 1987 kraft hand cut cards...psa graded?......these are the ones with single players on them.....if anyone is interested, i can post what cards i have and the grades....thanks
    If it isn't too much bother, I would be interested in seeing a couple of graded singles to see how PSA grades them and how they look holdered.
    Mark (amerbbcards)

• milbrocomilbroco Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭
    I would also like to see a couple to see how they look graded if it is not too much of a problem.
    Thanks,
    Bob
    ebay seller name milbroco
    email bcmiller7@comcast.net
  • I would be interested in seeing the players and grades

Slightly medicated Red

>

Mark (amerbbcards)

• Ryan PSA 7 in a holder
    Nice Ryan.
    Now can you tell us what made one a 7 and the other a 10?

Mark (amerbbcards)

my guess is the straightness of the hand cut is important for these......but that is just a guess....i know nothing about these cards.....image
  • milbrocomilbroco Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭
    Thanks guys for the scans. Here are the three I am sending in for grading. 9's?......10's?....hopefully.
    Thanks,
    Bob
    ebay seller name milbroco
    email bcmiller7@comcast.net
  • Morrell,

wish I knew.

The Ryan has NO imperfections. Does anyone really think the cut of the Gibson is 3 points better than the Ryan ???
  • the ryan does look better than a 7.......but the top left cut is a bit wide......i assume centering counts on these cards also.......
  • fandangofandango Posts: 2,622
    its easier to safely store these panels if they are slabbed or cut up into individual cards....

i have cut and submitted numerous Mattingly Drakes cards....

i am thinking about submitting this, but i havent decided whether to sut out the panel, or cut out only the clemens....

any thoughts? ps...cool article ArmourGuy!

• I think you should submit all 3 cards together and take advantage of the $7. tallboy special.
    That would look great and keep your price low. $7. for 1 long card, or $39. for 3 cards. hmmmm... I'd take the tallboy.
    Jery's T206 set: Looking for PSA 6's & 7's!
    are you sure these are considered TALLBOYS? i have only submitted individual hand cuts cards, never a panel....

are panels found on player registries, or only the single cut cards?
  • kimo75kimo75 Posts: 263 ✭✭
    does anyone know if PSA grades the Hostess Twinkies in panel form? That is, will they grade them if they are left the size they were in the package and not cut down to card size?
  • mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    The Panels are Supersize, not Tallboys. $15/each.
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Fandango

You have Clemens sitting next to Ryan on a panel and you want to seperate them ??....NO....NO....NO

never mind what they are worth that would be blasphemy !

My favorite is the Kraft panel
    Understood!
  • BAZOOKA

Hi guys ...just got back a 63 Bazooka MAys panel and received a 9. Thought you might like to see. In my view these '60s panels are much rarer and therefore more valuable than their Topps counterparts. However I do understand that value is based both on SUPPLY and DEMAND and the latter is just not as high.

KRAFT

ALSO .....I have just hit 105 /120 on my '87 Kraft panels set. I'll be auctioning off some of the dupes to raise cash, but have no more raw ones to send in. Anyone with MT examples of the ones I'm missing ? let me know if you have and would like to trade or sell.

Phil
    I recently purchased a 1977 Hostess panel that includes Jim Palmer, Joe Morgan, and Reggie Jackson in a psa 9 for $79. I thought that was a fairly good deal since it is the highest graded example.

Hello,
    I wanted to share a couple of recent additions to my 1975 Hostess Panel set. I hand-cut the Thurman Munson panel myself and recently purchased the Fisk/Robinson panel. It has been a very slow process in obtaining panels that are nice enough to have graded.

I also have 4 Hostess panels on ebay right now that end tomorrow night. I have included the links below. All are 1 of 1's except the 1979 Fisk/Foster panel which is a 1 of 2.

Thanks,
    Phil

1979 Hostess Panel with Pete Rose psa 8

1977 Hostess Panel with Willie Stargell psa 9

ViewItem&rd=1&item=190195747806&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT&ih=009">1979 Hostess Panel with Carlton Fisk and George Foster psa 8

1977 Hostess Panel with Phi Niekro psa 9
  • phil, congrats, nice additions, PSA 9's are great with hand cut cards! not many PSA 10 hand cut cards out there....

i use my wife's scrap book slicer, is that what you use?

<< <i>phil, congrats, nice additions, PSA 9's are great with hand cut cards! not many PSA 10 hand cut cards out there....

i use my wife's scrap book slicer, is that what you use? >>

I use "guillotine" type of paper cutter that has a lever attached. We have one where I work and have been fairly successful at cutting these panels. My favorite panel that I have cut my self is a 1977 Hostess panel with Rose, Carew, Seaver that is a psa 10.

Phil
  • Good thread!! I have a small stack of the Hostess boxes that are still in panel form and have never been folded. I am still trying to figure out what my best option would be. They take up a lot of room and I am not sure if psa grades them that big, but I would have a hard time cutting up the boxes to make panels or individual cards.

<< <i>Good thread!! I have a small stack of the Hostess boxes that are still in panel form and have never been folded. I am still trying to figure out what my best option would be. They take up a lot of room and I am not sure if psa grades them that big, but I would have a hard time cutting up the boxes to make panels or individual cards. >>

I know what you mean. I have about ten 1976 unused and unfolded Hostess boxes that I have been going back and forth on whether I should cut them up. They look so nice as they are that I just can't bring myself to do it. The only exception I ever made was on a 1975 Hostess box with Johnny Bench. The only reason I cut that one up was so I could add it to my Bench master set. I ended up getting a PSA 9 for that panel.

What players are on your unfolded boxes?

• << <i>

<< <i>Good thread!! I have a small stack of the Hostess boxes that are still in panel form and have never been folded. I am still trying to figure out what my best option would be. They take up a lot of room and I am not sure if psa grades them that big, but I would have a hard time cutting up the boxes to make panels or individual cards. >>

I know what you mean. I have about ten 1976 unused and unfolded Hostess boxes that I have been going back and forth on whether I should cut them up. They look so nice as they are that I just can't bring myself to do it. The only exception I ever made was on a 1975 Hostess box with Johnny Bench. The only reason I cut that one up was so I could add it to my Bench master set. I ended up getting a PSA 9 for that panel.

What players are on your unfolded boxes? >>

I have the following 1975 unfolded boxes

(2) of Ryan-Smith-Coleman

(4) of Cey-Porter-Carlton

(4) of Bailey-Carew-Hebner

(4) of Tenace-Cardenal-Lee

For whatever reason, the unfolded 1975 Hostess Panels that you listed seem to be very prevalent throughout the hobby. I have owned the very same unfolded boxes in the past. I believe that there are about 30 graded PSA 10 1975 Hostess panels with Nolan Ryan.
  • I bought a 1979 Hostess Panel with Ozzie Smith and Nolan Ryan partially cut already. I cutted it a little better and got a PSA 10 grade for it now it's a one of one and hopfully stays that way. I bought the panel off ebay for like $25 winning bid.

Looking for 1986 and 1987 Drakes panels with Nolan Ryan on it as well as 1987 Kraft panels.

PM or email me at roland_bracken@yahoo.com

Thanks,

Roland
  • Roland,

Any chance you could send me or post a scan of that panel?

Thanks,

Kevin
  • Hi all

I posted a thread on this item last night on the community forum,, in less than a half hour i was forgotten history on the 2nd page.

Maybe this thread is where i should have posted.

If you like panels check this one out, A 1971 Bazooka "numbered" panel. These are very hard to find, especially with the original cuts outside the dotted lines.

The backs are a white stock instead of the brown/tan that were on the regular issue (unnumbered)

There has only been 1 PSA graded "numbered" handcut single. 0 PSA graded "numbered" panels !

I just added this to my Cinnci. Reds (rare/test/seldom seen) collection.

I wonder would it grade at that size ?

Lee
  • tyweb1tyweb1 Posts: 528 ✭✭
    I have been having a very difficult time locating some older Bazooka Panels with Ron Santo. I have found a 65 complete panel and a couple individual hand cut pieces. I am also looking for a complete transogram panel. Any idea where I could find a couple of these items? Thanks for your help.
  • QUITCRABQUITCRAB Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭
    I am also looking for a full 65 bazooka box with brooks robinson (ron santo is on it too) on it-I have a full panel that is graded 7 and will trade it plus some cash for a full box...Thanks Scott
  • mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    ArmourPhil:

You don't have your PM turned on, and I'm not sure I have your e-mail address. I have a Winfield/Sandberg PSA 8 panel from the 1987 Kraft set. Was wondering if you might be interested in a trade?

Cheers,
    M
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • I would love to have these two slabbed for my Garner collection, but I am afraid to cut them myself for fear of messing them up.