Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

Looking for a Mentor

Hello, hello,

I'm looking for a dedicated mentor in the field of numismatics here that I can learn from and ask questions to guide me in my young coin collecting hobby.
A little bit about me.. I'm a middle age married family man (40) who has one son (7) and recently got the bug for coin collecting.
I see it as both a hobby and investment as I'm sure a lot of us do. Well I have bought a wealth of good books, listened to podcasts and youtube videos to educate myself. However, I still need to learn a lot. I unfortunately bought before I understood things and made some financial mistakes. You live and learn I guess. Anyway I feel like I would learn best if I could ask direct one-on-one questions with an expert or mentor on coin collecting. We could do it through the private message system here on the forum. I kind of don't want to embarrass myself with asking too simple of questions on the public forum just yet. I would be willing to pay for this mentorship through paypal. Hopefully, it was okay to post that here on this forum. So if anyone is interested, please respond or message me. I just want to learn along with my son and hopefully grow a great collection and investment to pass on to him.

Thank you.
DMaybee

Comments

• EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Part of my job description is helping collectors achieve their goals without making too many mistakes. Feel free to contact me. Best is through my web site.

Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • rainbowroosierainbowroosie Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭✭
    Just start a string and ask your question. There are many friendly and very knowledgable people here who will help you for free.
    "You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
    rainbowroosie April 1, 2003
  • erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ive learned lots and met very intelligent individuals on this forum that have helped me learn about the hobby and avoid mistakes. I'd second Bill's post, but would suggest it on the US coin forum, as there is much more traffic than the registry forum.

What series do you like? There are some really smart individuals that would be more than willing to help that would be more than willing to step up and help.
  • StoogeStooge Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to the Boards.

Feel free to ask me any questions you like. If I do not know the answer, I am honest enough to say "I do not know" and I will try to steer you in the right direction to get the answers you need.

You might want to start by telling us what you like to collect, or what is catching your eye (Kids eye) and/or what region of the Country you live in.

Later, Paul.
  • Yes thanks to all who posted to help. Still learning the ins and outs and what to collect. I appreciate your advice and will post some more questions as both public and private messages.

DMaybee
  • wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Between myself, Rick, Nick and Paul, I would be stunned if you asked a question here we could not answer (other than perhaps what is the meaning of life)!

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • TiborTibor Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hello dmaybee, The 6 pieces of advise that ACR listed are well thought out.
    There are many forum members here who gladly share there expert knowledge.
    The only way to learn is to ask, so please do so.
  • My advice is to start real, real slow. If you're starting a particular set, get to know the set before you buy anything and, when you're ready to buy, start with only the easiest issues in the set, PCGS and NGC only-- and, even then, get to know which service is better with which sets (for example, in my view, NGC is stronger with Merc dimes, but I wouldn't touch an NGC-graded SLQ). Talk with other collectors with advanced sets and with dealers and learn who the reputable and knowledgeable dealers are. When you feel you're ready to start buying more difficult and expensive issues (or sets), turn to a particular numismatist who you've learned to trust, follow his/her advice and have him/her try to secure the coins and look them over for you before you buy. If you decide to play the auctions, NEVER buy serious money coins without auction representation. You may pay an extra 5% for the coins you do buy but, if your auction representative is legit, he or she will save you tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars in unwise purchases. I've been collecting for almost 50 years and still rely on professional advice with all major purchases.
  • winkywinky Posts: 1,671
    Stooge and Eagle Eye are 2 excellent places to go for advice.
  • kevinjkevinj Posts: 972 ✭✭✭
    Can I suggest you get your son involved also, he is the perfect age to start collecting, and something you can learn and share together. What area of the country do you live? There are many shows, its fun to go and view coins, which is sometimes the best way to learn about them. You will also get to feel what series draws your interest, what you find aesthetic, and also affordable. Sometimes it is best to start with the modern series that are less expensive and relatively inexpensive, so if you make a mistake, such as learning to detect cleaned coins, it is not costly.

Problem with going into any coin shop is that some will cause a negative impact to your coining experience.

Its great when you can find a dealer/shop that is fair/reasonable. One method I use when seeking to buy bullion silver/gold is ask what they would pay if you were selling, and ask what they are selling for. Some dealers buy at 50% off, while others keep their buy/sell very close.

First thing I suggest is to get a good magnifier. For general viewing I like a large foldable lens with a light attachment, I have found them for about $6. For looking at details of the coin, I like the Bausch an Lomb 10x, its a good loupe with a good clear lense, no distortion around the rim. Its also important to have a good lamp for lighting. I like a halogen light, as there is usually little glare.

Graders at grading services normally use a 5x loupe and view each side of a coin for 5 seconds.

Some basics include telling the difference between die polishing and cleaning of the coin.

The images on the die are incused. When the planchet is squeezed between the upper and lower die, the metal of the planchet is squeezed into the incused recesses of the working dies and become raised images on the coin.

If the Engraver polishing the working die to clean it, he might leave some polishing lines on the coin. These lines are incused on the working die, and raised on the subsequent coin.

If a person polishes a coin, they will leave incused lines on the coin.

So if incused lines on a coin, cleaned, devalued sometimes greatly

If raised lines on coin, then die polishing, no devalue of coin.

Usually by tilting the coin in the light, you can see if a line is raised or incused

Or experiment, take a brush, scrub a cheap new penny, look at it, should see incused lines.

If you are interested in getting your kid involved, send me an email, can send you a pdf of part of my book called, Coin Collecting For the Next Generation, which is about getting kids involved

Good luck

Kevin

kevinjflynn88@yahoo.com

Kevin J Flynn
  • AnalystAnalyst Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭

I suggest spending time reading before spending significant sums on coins. Joining a local coin club or attending local coin shows may be beneficial. Beware of people who may not really be qualified to give advice and of qualified people who may not have the best of intentions.

Franco12:My advice is to start real, real slow. If you're starting a particular set, get to know the set before you buy anything and, when you're ready to buy, start with only the easiest issues in the set ...

Yes, proceed slowly.

I have written many articles for beginning and intermediate-level collectors:

Getting Started Collecting U.S. Coins: Basics For Beginners

Why 1933/34 is the true dividing line between classic and modern coinage, Part 2

Classic U.S. coins for less than $250 each, Part 2 – Half Dollars & Silver Dollars

"In order to understand the scarce coins that you own or see, you must learn about coins that you cannot afford." -Me
  • EastonCollectionEastonCollection Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Read Analyst's articles as they are always a good read and well written - Also I suggest for you to acquire Scott Traver's newly released book called " The Coin Collector's Survival Manual" All good reads and very informative. Other questions can be posted here and you'll get good info.
    Easton Collection

ManOfCoins: "From original post to today has been almost a year. I wonder if he got his mentor? "

I wonder, too. Also, it is not clear to me as to why Hydrant happened to resurrect this thread on 11/10/15. I hope that DmayBee posts again.

"In order to understand the scarce coins that you own or see, you must learn about coins that you cannot afford." -Me
  • TomBTomB Posts: 20,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Analyst

ManOfCoins: "From original post to today has been almost a year. I wonder if he got his mentor? "

I wonder, too. Also, it is not clear to me as to why Hydrant happened to resurrect this thread on 11/10/15. I hope that DmayBee posts again.

Some folks necro-post quite a bit.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I did it because I didn't notice the original posting date. I'm a newbie so I made that mistake. I know better now because so many experts have pointed out my ignorance for the whole world to see. What exactly is the cutoff date to respond to a previous post. And why are old posts even available to comment on? It seems like a trick to shame unsuspecting newbies. "Necro-post?"

Hydrant: "I did it because I didn't notice the original posting date. I'm a newbie so I made that mistake.

Tom's remark was probably directed at me, not at Hydrant. In any case, it was not my intention to make Hydrant feel uncomfortable. Welcome to the forum. I am glad that you are participating. I enjoy reading your posts and I hope that you will continue to participate often.

Hydrant: I know better now ... What exactly is the cutoff date to respond to a previous post. And why are old posts even available to comment on?

Hydrant did not break any rules. This thread relates to an important concept. There are many new collectors who end up spending money on coins that are mis-represented. People should seek help and advice. It is a good idea to air such topics openly, as, in private settings, some of the people who offer advice are not very honest or may be incompetent. It was a good idea for Hydrant to resurrect this thread, especially since he suggests that he may be a "newbie" as well, at least in some ways.

In the precious metals forum, while recently starting a thread, I admitted that I am not an expert in world markets for silver bullion and I asked questions that I was hoping other forum members would answer. Nobody can be an expert in all subjects that are discussed on the CU-PCGS boards.

It made sense for Hydrant to resurrect this thread as some of the past posts may be helpful to new collectors in the present. Furthermore, forum members who are interested in the subject matter may have "subscribed to this thread" or bookmarked it. Hydrant's resurrection of this thread was normal, logical and educational. It was not my intention to criticize him. On the contrary, I honestly thought he may have had a reason that had not yet been revealed. For example, he could be a new collector himself or the new collector who started the thread could have been Hydrant's friend. I thought I asked a fair and friendly question. There was no implied criticism.

In 2013, after I wrote an article about 1797 silver dollars, at least two members were hostile towards me because I resurrected an old thread regarding 1797 dollars. Here is the statement that I then put forth in my defense:

The reason in this case is very much obvious. The U.S. silver coins in the Eric Newman Collection were just sold in Nov. 2013. The Newman Collection had one of the all-time best trios of 1797 dollars. Therefore, 1797 dollars were very much 'in the news' when this thread was resurrected. Most of those who participated in this thread probably subscribed to it and have already indicated an interest in 1797 dollars. Also, others who are interested in 1797 dollars may wish to read remarks put forth about 1797 dollars by fellow collectors in the past. It is logical for this thread to have been resurrected.