Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Ethiopia

renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
I'm surprised there are no registries for this culturally rich nation dating back to the second century, aka Axum. IIRC they had the first operating mint on the continent dating back to the 4th century.

How do we get one started?

Comments

• Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe by posting some picture with a little history?
  • Options
    TigersFan2TigersFan2 Posts: 1,442 ✭✭
    I'm going to go out on a limb and assume that not many people collect Ethiopian coins. But that's just a wild hunch.
    I love the 3 P's: PB&J, PBR and PCGS.
  • Options
    mvs7mvs7 Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a few, all dated 1944. Here's one:

The Philadelphia Mint coined 1, 5, 10, 25, and 50 centimes pieces dated 1944 on behalf of Ethiopia, which is part of the World Coins Manufactured by Mints of the United States set.
  • Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: TigersFan2
    I'm going to go out on a limb and assume that not many people collect Ethiopian coins. But that's just a wild hunch.

Maybe so but it defies logic when looking at the current list of countries listed under Africa. I can't believe that there are more collectors of places like Burundi, Congo, Ghana, Rhodesia & Nyasaland, Somalia to name a few. Apparently there are....
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: renman95

How do we get one started?

Send a note to the Registry team with a proposed set(s) name and layout (using PCGS #'s if you know them) and I'm sure they will be able to get something started.