Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

What's the best way to display my PCGS coin slabs?

Every time I want to look at my coins, I've got to go through the PCGS storage boxes and pull the coins out. I'd love to have a display case that would make this process easier. Anybody have any suggestions? Are there cases designed for easier viewing of coins? Thanks.

Pete
Commems Collector
Subway Tokens

Comments

• Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't have one of these so I can't vouch for them but may be what you're looking for.

Slab album

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    I've been looking online for images of various coin cabinets. I've seen images of quite a few cabinets specifically made for holding coins in drawers of very shallow height (an inch or two), lined with velvet. These are beautiful cabinets but all the images are of antiques and look to be custom made. The following is a web site with images (couldn't get it to enter as a hyperlink, so please cut and paste it for your browser.) Anyway, I was hoping that someone might be making something like these for regular production, but there might be very limited demand for anyone to make a business making these kinds of cabinets.

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=Coin+Collector+Cabinet&FORM=IRIBEP

Commems Collector
    Subway Tokens
  • Options
    MarkMark Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd worry that the wood would emit fumes that would have an adverse effect on my coins.
    Mark

• Options
    labloverlablover Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have used the below for years without any issue. You can also find these at most major coin shows.

Lighthouse Presentation Box (24 Slab)
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers
  • Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,357 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Whether its PCGS storage boxes or a coin cabinet you will still need to pull out the slabs one by one to look at your coins. To closely examine them and I do this regularly with a small group, about 10 coins in 2x2's that sit on my desk, to keep my grading skills sharp for the next coin. To appreciate what I have accomplished. Your goal is to look at the coins, right? I have searched the world over (by internet) to find the best way to store and view my collection. I have also traveled the slab album route and that now is used for a secondary collection. It's more difficult to remove the holders from the album although the ANACS coins were easier to retrieve. When I analyze this situation, I'm looking at the best way to store all my coins. A collection of 200 coins...well, for nickels, its only 5 rolls of coins. But since they are all certified, I really have 10 plastic boxes and that makes for a large, costly bank vault box. But do what floats your boat. The only advise if you go the cabinet route, it might be a good idea to get one that looks like an end table for a lamp and it's lockable. And use the first two drawers for a bottle cap or rock collection. Who would want to steal your rocks?

Leo image

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have you considered an 'hanging photo-clip mobile' ?

• Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Get a good camera put the coins in the SDB after making the digital album in the Registry.

One of mine...Modern Silver Commemoratives.

• Options
    mrcommemmrcommem Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭✭
    There is a company called Peter Nichols that make mahogany coin cabinets. I have one that has circular cut-outs for different denominations of coins. I have had one for many years for my raw childhood collection. This company now will make a cabinet for certified coins in PCGS, NGC and others in slabs. They hold twelve coins in each tray and the inserts are felt lined. They are beautiful but very expensive. I had one estimated for me for 8 trays of 12 coins with a 1 inch drawer at the bottom. Doors and all brass hardware with locks. It was going to be about 750 L, plus 100 L shipping, so over $1000 bucks. The link is www.coincabinets.com.

The only other thing I can suggest for slabbed coins is a wood and felt 9-coin tray that were made by RCI. That is what I have for mine. I had slipcovers that hold 2, 3, and 4 trays with "OVERLAND TRAIL COLLECTION" in gold leaf on the spines custom made. The trays just slide out and the slabs can be pulled out of the tray for further inspection. Since RCI does not make these any more they may be difficult to find. I have seen them on e-bay every once in while.
  • Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,896 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have been using the Lighthouse Velvet Coin Trays for Slabs that are nestled into my Pelican case for a good number of years.

https://www.collectons.com/sho...r-Slabs-TAB-8-USK-Blue

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: sparky64

I don't have one of these so I can't vouch for them but may be what you're looking for.

Slab album

I would be very careful using the Eagle plastic slab holders.

A number of years ago, I purchased many of these pages to hold my collection in three ring binders. They held the coins just fine and it was easy to use. But it had one major drawback. They scratched the slabs. This happened despite being very careful to keep everything clean and I was quite disappointed that many slabs had scratches in all the wrong spots.

So I ditched the system, paid big money to reholder a bunch of coins, and moved to back to slab boxes.

Disclaimer: This happened a number of years ago, and Eagle may well have changed the design or materials to solve this problem. That is why I said to be careful when using these.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    RampageRampage Posts: 9,418 ✭✭✭✭
    The best display case is your hand. image
  • Options
    Originally posted by: Rampage
    The best display case is your hand. image

Chinese proverbial?..........Don't forget to have a 10,000 post giveaway! image

• Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: davewesen

Have you considered an 'hanging photo-clip mobile' ?

Can double as a wind chime too!image
  • Options
    Ah, nothing like the sound of cheap acrylic crackling..........a reminder how thousands were lost.........sigh.

Leo

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,896 ✭✭✭✭✭
    oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    Maybe turn them into art, either canvas or collage poster prints. I've actually just ordered some, first order from shutterfly ans second from Walmart. Should have the results in a week or so but I thought it was fun to make.

Plus, I just had this one framed, my buddy got me the poster for free from a show in CA awhile back.

First attempt poster Walmart 11 X 14 Glossy

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Avery has 'trading card pages' that fit in 3 ring notebooks - 9 holes per page

Pcgs slabs are a tight fit, but if careful they will slide in.

• Options
    Bankerbob56Bankerbob56 Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭
    "Display".......

The first thought that crosses my mind is "danger". I don't think I'd be comfortable with my coins on display. While I have a few Dansco worthy collections, the better coins are locked up nicely in a bank!!!
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.....

Successful BST xactions w/PCcoins, Drunner, Manofcoins, Rampage, docg, Poppee, RobKool, and MichealDixon.
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Having coins or books visible in your home is only looking for trouble.

Electrician ,plumber, doing work inside your home? It's happened to me

and I live in a gated community.
  • Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: grip
    Having coins or books visible in your home is only looking for trouble.

Electrician ,plumber, doing work inside your home? It's happened to me

and I live in a gated community.

There was an article titled Confessions of a Burglar

One point he made was I've been in your house. Maybe it was a delivery, a party, a repairman, an installer, a painter but I've seen the inside of your home in the last 6 months."