Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

top pop registry bonus

Mr. Wright had a registry thread on the coin forum and it got me thinking. I do like the registry and have a MPL set. I haven't paid attention to it for a while so I went to look to see how the top pop bonuses affected my set since I have a 1/0 and a 2/0 coin (both RB). When I noticed I wasn't receiving the bonus points I sent a quick email to CS. I was informed that even though they are top pops, because they are RB, any Red coins trump them.....

I am a huge koolaid drinker but I'm not sure I agree. According to the rule, if there was just 1 red coin (let's call it a PR 60 RD for this argument) it would preclude a 1/0 PR 67 RB from a top pop bonus.

Point # 2 - this rule holds true for the "colorless" MPL set as well where color is not supposed to matter.

I welcome comments.

Comments

• deefree49deefree49 Posts: 282 ✭✭✭
    My comment is simply that you have made two valid points.

Especially your 2nd point. I can't see how color can enter into the score in any way, especially in the "colorless" category. What happened to simple logic?
    Lincoln coin lover, especially Matte Proofs
  • PerfectionPerfection Posts: 180 ✭✭✭
    Yes the top pop bonus was poorly thought out and helps
    certain people much more than others They should get rid of it.

A set can have better coins overall but lose out to a lower one that has more
    top pops. How is that in the spirit of the registry and collecting coins?

Even with the top pops there are MANY problems. Yours is one.

Another is for example a 67DCAM could be far rarer than a 68.

However the 68 being a top pop would trump it. How can that be right?

• jcpingjcping Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭
    Just follow the rules and play the game. If you don't like the rules, you don't have to play this registry game image
    an SLQ and Ike dollars lover
  • PerfectionPerfection Posts: 180 ✭✭✭
    Yes I might agree with you but the rules changed during the game.

i would not have played if I knew that these changes were coming.

PCGS will never know how many people will not start sets due to others

owning the top pops and therefore making it impossible to get to certain scores.

To own a top set and all of a sudden get beat because someone has lower coins than

you but more top pops hurts.
  • rainbowroosierainbowroosie Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭✭
    Perfection makes good points. The FB/FT was added to Roosies after the fact, changing things greatly. A real 68 Roosie is far rarer than most 67 FT coins. Yes there are exceptions.
    "You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
    rainbowroosie April 1, 2003