Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

Finally took photos of my MPL's for my Registry Set

Hope you enjoy the photos my set of Matte Proof Lincolns. It is doggiedad-FunwithMPL set.

Also I have a book titled "A Study of Matte Proof Lincoln Cents 1909 to 1916" it contains one hundred and seventy pages with color photos. Showing close-up photos of the diagnostics for each die know. I also have a number of coins showing the different die stages. The cost of the book is $ 25.00 and that is postage paid. Anyone interested my address is Carl Waltz Jr. PO Box 62, Millersville, PA. 17551. Any question my e-mail address is cwmplbook@aol.com.

Thank You,
Carl
Collector

Comments

• cointimecointime Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Carl,

A truly nice set you assembled. I like the details in the photos also image

Link to your set
  • onlyroosiesonlyroosies Posts: 3,281 ✭✭✭✭
    This is a great looking set. You must be very proud
  • FunwithMPLFunwithMPL Posts: 328 ✭✭✭
    cointime, Thanks for the link. Carl
    Collector
  • robecrobec Posts: 6,577 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great looking set!!

Your 1915 sure looks more RB than BN.
  • Great set, thanks for the images.
    David
  • WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fantastic set! Folks, if you have not bought his book, do so, it was fun studying the Die State of each MPL I had.

WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
    The 1909 was one of my first MPL's.
    Collector
  • deefree49deefree49 Posts: 282 ✭✭✭
    I've just finished going through Carl Waltz's book "A Study of Matte Proof Lincoln Cents : 1909 to 1916. Anyone who is interested in collecting these storied coins would profit greatly from this book. The detailed images in the book will give you the confidence to accurately identify genuine proofs. This can be tough and strong business strikes have been passed off as genuine matte proofs and some even have been graded as proofs by third party services. If you are going to collect these, I strongly urge getting this book from Carl. I have not encountered a better book for identification purposes so without any reservations I recommend this book very highly. I was able to not only verify my own coins as genuine proofs, additionally I could determine exactly which die pair each coin was created with. Quite a good feeling to be armed with this knowledge! If you collect Lincoln Matte Proofs, buy this book!
    Lincoln coin lover, especially Matte Proofs
  • AblinkyAblinky Posts: 625 ✭✭✭
    Great set.

Andrew Blinkiewicz-Heritage

• lusterloverlusterlover Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭✭
    Nice set indeed. Thanks for refreshing the thread. Welcome deefree. There is an MPL posse in these parts and you are more than welcome to ride along.

PS - does our host realize the last column "total pop higher" is incorrect in the MPL registry sets?
    Lusterlover - "LL", Thanks for the welcome! I love MPLs. When I got the first good look at one of those iconic MPL rims, I got severely hooked. Actually it is more a mystery to me why someone wouldn't favor them over business strikes. The vivid details, the variations in color, toning patterns and the rarity are some of the more obvious attractions. Proofs are just better made, requiring more pressure, time and care to manufacture than business issues.

DeeFree, I saw your Registry a few days ago, gorgeous set. Nice to see a new Posse member. You should have been here 5 or 6 years ago. It seemed like every other thread was an MPL thread.
    Hi Bob - Saw your comment on my Registry and wasn't sure where to find you to say thanks...So thanks for the welcome and the nice comment!

Yeah, seems I'm either too early or too late to the party - story of my life. It is something to be hooked - I find myself day dreaming about getting a VDB far too often.

Anyway, glad for most of what I've found so far.

I wonder if MPLs will ever become a hot topic again someday? Or did they have their "15 minutes of fame" and now have just settled into a steady little niche?
    Whoa Bob!! I just took a good look at your Registry of matte proofs. Wow! I totally get your taste in coins. I am in awe of your set. Yours is the first set I've looked at where after seeing a couple of the coins, I didn't even bother to check the grades. In other words, I completely forgot about the grades! Who cares when the coins just speak for themselves? Nice work putting that set together! I thought what I was doing was pretty good but now I can see, my rookie status has jumped out at me all over again. Wow man, super job!
    Thank you DF.

Only two of those coins (1913 and 1915) are part of my original set. The other dates have been upgraded 2-3 times. By upgrading I don't mean strictly by grade. 3 of the dates went from 66RB to 66BN.

You are in a better position now than what we experienced in 2008-09. MPLs were so hot the prices were going up on a daily basis. Prices have dropped considerably since its high water mark. Because of that, now is good time to buy if you can find them. Great ones are still going to command a premium though.
    You are most welcome Bob! Well, I just put up a couple of more photos - and you can see some of the color in the 1910 but these are not great shots. I have to keep working at it...
  • kevinjkevinj Posts: 972 ✭✭✭
    Hi Carl,

Congrats on getting your MPL book done.

I remember John Burns telling me about a year before he died, that he had helped publish/print a book for someone, is this the same?

If you have not already, might consider donating one to the ANA library, first, they list new books in the Numismatist with a write up, and sometimes, when collectors borrow books from the ANA library, they then purchase a copy for themselves if they enjoy.

Kevin
    Kevin J Flynn
    Kevin, Yes this is the book that John helped me with. Carl
    Collector
  • kevinjkevinj Posts: 972 ✭✭✭
    Its a nice book Carl, I remember how proud John was of it and his being able to help you.
    I like the fact that PAN has a library now dedicated to John at their show so we can remember him.
    Kevin
    Kevin J Flynn
    Kevin, I have your book and Carl's as well. Just my opinion but anyone who is interested in learning about MPLs would benefit a lot from these books. First, they are indispensable references for identifying MPLs. Second, from my own experience as a collector, it adds a great deal when I can read about the coins I'm collecting.

I've made both books "my own" by scribbling observations and little discoveries in the margins. What a beautiful mess I've made of them!
  • RampageRampage Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭✭
    Very nice!
  • Bankerbob56Bankerbob56 Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭
    Excellent.....
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.....

Successful BST xactions w/PCcoins, Drunner, Manofcoins, Rampage, docg, Poppee, RobKool, and MichealDixon.
  • garrynotgarrynot Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭
    Impressive. The 1909 VDB looks RB also.
  • garrynotgarrynot Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭
    Love it
  • WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have both at arms reach of my desk. I consider them required reading for anybody who collects or sells Lincoln cents.

WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • renomedphysrenomedphys Posts: 3,487 ✭✭✭✭✭

Did the same yesterday:

pcgs.com/setregistry/publishedset.aspx?s=46237

Let's take back the set registry forum!!!

• ChrisRxChrisRx Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭✭

Great mattes, matt!

I'll get back into them $ome day ;)

• Fantastic set !

• Rainbowlover1
  • labloverlablover Posts: 3,589 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well matched set!!! Very nice...

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers