Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

How far would you go to finish a set...?

Would you put your finances in jeopardy? By that I mean, would you spend money that you know you shouldn't to get that last beautiful coin?
Lincoln coin lover, especially Matte Proofs

Comments

• Options
    giorgio11giorgio11 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No. There is never a "last" coin.
    VDBCoins.com Our Registry Sets Many successful BSTs; pls ask.
  • Options
    deefree49deefree49 Posts: 282 ✭✭✭
    Well Giorgio, I certainly get that. What I am trying to say is if you were finishing up a specific set and needed a particular coin to do it. Would you spend beyond your means to get it? Sad to say, even tho I know better, I would spend the money. And that my friends, is why I'm usually poor!
  • Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, especially if it is "the one". A signature loan is usually a pen stroke away, and Ramen Noodles are not that bad.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    oih82w8...

Made me laugh! Gr8 pic too...
  • Options
    StoogeStooge Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just short of committing redrum. image

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    jcpingjcping Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭
    I try to not to treat too much difference between last coin and other coins. I saw too many folks paid tremendous amount of money to buy the last coin to complete a set and then decide to sell the set and lost a ton right away. If PCGS put your name onto holder as Pedigree, I might understand; otherwise, why does a set has to be completed?

Last words, I am glad that I decided to work on a set that no one ever completed so I won't have this pressure on me image
    an SLQ and Ike dollars lover
  • Options
    TigersFan2TigersFan2 Posts: 1,442 ✭✭
    I would not rob a bank to finish a set.
    I love the 3 P's: PB&J, PBR and PCGS.
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've finished many sets over the years, most raw but two in PCGS plastic. I decided long ago that I would buy the "last coin" first and just get it done with. Most of us feel that the last coin is the most expensive and thus if you cannot afford it when you start you probably won't be able to afford it down the road.

If you do what I do the set is much easier to complete and actually, for me, more fun.

When deciding what next to complete I always look at the most $$ coin first before I start.

I have backed off certain sets as they are beyond my reach with just the first coin or two.

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    Bob, That sounds like a thoughtful way to go about it. A very sound strategy that makes complete sense. The very same advice was imparted to me by my favorite coin dealer Andy S. from Angel Dee's. He pointed out that you set up the whole thing by the main key coin, especially if and when you ever decide to sell.

If you show your set of Washington Quarters to anyone, they are going to look first at your 1932-D and S and then go from there. Your Indian cents, the 1877 and so on.
  • Options
    Bankerbob56Bankerbob56 Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭
    No. Financial security as a foundation enables me to pursue this hobby. But there are limitations!
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.....

Successful BST xactions w/PCcoins, Drunner, Manofcoins, Rampage, docg, Poppee, RobKool, and MichealDixon.
  • Options
    alifaxwa2alifaxwa2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭
    As a card and autograph collector, wish I had read this sooner. I am currently trying to finish a few sets that only need the last few pieces, and I either can't afford them or find them. Would have save me a lot of frustation to find the keys before I start the set.

Will do this for the next one.
    Looking to have some custom cuts or plain custom cards built? PM me.

Commissions

Check out my Facebook page