Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

Coins sent to Heritage for FUN show end consigned to Tues internet auction

When I consigned these coins with Heritage months ago, I told my rep that I had always wanted to, but never did, consign any coins to the FUN auction. So I was a bit disappointed to see that only one of the 17 coins that I sent to them ended up in a catalog on 'Signature Night' - a 5c pattern that was high R6.
The auction starts Sunday 1/17 and ends Sunday 1/26.
I have 5 coins that will be in this internet auction - and it's a nice variety. There's the Hawaiian quarter already mentioned in an earlier post - PCGS63 rattler with CAC gold bean, a 1983 DDR 1 cent PCGS MS64RB (only 14 better), a 1928-D SLQ PCGS65 CAC, an old green label holder 1936 Albany half PCGS66 (sweet commemorative), and finally a rare little gold piece in a very old light green (almost yellow) label holder - an 1870 25c California octagonal fractional gold graded MS62 by PCGS. It has a Liberty Head obverse with a rarity level 4.
They are all nice coins that should boost a registry set, and with some of the holders being several generations old, the grading standards have, of course, changed since they last passed through our hosts.
I figure somebody should see these, since I get the feeling they're gonna go pretty cheap.

Hawaii PCGS63 GOLD CAC in Old Rattler

Also, links below to the So-Called dollar (fresh from the original felt-lined wooden case) and the 1859-S quarter ("improperly cleaned"??) - please open them & view full page and see for yourself!

1893 Columbian Expo Medal - So-Called dollar

1859-S Quarter, VF details
Don't you know that it's worth
every treasure on Earth
to be young at heart?
And as rich as you are,
it's much better by far,
to be young at heart!

Comments

• jcpingjcping Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭
    Sorry, we can't see your consignment from your link. If you can post lot numbers, I can take a look image
    an SLQ and Ike dollars lover
  • keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is NOT the first time that Heritage has treated consignors like this.

Then with the fees, them making a lot of money off of shipping charges

etc....you should consider Great Collections next time.

If Heritage knows a consignor wants their coins in a specific auction

and on a specific night but know they cannot deliver, they should

NOT take the consignment or at MINIMUM be up front and truthful

with the consignor to let them know so that the consignor can

ultimately decide if they want to allow the coins to sell in the lesser

auction.
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • This is the second time that I have consigned coins to Heritage, and I have not been very pleased either time. I think they are trying to rival or pass up Sothebys & Christies, and have been catering to millionaires rather than coin collectors. After looking things over, it does look GC is the way to go next time - no B.S.
    Anyway, it is looking like this may become a quite a bargain for some bidders, and I will attempt to post a working link.

A note on the 1859-S quarter that's NGC VF details 'cleaning' - it was cracked out of an ANACS holder that was graded VF 'scratched' (for some reason I remember a number - 25 - but I'm not sure if ANACS is in the habit of giving numerical grades to coins with issues), - which is obvious upon close inspection. I think anybody who would consider the many & considerable marks on that coin as 'improper cleaning' is a bit loony - the skin looks original and there are no signs of the typical lateral, fine marks of an earlier heavy brushing. It's a pretty nice example of a key date quarter, with very nice detail for the grade.
    The Columbian exposition So-Called Dollar was in the original round, felt lined wood holder, and anybody that got a chance to see it in hand would be able to tell that it was an obvious gem BU medal, with proof-like surfaces - I was hoping that Heritage would auction it just as I sent it with the original holder - but, no, it had to be sent into NGC to state the obvious (I guess it helps the on-line bidders, and maybe I'll be better off in the end). When I asked them to send the holder back to me, it had already been tossed (or so they told me, since their 'experts' felt that it didn't add value to the item.) In 60 years of collecting, I have never seen another original medal with the original holder from any event that old. I could have kept another similar sized piece in it....oh well.

I put a new link in the OP.
    every treasure on Earth
    to be young at heart?
    And as rich as you are,
    it's much better by far,
    to be young at heart!
  • davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    your links take me to 'my consignments page' and I do not have any image
  • Third time's the charm....the updated link is to the Hawaiian quarter. Pull it up, view it full page, and you'll see that it is under-graded. The fields are absolutely clean, there are no hidden marks in the hair...only a tiny tick on the eyebrow. Unlike several other examples that I have looked at, this coin has never been dipped, and has a nice original skin.
    You can see what I paid for it, with the intention of cracking and getting a point (and maybe a +) or better upgrade, but when I saw the condition of the old rattler style holder, I just couldn't bring myself to do it. As the saying goes, "Buy the coin, not the holder"- but in this case, that old slab has value, since it is as clear as the day it left PCGS, and the CAC gold speaks for itself....so I bought the coin & got the holder as a bonus.
    The link worked for me, so I'm assuming it works for anybody.
    every treasure on Earth
    to be young at heart?
    And as rich as you are,
    it's much better by far,
    to be young at heart!