Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

Have We Forgotten "Lily Nicole"?

It was the highest ranked, active set of Barber Dimes in the PCGS set registry before being auctioned in April 2015. I did not notice much enthusiasm for the offering. Why not? Furthermore, I did notice that some of the pieces are still available in the marketplace. I saw a couple prior to the SBG auction in November and I mentioned some that are being offered again by Heritage in December. Do the members of this forum care about the "Lily Nicole" registry set and has there been much interest in the re-offerings of quite a few of the pieces?

Curiously, Gardner Coins & Nicole Dimes Re-Appear in Houston

Amazing Barber Dimes Highlight Stack’s Bowers Baltimore Coin Auction

"In order to understand the scarce coins that you own or see, you must learn about coins that you cannot afford." -Me

Comments

• winkywinky Posts: 1,671
    Not interested but WOW what some dimes.
  • AnalystAnalyst Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭
    Winky: "Not interested but WOW ... some dimes."

I have always been very fond of superb, naturally toned Barber coins. Stack's-Bowers, Legend & Heritage have auctioned some amazing Barber dimes over the last 12 months. I am surprised that more people are not showing interest. Even collectors who cannot afford them may enjoy viewing them and/or talking about these dimes. Many are, indeed, amazing!

At the very least, we should congratulate Simpson and the collector behind the "Lily Nicole Collection" for putting together such cool sets of Barber dimes.

insightful10@gmail.com
    "In order to understand the scarce coins that you own or see, you must learn about coins that you cannot afford." -Me
  • MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

We Barber Dime collectors have not forgotten the Lily Nicole Collection. Yes, these coins are superb and not many of us can afford higher end coins. With the Simpson set selling not that long ago, and the Gardner set selling recently, there just aren't enough collectors who are working on a superlative set to absorb all these magnificent coins. I only know of one collector who is continuing to upgrade his collection, and even he has a limit.

So, it's not that no one cares about that collection, it's just so many great collections have all hit the market at or close to the same time. I can't include the Pogue sets, as they were mostly 18th and early 19th C sets. Still, multi-million dollar collections hitting the market place so close together, will and does effect the market.

It's none of my business, actually, but who is Lily Nicole anyway ?
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases

Hayes: We Barber Dime collectors have not forgotten the Lily Nicole Collection. Yes, these coins are superb and not many of us can afford higher end coins.

It is not unusual for coin collectors to wish to learn about and discuss coins that they cannot afford. Indeed, I strongly believe that, to understand the coins that are affordable and the culture of coin collecting, there is need to learn about unaffordable coins.

Hayes: With the Simpson set selling not that long ago, and the Gardner set selling recently, there just aren't enough collectors who are working on a superlative set to absorb all these magnificent coins. I only know of one collector who is continuing to upgrade his collection, and even he has a limit.

It is it being said that most of the superb Gardner, Simpson and Nicole Barber dimes are going into dealer inventories or the hands of speculators?

Hayes: So, it's not that no one cares about that collection, it's just so many great collections have all hit the market at or close to the same time. ... Still, multi-million dollar collections hitting the market place so close together, will and does effect the market.

The offering of multiple great collections is more of a reason to talk about them, not less of a reason. Do multiple offerings lead to more people starting collections of Barber dimes? Amazing pieces are available!

The Incredible Gene Gardner Coin Collection, Part 7 – The Final Auction

insightful10@gmail.com
  • keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In addition to Simpson material, some Lily Nicole dimes are on the auction block again at Winter FUN. It will be interesting to compare their sale prices this time with what they sold for last time.
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:

KeyMan: It will be interesting to compare their sale prices this time with what they sold for last time.

I agree that "it will be interesting." Even so, it is not a good idea to draw conclusions regarding changes in market values without having some firm ideas regarding the circumstances behind the bidding for these in April. Additionally, coins become stale when continually re-offered. So far, after being auctioned one at a time as a set in April 2015, "Lily Nicole" dimes have appeared in the SBG Baltimore sale in November, the current HA sale in Houston and in the upcoming FUN auction in January. Will more re-appear in February and March?

Similarly, since being offered one at a time as a set in December 2014, more than a few Simpson Barber dimes have re-appeared in recent auctions. Do any members of this forum have insights regarding the consignments of "Lily Nicole" or Simpson Barber dimes since April 2015?

Will some of Dr. Shireman's Barber halves be soon re-offered again after selling in January 2016?

Shireman Finest Known Set of Gem Barber Half Dollars To Be Auctioned

Analyst.... You did not answer my only question: Who is Lily Nichole ?
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • I haven't forgotten Lily Nicole - her Christmas gifts are sitting in front of me.

Lily Nicole is the name of my granddaughter who is now six years old. I've named most of my collections after my grandchildren - Joshua and Ally (Ali) Walsh and now Lily Nicole Brown. Set was built 6/7 years ago. I consigned the set to Heritage last summer - it was to be sold at FUN before I found out about Simpson selling his set just before FUN. Heritage agreed to hold the set until Central States to give some time to let Simpson's coins to be absorbed in the market. I actually have six Simpson coins that I bought that I put away because I thought they were such good values.

I don't understand the lack of interest in Barber coins, both MS and proofs, especially the dimes. Nice collectible series with really beautiful coins. I've noticed that a lot of Lily Nicole and Simpson coins have come up for sale recently so it doesn't seem if anyone is putting together a high level set.

One note about the set - the 95-0 in 66+ - it was a 66 when I bought it after it didn't meet it's reserve at Heritage many years ago. Several Barber dime collectors including Stewart Blay and I had to fight to get this coin after the auction. Simpson already had a 66 so he didn't need it. It sold for around $10,000 less than what I paid for it. It was a pop1 and the finest known and a key to the series. Shows how much the market has decreased for the series.

• StoogeStooge Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I see a lot of the "Lily Nicole Barbers" on eBay from time to time. Absolutely stunning coins.

Later, Paul.

Joshua, welcome to this thread. Your post solves a mystery and sheds light upon the situation. I very much appreciate your participation. Other than two or three auction cataloguers, no one has written more about gem Barbers than I have. Plus, I have spent countless hours examining them.

Joshua: I haven't forgotten Lily Nicole - her Christmas gifts are sitting in front of me. Lily Nicole is the name of my granddaughter who is now six years old. I've named most of my collections after my grandchildren - Joshua and Ally (Ali) Walsh and now Lily Nicole Brown.

It is interesting that the Joshua, Ally and Lily Nicole sets were all built by the same collector. If this point had bee publicized before the auction, some more interest might have been generated.

Joshua: Set was built 6/7 years ago.

This is not clear. When was this set started. When was it completed?

Joshua: I consigned the set to Heritage last summer - it was to be sold at FUN before I found out about Simpson selling his set just before FUN. Heritage agreed to hold the set until Central States to give some time to let Simpson's coins to be absorbed in the market. I actually have six Simpson coins that I bought that I put away because I thought they were such good values.

Were those bought out of the Legend auction one year ago or at a later time?

Joshua: I don't understand the lack of interest in Barber coins, both MS and proofs, especially the dimes. Nice collectible series with really beautiful coins.

I have been interested since I was five years old. I have been appreciating gems for decades. I hope that "Joshua" read my articles about the Hugon Collection in Numismatic News newspaper in 2005.

Condition Ranking of 1894-S Dimes, with Recent Histories

Denver Mint Barber Half Dollars of 1907, with comments on condition rankings

Joshua: : I've noticed that a lot of Lily Nicole and Simpson coins have come up for sale recently so it doesn't seem if anyone is putting together a high level set.

I thought that I made this point clear through the original post to this thread.

Stooge: : I see a lot of the "Lily Nicole Barbers" on eBay from time to time. Absolutely stunning coins.

I made it clear that Lily Nicole Barber dimes have been re-appearing in Heritage and Stack's-Bowers auctions. I was not aware of appearances on eBay. Who has been offering them there?

insightful10@gmail.com

• keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't forget the "Joshua II" set of Mercury Dimes. I owned the 1931-D 67FB for a few years. image The luster on it was fantastic!
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:

Thank you JOSHUA ... I had no idea it was you who owned the Lily Nichole set of my favorite Dime. Naming your sets after your Grandchildren is a wonderful idea. I have to agree with Analyst however, if the connection to the Joshua and Ali collections had been known before the Lily Nichole auction, I think it would have generated additional interest in the sale.

Regardless, it was a very impressive set and I have followed it being sold and resold after the auction. I have been working with another collector in building one of the finest collection of Barbers ( all series ) and we have gotten quite a few of Lily's coins. Congratulations on amassing one of the nicest group of Barber Dimes I've had the pleasure of viewing.

Merry Christmas !!

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭

bump

Have these coins made a presence in any major collections now?

• erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭✭✭

What a great re-read! I still see them occasionally. Im working on a MS set of dimes, but its a long way from complete!