Home PSA Set Registry Forum

1975 Topps Baseball Collectors Thread

Allright, I finally gave in and started this thread. Been wanting to for awhile. I am getting to jealous reading all those posts from the 78 collectors and all the fun they are having. Just kidding, it is nice to see so many with that in common. Anyways, for those who collect 75s, I would like to hear from you. How far you are, what cards are hard to find, recent purchases, etc. I am only at just over 5% and will list my set when I am at 10%, I have been buying on average about 4-6 a week. Doing the set in PSA 8 and 9s. So start posting, any advice is needed on this set.

Stingray

Comments

• Hi Stingray

Count me in on the '75 collectors! I finally have all my stars and rookies in PSA 8 or better. My commons are staying raw though, for now.

The set brings back memories from when I started collecting....plus the Brett rookie - you just can't get any better for a Royals fan!

Good to see others collecting this set!

Dal
  • gaspipe26gaspipe26 Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭
    Blatant spam. I have a great 23 card PSA 8 group on Ebay now. I also have 20-30 PSA 9's available. Including Rose and Jackson in 9 on Ebay.
  • StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    Yes Gaspipe I have been watching those cards. I am looking limited on how much I can spend at this point. I am though looking for a #636 Haney (favorite card of set) and I am definetly keeping an eye on one or two of your cards that I am interested in. Right now I have 35 cards, 7 are PSA 9. I have the Jackson, Bench, Robison in PSA 8. I would like to hear what cards have been hard to find. I was watching a card, Lish or Lis (?) card in PSA 8 that was going for over $40 on ebay, do not know what it finally went for though.

Stingray
  • sagardsagard Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Blatant spam. I have a great 23 card PSA 8 group on Ebay now. I also have 20-30 PSA 9's available. Including Rose and Jackson in 9 on Ebay. >>

If your going to spam, include a link please. image

'75s are outstanding. Had they not been so rediculously expensive a few years ago I would likely be working on a set. As it is I seem to have developed another expensive habit.
    What habit do you have? Well now that they are cheaper come back to them.

Stingray
  • sagardsagard Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭

<< <i>What habit do you have? Well now that they are cheaper come back to them.

Stingray >>

'63s in 7. I've got about another $600-$800 left on that set and I'll get on board. Probably in 8s with the tough commons in whatever shape I can get them. image
    I just sent another 380-1975's to PSA today. I might have to do the set myself.
    Did you send in a Larry Haney #626 by chance?

Stingray
    No Haney in this group. I havent found a sharp one yet.
  • stingray:

Here is a list of some very difficult cards in the 75 set in 8's only ( I am not including 9's):

FRANK TANANA
    REGGIE CLEVELAND
    DAVE GIUSTI
    JOE LIS
    RICK MILLER
    ED HERRMANN
    LEN RANDLE
    CRAIG KUSICK
    GEORGE MITTERWALD
    GENE GARBER
    BOB STINSON
    WILL McENANEY
    MARTY PEREZ: VERY VERY TOUGH!!!! only has a pop of 16
    ALEX JOHNSON
    STEVE MINGORI
    BOOG POWELL
    JOHN MORLAN

Hope that helps, most of these will sell at a premium, especially the Tanana, and Perez..

enjoy the set, it is a beauty...

The Link below will take you to the PSA Boards 1952 Set Build, I also have made 5 slideshows each slideshow is 100 cards long, card numbers 1-99,100-199,200-299,300-399, and 400-407
    Link To Scanned 1952 Topps Cards Set is now 90% Complete Plus Slideshows of the 52 Set
  • helionauthelionaut Posts: 1,555 ✭✭
    It's not just low pops that indicate tuffness. There are some cards that, even with apprently sufficient populations that hardly ever come up on ebay (my sole source) and when they do get bid up by player/team collectors as well as set-builders. Check out my set, for example, where I am down to my last 10 cards. Aside from HOFers, I need #6 (Marshall HL pop 43), #90 (Staub pop 41), #343 (Frisella pop 28), and #475 (Darrell Evans pop 29). The last Staub went for over $20, and a Marshall went for something in the teens, I don't recall. I have a limit of about $9 per "common" card (weight-1 cards), but I'm likely going to have to far exceed it to snag them the next time they come around. Some other cards that took forever to find were #459 AL Playoffs, #30 Bert Blyleven (one with good eye appeal), #402 Bob Tolan, #405 John Montague, #564 Tommy Davis, #583 Andy Etchebarren, and #625 Boog Powell. I actually go most of those in a big 79-card lot I bought back in 2002 that really jumpstarted my set, but in tracking the set since then, I know they are all just very rarely offered.

Reds cards like Foster, Hall, Driessen, and Griffey can all be the subject of bidding wars, in addition to the McEnaney.

Yet other cards with fairly low pops can go reasonably, and some get circulated a lot more. #86 Joe Lis at one time was the lowest pop in the set with 6-7-8 cards, fewer than McEnaney, Tanana, Heidemann, Hughes, or any of the other historically tough cards. Yet I bought mine for $8 opening bid, and then two more sold in succession for under $10 each, back around 2003 when low pops were like gold.

It's also cyclical. New players come in, others drop out, and what was once tough gets easy and prices drop, but then they go up again. #18 Tigers team card was like that. It was one of the tough cards 2-3 years ago, then almost overnight you could get one for under $10, then it took off again.

Some 1975 set trivia:
    This set includes one of the greatest "chronological reaches" of any mainstream Topps set. It includes cards of Killebrew and Aaron, who debuted in 1954, and Brett, Yount, Ryan, and Fisk, who played until 1993. That's 40 seasons worth of coverage, or "reach" as I call it. 1963 is the biggest I've figured out so far, with 46 years, thanks to Musial (1941) and Pete Rose (1986). I haven't calculated all sets and I may have missed a player here or there that extends it, but it's a little project I like working on. BTW, 1980 or 81 would have been the biggest by far if they had included Minnie Minoso along with Rickey Henderson. And any set in the late-80s/early-90s that included Pete Rose or Nolan Ryan has a chance to become the new record holder.

It also includes one of the highest HOFer counts, with 31. I'm not counting Al Kaline who has a HL card, but no regular card, which is a little odd, but that's something Topps did at the time. Same thing with Brooks Robinson in 1978. Plus Rose. And Rice, if he gets in. So potentially as many as 34 depending.

It has 3 HOF RC cards, Brett, Yount, and Carter. And Rice.

It has 3 HOF LCs, Gibson, Killebrew, and the Kaline HL.

After a 4-year run, Topps stopped using horizontal images in this set, except for the team and playoff cards. I always thought this was the one great aesthetic mistake of this set (along with the pink/yellow border combo).

Of the top 20 sets on the registry, no one has a single picture included in his set. That's a shame, and I confess guilt, along with the other 19 guys.

Some 75 sales trivia:
    Two complete PSA 8+ sets have sold on ebay to my knowledge. The first was BINned for $10K, I can't recall the overall GPA. I believe it's still on the boards and has been upgraded solidly. The other was sold by notorious binge-buyer lafayette43 for $7500 and it had a GPA around 8.07, but it wasn't registered. The buyer has also upgraded and registered it since.

The highest price paid for an 8 that I ever saw was $255 for the first Will McEnaney. No Brett, Yount, Ryan, or other star came close. In the summer of 2002 when the registry was really cooking with deep-pocketed guys there were several cards that commanded $50-100 sales, such as the McEnaney, #551 Larry Christenson, #647 Claudell Washington (also still a tough card), #612 Terry Hughes and #649 Jack Heidemann. I myself let #353 Melendez and a Cubs team card go for $50 each in private sales which I later repurchased for about $8 each.

PSA 10s are always popular, of course, and while they still aren't cheap they aren't as grand as they once were. I lost my original spreadsheet with 2002 sales data, but I do have data from 2003, when a Bench sold for $1200, and Keith Hernandez was rnm for $1025. The 30 cards I have recorded in that time frame sold for an average of $357, including $700 for a Fergie Jenkins and $289 for a Bake McBride, which I sorely wanted but there's no way I'd have bid that high.

During the summer of 2002, there were four PSA 10 Milt Mays sold in a row, the price sliding from the $150-range to finally about $89, IIRC. Just as Tanana is maybe the toughest to find in solid centered, strong color, sharp edge shape, May is proably the easiest card in the set. Even now, there are 65 8s and 103 9-10s. Getting a 9 on May is like trying to hit water by falling out of a boat or however the saying goes.

And a certain collector once paid $27 for a Dusty Baker 8 because it was a 1 of 1 at the time and he didn't know better. But it was only about his 3rd or 4th card for the set, so he really was trying.
    WANTED:
    2005 Origins Old Judge Brown #/20 and Black 1/1s, 2000 Ultimate Victory Gold #/25
    2004 UD Legends Bake McBride autos & parallels, and 1974 Topps #601 PSA 9
    Rare Grady Sizemore parallels, printing plates, autographs

Nothing on ebay
  • ArnyVeeArnyVee Posts: 4,246
    I've been a fan of the '75 set for the longest! Obviously, I'm really into getting my '72 set complete, but one it's done....I'm jumpin' on the '75s! The Mini set is where I'm going though because I really have always loved those...growing up in So Cal we had a few here and there and I've got a few raw minis. Problem is that a lot of them are not that good...back then I just wanted to say that I had a Reggie or a Rose mini and not have it in perfect shape.

I'm keeping an eye on the minis and have bid on many of them as opening or really low bids in hopes of picking up a few here and there. I've actually picked up three cards at this point....only 657 to go! LOL image
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * MAGIC MASTER #4/BASIC #3
    * PALMEIRO MASTER/BASIC #1
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • mealewormmealeworm Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭
    If anyone knows the whereabouts of 1/16 Carew's in psa 9 LMK.... I would like to make a bid for it.
    1957 Topps 99% 7.40 GPA
    Hank Aaron Basic PSA 7-8(75%)
  • JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi guys, this is a great set and the last year for the player I collect, Harmon Killebrew.

Perhaps I should be starting a new thread, but can I ask about the mini's from the same year here?

I will proceed, and be prepared for the possible wrath of the members for corrupting the thread. LOL.

I have heard that investor/collectors grabbed up the mini's rather quickly when they were first issued, but it doesn't seem that high grade examples (I am looking for a Killebrew in PSA 9) are showing up on eBay. Could they still be sitting on them after 30 years?

Just wondering if anyone had any thoughts on the subject, and of course trolling for the "9" Killebrew mini.

Thanks

JoeBanzai
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Hey Joe,
    Seems to be a steady amount of unopened minis still around.Wax boxes can be had in the range of $1400-1800.Have seen cases around also. I really believe there is a good amount of the regular issue lurking out there as well.The minis are very cool.We had them in California growing up and and pretty sure there was a ton of them in Michigan.The minis are all over the place in regards to the sizes and the centering which makes them tough sometimes.Hope this helps
  • Hey Joe,
    Where you going with that gun in your hand?
  • JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi dakota, thanks for the thoughts on the mini's. I am not sure how I got the lame icon, I had a great one picked out, but I got this one instead.

Went to the Twins game today with my two teenage kids boy and girl. Ooooo Joe Mauer is sooooo cute! Saw my guy there, Harmon Killebrew.

Bobble head day, we got three of the 1965 Twins as they celebrated the 40 year anniversary of the first world series team.

Got Oliva (should be in the HOF) Versalles (1965 AL MVP) and Earl Battey. Really wanted a KIllebrew. I see they are going for $200.00+ on eBay and only 1,000 made.

Getting back to the mini's. With the volume of material out there, I am still surprised that the "mint" ones aren't coming onto the market. It seems that the 1964 "giants" are everywhere in "8" and "9" grades.

I was able to get a Twins Team and a Killebrew McCovey MVP mini, both in a "9" and I have a cello pack with the regular Killebrew on top. I didn't have to break the bank on any of those, so I guess if I am patient, the card I am looking for will always turn up.

To answer your question, "gonna shoot the guy who outbid me on the '74 "9" Killebrew tonight".

JoeBanzai
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • ArnyVeeArnyVee Posts: 4,246
    I picked up a dozen '75 minis tonight as I'm starting to move up the ranks with my very small acquisition. My first priority is my '72 set, but I've started this one on the side just to keep things fresh as I'm already at 76% complete on that one and it's getting harder and harder to find cards for the set without breaking the bank! image

So, I'm picking up cheap commons and a couple of affordable 9s in the minis at less than 50% of SMR. image
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * MAGIC MASTER #4/BASIC #3
    * PALMEIRO MASTER/BASIC #1
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭
    i've listed 20+ psa 8's and a 9 from the 75 regular issue tonite. these are mainly commons and could possibly fill some gaps for you that are interested. thanks for looking.

i had a partial raw set that i broke up and submitted around 100 and this is what i have remaining less the ones i kept. i have a few more raw remaining but i think they would grade an 8 at best so i've not submitted.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • I have 3 PSA 9's NQ, numbers 279, 327 & 374 to trade for 9's that I need. I am under The Splendid Splinter's 1975 Set. Ranked 66

Thanks to all & happy collecting
    Orioles cards from 1960 to today.

Be good my brothers.
  • Dal, I've got hundreds of really nice raw 1975's in strict NM-MT condition that I'm looking to sell including many from the hard to find list that someone else just put out. Please e-mail me at gatorx4@adelphia.net if anyone is interested, Thanks, Jim. I am going to list some of the difficult ones on e-bay this week................
  • Ted, I've got some 1967 high #'s in PSA 8 left, let me know what you need. e-mail gatorx4@adelphia.net......................
  • I started working on this set a little over a year ago. I haven't gotten as far as I would like to be at this point (2.27% complete). With all that I am working on (see my sig line), I think I've done pretty good. The lowest pop I've picked up so far is #655 Rico Carty with only 13 PSA 9's and 6 PSA 10's. Best of luck to everyone! If I come across any extras I'll let everyone know! image

Scott
    Registry Sets:
    T-205 Gold PSA 4 & up
    1967 Topps BB PSA 8 & up
    1975 Topps BB PSA 9 & up
    1959 Topps FB PSA 8 & up
    1976 Topps FB PSA 9 & up
    1981 Topps FB PSA 10
    1976-77 Topps BK PSA 9 & up
    1988-89 Fleer BK PSA 10
    3,000 Hit Club RC PSA 5 & Up

My Sets
    The lowest pop card I have is #217 Lou Pinella PSA 9 at 13. I do not have any 10s, and expect the only way to get one would be to submitt a raw one somewhere down the line. They are just too expensive for me at this point for them in commons.

• << <i> They are just too expensive for me at this point for them in commons. >>

Wait when the big boys have theirs the prices will drop off big time. There is a lot of unopened material out there yet. Also I have noticed that a lot of people tend to sell off their sets after they complete them. Just hang in there wait and you will save a ton of money.
    Just wanted to give a thanks out to Gaspipe for being able to win his 75 Munson PSA 8 that he had up for auction. I have been wanting that card since I started this set and have not won yet.

Stingray
    I feel ill. I just saw that one of my last cards, #475 Darrell Evans, was sitting on ebay for 6 days till it was BINned for $5. I never saw it because my bookmarked search was only for card numbers, not names, and the seller didn't put the number in the title. That's just terrible.
    WANTED:
    2005 Origins Old Judge Brown #/20 and Black 1/1s, 2000 Ultimate Victory Gold #/25

Nothing on ebay
    A damn nice Munson too!
    I can not wait to get that one gaspipe, I have been wanting that one since I started this set.

Stingray
  • seinbigdseinbigd Posts: 206 ✭✭
    Hello mealeworm,

I have this one available.

PM me if you are interested...

Steve
  • Just wondering what the going price for a #660 Aaron mint 9 is going for, anyone see one for sell lately?
  • mcastaldimcastaldi Posts: 1,130 ✭✭
    Pittfan> If I were a betting man, I would say a 75T Aaron in PSA9 would go for over $2000. Aaron is by far the toughest HOFer in PSA9 in the 75 set. And it may well be the toughest PSA9 of any HOFer in any 70s set.

The population of the 75 Aaron in PSA9 is 6. I received the 4th one at the Chicago national in 2002. So in the 3 years since then, there have only been two more 9s awarded. At the 2002 National, there was another PSA9 Aaron for sale by a dealer and it sold in the $1800 range. I traded the one I had to a registry member during the show.

Mike
    So full of action, my name should be a verb.
  • At that price + the price of Nolan Ryan 9 you could come close to buying a really nice PSA 8 set.
    Just wanted to give a thanks to Dakota for making available to me the Larry Haney I have been looking for. See, for all the "Old Timers" great trades and deals can be made.

Stingray
  • mealewormmealeworm Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭
    PM sent seinbigd!!!!
    1957 Topps 99% 7.40 GPA
    Hank Aaron Basic PSA 7-8(75%)
    Pittfan> I would be VERY surprised if the next PSA9 Aaron makes it into a registered 75 set. I would highly suspect that one of the Aaron collectors would sntach it up.

On a side note, if anyone is looking for solid NM/M+ raw 75s, drop me a line and I'll see what I can do. I even have a few (15 or so) PSA8s including Staub.

Mike
  • Mike, I have never seen one on ebay yet, have you?
  • I am so convinced that the Aaron will not be on Ebay that I have started a '75 Aaron 660 fund that hopefully will end up in Anaheim for next year's National. So much comes out of my check just to go into the fund!!

Totally serious!!
    Orioles cards from 1960 to today.

Be good my brothers.
    Question to 75 collectors, I have a Mets team card PSA 8 and can see that it is slightly smaller from top to bottom in the holder (which is actually side to side, since card is landscape). When I stack another 75 on top of it, you can tell that the Mets team card is about 1/32 to 1/16 shorter. Were the cards in vending shorter for 75s. Is this common among 75s?

Stingray
  • Stingray,

It sounds like your looking for an answer with regard to the regular size 75 Topps Cards? I can only relate to the 75 Topps Mini's. But thought it might ring true for both cards? The Mini's definately can very in size. From the 4 boxes of previously unopened material I've cracked and the packs I opened as a kid, I found that card size could very even within a single pack. Certain cards are more commonly found to be shorter than other cards in the set. ie; #322 Ed Goodson, and #647 Claudell Washington, #649 Jack Heidemann just to name a few. Just a collateral result of low cost manufacturing. Seeing how they sold for .15 cents a pack. I'm sure quality control was not the priority it is today image

I'm sure there is much more that can be mentioned with regard to this topic.....but that's my brief thought on the subject image
    Thanks for the help, does anyone else, which I am sure someone does, have a 75 PSA Mets team that they can compare to thier other graded cards and let me know if there is a difference in size?

Stingray
    Anyone notice Kurt's #1 set? He's upgraded another 18 cards to 10s, including #1 Aaron. I think he's only got 2 8s left (slacker), #438 and #660. Unreal.
    WANTED:

Nothing on ebay
    Well I see there is a 75 PSA 9 #660 up for sale, let the bidding wars begin.

Stingray
    Uh, Stingray. . .that's a Mini. Not a regular issue.

Mike
    Oops, for some reason I did not even notice that? Must have had a couple of extra beers when I was looking at that.

Stingray
  • RedHeart54RedHeart54 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭
    Anyone know the wherabouts of a #569 Frank White PSA 9 mini?
    You would be better off posting that in the 75 mini thread.

Stingray
  • BkritzBkritz Posts: 1,093 ✭✭
    I have two psa 9 nq 1975 topps (not mini) that I do not need

# 114 Lange
    # 327 Hairston

I would trade either for any psa 9 1975, 76, 77, 78, 79 Dodger that I need or a psa 9 1980 Derrell Thomas or both for two.

Also, a reasonable cash offer gets you the cards. Just PM ME
    Nice sale on those PSA 10s, who is this bulldog682 who won those cards. He has never bought any cards before then gets those one. Jealousy on my part I guess. Would like to have one PSA 10 for my set, but will have to wait.

Stingray