Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

Is there a reason that a registry type set that mirrors the "7070 album" does not exist?

Is there a reason that a registry type set that mirrors the "7070 album" does not exist?

I would say at least 50% of type collectors are interested to some degree in the 7070 album and making a registry set that duplicates it seems to be obvious to me.

I don't think it is possible to copy write the list of coin types in the 7070 so I don't see how that is a reason not to? So I can't think of any reason not to do so, but yet it hasn't ever been done.

Anyone know the reason(s)?

Comments

• giorgio11giorgio11 Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think this would be a good question/request for BJ Searls.

Best Regards,

George
    VDBCoins.com Our Registry Sets Many successful BSTs; pls ask.
  • oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The "Basic U.S. Coin Design Set No Gold (1792-present)" is pretty darn close, with the added exception of the Draped Bust Dollar (which is my only "hole" in my set).
    oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug...
  • No, the 7070 is much more than the Basic.

The 7070 has several that the "Basic" doesn't have. And it doesn't have several of the VERY COSTLY coins required in the "Complete Design Set".

Honestly the 7070 is a far better representation of mid-level collector coins than either the "Basic Design" or the "Complete Design". Let's compare:

Half Cents:
    - The Basic Design requires 1 half cent. One? I don't know who determined that since there are several very distinctive designs at use for several years each.
    - 7070 has 3 half cent types. All of which you can get a reasonable example without breaking the bank.
    - Meanwhile the "Complete Design" requires 5 types, the 1793 of which will cost around $4,000 in G4. A very cost prohibitive coin for many collectors.

Large Cents:
    - The Basic Design again only has 1 large cent. One? Too few.
    - 7070 has 4 large cent types. The older of which is costly at MS levels but you can get a VF40 for around $1,400. A lot but doable for mid-level collectors.
    - Meanwhile the "Complete Design" set requires 7 types, where the Chain Cent and Wreath Cent are both quite costly even in the "G" grade levels. Cost prohibitive for many collectors.

Small Cents:
    - 3 for both the Basic and Complete
    - 7070 includes 5 additional types. All of which can be found in reasonable conditions for under $1,000. I think most collectors would like to include these in their type set.
    - The steel cent and memorial cents alone are obvious inclusions as they are very unique and yet somehow bypassed by both the Basic and Complete design sets?
    - Can someone explain why 7 types of large cents are required in the Complete Design and only 1 type of Lincoln and 1 type of Indian head?

They are the same for "2 Cents" and "3CN".

3 Cent Silver:
    - 1 for both the Basic and Complete
    - 3 for the 7070. All of which can be had quite easiy for under $1,000. Seems like an obvious inclusion once again.

I could go on, but in EVERY SINGLE denomination the smarter choice for the mid level collector is always the 7070.

My goodness the Complete Design set requires a "Half Bust Disme"! Try to buy one of these that isn't "details" for under $15,000. You could fill the entire "7070 type" with PCGS graded coins for $15,000!

Bottom line the 7070 represents very well what a mid level type collector could attain. The Basic Design eliminates far too many "attainable types" and the "Complete Design" set doesn't include some of the "attainable types" but includes several very expensive types!
  • DrPeteDrPete Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭
    I agree that this sounds like an excellent proposal to send to BJ Searls at PCGS. The registry set is very expansive, very inclusive, and the 7070 set sounds like a terrific idea. I can't imagine that PCGS won't run with it. Give them a chance, as it may take time for them to implement.
    Dr. Pete
    Barry, I do agree with you that the "Basic" set is too basic in comparison to the 7070. However,with the PCGS Virtual Albums, you can make your own custom album, I am in the process of doing just that including "overlooked" coin types that are not in the 7070, like the Standing Liberty Quarter Type III (recessed date) 1925-1930...that omission has bugged me for years about the 7070. The three types of Three Cent Silver is another. The 1873 & 74 with Arrows on the Seated Liberty series.
    oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug...
  • oih82w8,

While I am aware you can create your own "album", I think that a lot of people enjoy working toward a common goal.

Additionally by creating a 7070-esque type set, it would allow PCGS to assist collectors trying to upgrade with the various tools within the PCGS registry system. I'm sure that a lot of collectors use the "Shop" links that appear under coins that have a coin of that type currently in one of various market places.
    Agreed, there should be a "ready made" in the PCGS Registry Sets.

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I ask BJ for this type set and for a Variety Type Set. Her response then was that they felt they have enough Type Sets and didn't want to add anymore at this time.

• << <i>I ask BJ for this type set and for a Variety Type Set. Her response then was that they felt they have enough Type Sets and didn't want to add anymore at this time. >>

That's essentially what she told me as well, although she did indicate she would speak with David Hall during ANA.

I don't think its a matter of "too many sets" as all the sets other than the "Basic Design Set" suffer the exact same problem: They include several coins that are outside the price range of most collectors.

Meanwhile every coin in the 7070 can be had for under $1,000 each!

Why not create a type set that has a wide variety of accessible coins?

And doesn't it feel like if the 7070 were a type set that it would be the most popular one?
  • StoogeStooge Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not to throw a wrench into the fan, but if you go next door to PCGS's sister company PSA which runs the registry for baseball card collecting and other cards, they literally have thousands of sets and there is a link on their website to a registry set request list which is a mile long. All you have to do is request a set and within a short time frame it is on the list. That is something that PCGS does't do here. I've always wondered why it takes the parting of the sea and a committee of a hundred to request one single stinkin' set.

I for one would love to see a 100% complete dime set 1796-date with all varieties including JR numbers for early dimes and fortin numbers.

Later, Paul.
  • DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    >>>I for one would love to see a 100% complete dime set 1796-date with all varieties including JR numbers for early dimes and fortin numbers.<<<

I tried to get the Dimes by JR number added to the Complete Dime set and NO_GO. They are making a Complete Fortin set (1400+ coins), but it won't go into the Complete Dime set either!

I am doing the Complete JR set, but don't plan on doing the Fortin set. Way too minor differences. A lot of year and mm coins have 30+ different coins .... with the only difference is the date position or die cracks etc!

I would like a set with all the different date sizes and mint mark sizes and all actual differences. It wouldn't be near 1400....probably around 300 or so.

JMHO