Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Updated my 1964 Mint set

cointimecointime Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
A couple days ago, I just got back my 2 Jefferson nickels I had sent in for regrade. I was pleased that both had upgraded and moved my set up a little closer to the all time best. I really was impressed with the quality that the new holders have. The coin in hand feels very nice image

My 1964 Mint Set

Comments

• Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Awesome Mint Set. Congratulations.
    I'm fond of that year as well.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,537 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I should collect that year....it's the year I left home and moved to Vegas, baby.

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    Thanks guys! I guess I am fortunate that Louis Eliasberg did not have better '64 specimens or I would be competing against him image
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,688 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great set you are assembling. That 64-D nickel is TOUGH in that grade!!

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What a great year to focus on!
    "I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The nickel is worse than tough for that year. Like impossible? At least for me. I'm not an expert, so maybe that's why I can't find a good one. Just don't know where to look or who to ask where to find one.
  • Options
    winkywinky Posts: 1,671
    Congrats on your set, very nice coins.
  • Options
    Hydrant,

There are a couple (1 each P & D) MS66 Full Steps on Great Collections, I am not sure why they have not sold the last 4 or so weeks. I think the grades are good, maybe the angle of the photos make the steps look not so good, or possibly the auction starting price is too close to PCGS guide...

Winky,

Thanks for the kind words image
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,537 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stellar set!

But, not putting the set down, how does it obtain that rating with only two 67's? Does not make much sense to me.

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    Bob,

Great question. The 64-p 5c get an additional .5 point for the + and the 64-d 5c is top pop so an additional 1 point. Looking at the pops there are a number of coins to take 1st place easily. I have been working on this set a while, but slow and steady. I have a few coins I am working to make myself. You can look at the all time finest sets and see a few that jumped in made their marks and jumped out. I'm in for the long haul image

Ken
  • Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The nickel is to simply die for.
  • Options
    Ken:

Keep at it... You're almost there! image Back when I was working this set, the only thing that kept me from taking the #1 AT set from Dave/Nick Shelton was their unwillingness to let go of that 1/0 '64-D 50C in MS68. That said, you've already bested my #2 AT set at least w/ your '64-D 5C.

pws
  • Options
    Sam,

Thanks for the words of encouragement image I've read Mitch's post about when the '64-D Kennedy first was shown around the bourse floor and his thoughts on the then raw coin image We may see another MS68 1964 Kennedy half made someday and I think it will have to be a head turner like the existing one is today.

You know it was because of you selling your nice '64 mint set at Heritage is why I sent my 2 nickels in for regrade. Your '64-D Jeff sold for pretty strong money and afterwards I noticed it upgraded, I thought to myself that my coin had a shot as well image Good luck with your Kennedy sets, they are also is looking great image