Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

Anyone up for some Roosie Talk? - Thread #2

StoogeStooge Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭✭✭
I had a request to start another Roosie thread due to the fact the first one has been so popular over the past 15-16 months that it is hard to keep track of all the information. What I will do it this, I will post a link to: Anyone up for some Roosie Talk - Thread#1 and if anyone wants to add to the thread #1, they are most welcome to do so.

So, I have a question for the Roosie gang.

1) I see that there have been a lot of "Omaha Band Hoard" Roosevelt Dimes 1946-1964 for sale lately, and was wondering if it was possible to complete this set in MS66FB. I have read in a few places doing research that this is the only coin/denomination in which you can complete an entirely graded PCGS set. It didn't say as to what grade of whether they all had FB's for all dates. Does anyone have any information? Also heard that some of these coins are undergraded. Any opinions?

2) I see on Heritage that 1-2 Dimes of the sale of Paul Kiraly's Roosies that sold in Dec. are back in PCGS slabs. Anyone here have any luck with crossovers of their purchases, or is everything still hush hush?

Paul.

Later, Paul.

Comments

• winkywinky Posts: 1,671
    So glad to see a new Roosie thread today. I am not sure about the Omaha Band Hoard coins but I will get into mine and check to see if I have any of them. I have seen a lot of them on GC lately tho.

Who is Paul Kiraly's Roosies? I would like to know if he has a registry set to look at.

Love those beautiful Roosie's in any grade. :1Applause

Ken (winky)
  • onlyroosiesonlyroosies Posts: 3,281 ✭✭✭✭
    Paul,

I don't think you could complete a set of "Omaha Band Hoard" Roosies in 66FB. As far as them being under graded, I haven't heard that nor have I
    seen any I would class as under graded.

I see a few of the Paul K. dimes have crossed. I didn't buy any out of the auction
    nor will I be bidding on or buying any that have crossed.
  • StoogeStooge Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Paul,

I see a few of the Paul K. dimes have crossed. I didn't buy any out of the auction
    nor will I be bidding on or buying any that have crossed. >>

OnlyRoosies,

I sent you a PM regarding this quote.

Later, Paul.
  • rainbowroosierainbowroosie Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭✭
    Coin time,
    Looks 67 plus no bands. What is it?
    "You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
    rainbowroosie April 1, 2003
  • BGBG Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi. Please let me know how the pricing on the 1957-P and D have been recently.

In years past I know it took good money to get one in 67FB.

Have many been made or still pricey coins at this level?

Hi BG, I'll sell you a 57D PCGS 67FB for $350. PM me if interested

Onlyroosies
  • labloverlablover Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ok, I know we're in PCGS territory, but anyone want to consider a complete set of NGC MS67* (or better) Dime Set? The first complete set of NGC Star Dimes assembled. Will consider offers...especially from the Rossie Bros.image

Seven Stars Registry Set
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers
    I don't do NGC, I am a PCGS Roosie guy.image
  • BGBG Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Ok, I know we're in PCGS territory, but anyone want to consider a complete set of NGC MS67* (or better) Dime Set? The first complete set of NGC Star Dimes assembled. Will consider offers...especially from the Rossie Bros.image

Seven Stars Registry Set >>

Wish I had the cash, I'd be a player.

<< <i>I am 0/3 on crossing Kiraly dimes (and at 68fb min on 69fb ones). My 83-d has to be a better coin than the Heritage 83-p. I have 3 others I haven't tried yet. >>

I really don't see how some people get the luck of getting a coin such as that one into a holder like that. If I were to have sent that in myself, it would have crossed at an MS65 no FB. I have no luck when subbing coins to PCGS.

Later, Paul.

That 64P above is a stunner. When I come to this thread I have to pause and stare at it for a minute.

Jim, Great set you have across the street. How long did it take you to put that together? If I wasn't an FB
    collector we'd be talking.

One of the Kiraly dimes that should cross was his 51S 68*FT. He bought that coin in a PCGS 68FB holder
    and crossed it to NGC so he could have all NGC coins in his set. I think he took a 50% - 60% loss on the
    coin selling it in the NGC holder.

<< <i>One of the Kiraly dimes that should cross was his 51S 68*FT. He bought that coin in a PCGS 68FB holder
    and crossed it to NGC so he could have all NGC coins in his set. I think he took a 50% - 60% loss on the
    coin selling it in the NGC holder. >>

Nick,

What was your overall opinion of the Kiraly sale, including the Clads? What would you have done with those Dimes if they were yours and were looking to unload? I for one am always interested in hearing your take on the subject.

Later, Paul.

<< <i>Jim, Great set you have across the street. How long did it take you to put that together? If I wasn't an FB collector we'd be talking. >>

Nick, Appox. 5 years to complete the set, although I was not always searching with effort. Cheers...
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers
    Anyone enjoy a quality bottle of wine when viewing your coins? I think it makes my coins better!image
    <<What was your overall opinion of the Kiraly sale, including the Clads? What would you have done with those Dimes if they were yours and were looking to unload?>>

Paul Kiraly single handedly doubled the value of NGC MS68*FT dimes overnight many years ago. He pushed them higher
    then what PCGS MS68FB's were selling for at the time. the same with low pop NGC MS67*FT dimes. That's why PC dimes
    were being sent over to NGC. This attracted a couple other high end collectors on the NGC side for both silvers and clads.
    At one time several years ago I was sitting at Dinner in Orlando with a couple of these collectors (including rainbowroosie)
    I had just got graded at NGC the 1954S and 1953P MS68*FT pop 1/0 dimes. I submitted them for another collector, I did
    not own them at that time. One of the collectors offered me $16,500 for both. I called the owner and he turned down the
    offer. Today all of these collectors (except rainbowroosie) are gone and Paul, who started all of this was the last to throw
    in the towel. Prices plummeted. There's an NGC 50S 68FT on eBay right now for $1500. When all the hoopla was going on
    that coin would have brought $4000 - $4500.

The moral of the story: If you need to unload you will take a loss, if you're the last to unload expect about 30c - 50c on the dollar.

You ask.... What ever happened to the other collectors that got out early. They worked (through a very reputable dealer)
    their dimes. crossing some back to PCGS and selling others in NGC holders as top specimens. They also owned top quality
    coins so crossing them back to PCGS wasn't too difficult. They had quality coins and got top dollar for them. They got out
    whole. They didn't have to "unload" and gave the coins time to sell.

What ever happened to the 54S & 53P NGC MS68*FT dimes? I have to tell you these are 2 of the Best Roosies on the planet.
    Either one would be the crown jewel of any set. Both dimes now reside in the "Almighty Dimes" set..image

Just a little Roosie story
    Onlyroosies
    <<Anyone enjoy a quality bottle of wine when viewing your coins? I think it makes my coins better>>

Great Idea Jim, But I don't think the Bank would appreciate bringing a bottle of wine in with me...image
    OnlyRoosies,

As always, an unbelievable Roosie Dime story.

I can relate only to the clads in some manner the Proof issues. I put together a complete (At the time) 69/70DCAM set of Roosies and had a feeling that the market was about to give. I sold those dimes complete on eBay and received really decent coin for the set. I actually made money which I found shocking, yet fulfilling d/t where prices are now. Some 70DCAM dimes were bringing $300+ at one time. Now you can pretty much fill a run date all the way back to 1977 for around $20-$25 per dime. Anything from 1977 to date in a 69DCAM is a loss when subbing.

It is not worth it.

I pick up some dimes that I like that are decent for the grade or selling for stupid money.

Case in point. I had a 1958-D PCGS MS67FB I just won on eBay for $60.50 delivered. I'm sorry but I am not letting a coin like this sell for that cheap and not at least put a "Token" bid in. I just happen to win it. I will see it when it is delivered to see if it deserves the grade.

Have You seen a silver 7FB PCGS dime sell for so cheap?

Later, Paul.
    OnlyRoosie story is good reading and congrats Stooge on the pick up, nice going. image
    Have any of you heard the latest Roosevelt Dime news? Somehow I missed hearing about this at the time, but rest assured, it will probably end up in the C.P.G. book and on the Roosevelt Dime PCGS complete variety list.

Evidently there are issues (Several Dates) that exhibit doubling on the mouth of Roosevelt and are now being compared to the "Hot Lips" version of the 1888-O Morgan Dollar.

Here is the Numismatic News article

a 2nd N.N. article

Here is a 1964 picture of the "Hot Lips"

Here is another discovery, a 1955-S "Hot Lips"

Later, Paul.
    PCGS List these "Hot Lips" DDO's as a minor variety. I've also heard of one dated 1946. I'm not sure they will show up
    in the CP guide because of the multiple dates they are found with. I'd pay a couple hundred bucks for an MS example just to
    have one.
    Yea, I'll take one also. image
    The upcoming Sotheby's and Stacks auctions of the D. Brent Pogue has me a little curious about the Louis E. Eliasberg collection.

I read that Pogue had purchased at auction back in the '80's the entire Copper & Silver Eliasberg collections....so do any Roosevelt Dimes exist from this collection? Has anyone seen any Roosevelt Dime graded with an Eliasberg pedigree attached to it, or even a raw one for that matter? I read where Eliasberg did collect proof set each year from the mint after 1950 to keep his collection intact, but not sure about Unc. coins, as He had mostly Proof issues for a lot of his coins.

Does anyone have any info regarding this?

Later, Paul.
    Anybody out there seen the 1964 Double image dime on ebay for $10,000.00? I'm still laughing. imageimage

<< <i>Great Idea Jim, But I don't think the Bank would appreciate bringing a bottle of wine in with me... >>

Ok Bro, I'll just bring one with me when we visit later in the year...get ready to pop them out of the bank.
  • Labelman87Labelman87 Posts: 610 ✭✭✭✭
    Hello Roosie collectors,

As a Barber Quarter and Classic Head $5 guy (and an infrequent Thread viewer) I was impressed with the knowledge here. I am interested in opinions of what to do with my old collection of Roosie Rolls that I put together in the late 1970's. Most were originally wrapped but removed and were placed in inert tubes. The set is 1946 through 1964 excluding the following: 1947, 1947-s, 1948-s, 1949, 1949-s, 1950-s, 1951-d, 1951-s and 1952. The set has two 1954-s rolls. There are also a few 1957-s and 1958-s toned coins in addition. They are housed in two special dime boxes that are quite heavy.

It seems a shame to let these sit (as I have for years and years). Suggestions? Thanks!
    Craig

I don't know anyone doing a roll set of silver Roosies. I see them on ebay from time to time but pass right by.

Sorry I have no answer for you
    Well I love Roosie's but a roll dime set is just going to far for me. I would pass also.
    This Roosie thread has been quiet as of late.

I'm headed to the Central States Numismatic show just outside of Chicago either Thurs. of Fri. I haven't yet decided.

I will be on the Roosie Dime hunt! image

Later, Paul.
    Good hunting!
    "You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
    Stooge I hope you find at least 3 double nose dimes. One for you, one for Nick and one for me. image
  • georgiacop50georgiacop50 Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i> Hi. Please let me know how the pricing on the 1957-P and D have been recently.

In years past I know it took good money to get one in 67FB.

Have many been made or still pricey coins at this level? >>

How is the FB market doing?

I notice there is a 1957 MS67FB offering on on of the internet auction sites with a starting bid of HALF PCGS price guide with no takers for a couple of weeks!

Are things really that weak? or is the guide that out of whack? or??

It's not like the pops are exploding on those, that is for sure...

All of the above. The pops are exploding. PCGS price guide is way off (20% - 50%) for most dates. Collector base is non-existent.
    The 57P 67FB that is listed on GC is IMHO a $900 coin. The pop is now 9/2. 4 years ago it was 4/0. If you bought Quality back
    then you can send your coins back through PCGS a few times in hopes of receiving a +. The way I see it is the only way any date
    graded 67FB can hold it's value is with the + added to the grade. All MS67FB dates are down 40% - 80% from 4 years ago. 4 years
    ago I sold a PCGS 1954S MS67FB for $3000. I sold one 6 months ago for $380.

Just my 10c worth
    Onlyroosies
  • georgiacop50georgiacop50 Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks Nick, your input is certainly spot-on, as likely nobody has their finger on top of the Roosie market as much as you do.

I didn't realize the 57-P pop had doubled.

Still, just 1 yr (4/14) ago a pair of them brought $1900 & $2000 at Heritage, so the things must be in free fall to be worth $900 today.
    IMHO the 2 new Proof Dimes that hit the market on 05/04/2015 will have a sudden and quick price jump on all Roosies to the tune of about 10% for the next few months and prices after that will fall possibly even further after the adjustment period is over.

Then again, I could be smelling the grass.

Later, Paul.
    Hey Paul how does the grass smell ?image
    What kind of grass are you talking about?image
    This thread does not have enough Roosie images. So, here's a neat little Roosie Proof I found raw and sent for grade and True View...PCGS PR67.

Nice. Now do a complete set like that...image
    Great Roosie, hard to beat. Congrats. image
    Will there ever be a Roosevelt dime club?
    There is a Roosevelt dime club. It meets annually at FUN. We look at roosies, then feast, drink to excess, and golf all day. Feel free to join us, the honorary President is Onlyroosies.image
    Thanks rainbowroosie, I would join you if I could and drink and have fun but y'all have fun anyway.

Thanks for the information. image
    Ok, anyone want to guess the grade? PCGS had the coin in a MS? holder, cracked the coin and PCGS graded MS?

Note: this coin is a no doubt PL (Proof Like) example which we'll be sending to NGC. Sent back to PCGS for the TrueView image...

What say you?

Cheers, Jim

Jim,

That coin looks MS68. But the fact that you said you cracked it tells me it was probably a 66 or 67. Nobodies
    going to crack a 68 or even a 67+. NGC should grade that at 68 or at worst 67+PL.
    Jim,
    Even blowing up the photos, the only distraction is a small spot on the jaw bone. If I send to NGC, it goes 67 plus. You will get a 68.image

I can see all the die polish, assume that's why you think it is PL.
  • DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why in the world would you send a beautiful Roosie like that to ngc!!??
    That is a very beautiful Dime LabLover.

Is that a RPM I see?

Later, Paul.