Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

to The Kennedy Half Dollar Enthusiasts ...

The "S" mint "business strike" enhanced coin from the set can come Prooflike just like a $20 2009 Ultra High Relief coin does at times.

Good chance this becomes the most valuable coin in the set with nice PL surfaces in "70" grade. PCGS will begin to recognize this special coin with PL surfaces which should likely include a separate coin number for the coin moving forward.

Stay tuned!

Wondercoin
Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.

Comments

• cointimecointime Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mitch,
    Thank you for the heads up image I have 11 coins from 3 set at PCGS right now. The one coin I held back was one of these Enhanced S mint, due to a mark on the nose that almost appears as a strike through and a very small mark in the obv field. Actually I believe it could be post mint handling but not sure. With as many coins you have screened, I am sure you came across a few.

Ken
  • wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A buddy of mine just went 0/35 on the enhanced shooting for a PL. Anybody see a line item yet in the PCGS database for this coin? Wondercoin.
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Schmitz7Schmitz7 Posts: 751 ✭✭✭
    Any photos of an actual PL labeled coin to use for comparison? I am curious what the standard is from PCGS in order to qualify for PL designation.
    PL coins now grading at much higher rate that 0/35. Duh.

I am certainly not good enough to capture the PL with my camera. Nor have I seen much in the way of what I would consider true pics of the PL attributes out there in other shots I have seen.

Wondercoin
  • GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As of this morning pops stated

2014 S Enhanced standard MS70 438
    2014 S Enhanced PL MS70 350

PL's are actually quite common. DMPL's are much harder to get. PCGS currently shows 5 graded, but more of these are already shown in the queue in shared orders, so this number is not quite as rare as currently indicated.
    These taken from eBay. First one is regular MS70, second one is MS70 DMPL.

Basically the lighter band across the coin still looks like a normal uncirculated finish on the first picture. The DMPL is very proof-like and no uncirculated finish is seen in the background. A PL would be something in-between.

I hope this helps. Like Mitch says, it is hard to get good pictures, but this is a start. The 2014-S Kennedy Enhanced DMPL population is around 8 coins at this time out of 918 total graded MS70's as of Nov. 26, 2014 so they are scarce and very expensive at this point. Less than 1 out of 100 is being graded DMPL so far.

Also, FYI these are all listed under Modern silver and clad commemoratives in the population report, not under Kennedy halves.

As the only DMPL in the entire modern half dollar commemorative set, they should be a key coin and I think should have a higher rating in the registry set. Currently it seems no additional set credit is given for PL or DMPL 70's and I think that would be an improvement now that they are available.

The 1982 Washington half has a 414 rating in MS69, which in my opinion is over rated, as many other 50 cent commemoratives are much more challenging to find with much lower populations, especially in MS70. I think that the ratings should be reviewed in the half dollar commemorative registry sets and modified when someone has a chance to do so at PCGS.

Happy Thanksgiving.
    Gold miners. The 1982-d GW half has a pop of zero in MS70. It was a pop 1/0, but a few years ago I returned a freshly graded coin to PCGS I bought for under $4,000 off an authorized dealer's website (worth at least $15,000 to the plastic buyers out there) as the coin was truly only an MS68. It regraded MS68 by the way when PCGS got it back. I asked for no compensation from PCGS. Wondercoin.
  • sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Hydrant

Thanks for the heads-up advise. I'm just completing my Kennedy set. Only need a few silver proofs. So your info is very timely. My set is just ms regular stuff. It isn't top registry type material. I like it anyway. Best I could do and so I just have to live with it. Maybe someday I'll have a really good set and then I'll post some pictures. Until then I'll just have to settle for common specimens. Anyway, thanks!

Gotta wonder what clock you're using when a one year old dead thread is "timely".

Edit: ......but so happy it was helpful. Good Luck.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Any pics? image
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • I have a 1971D on a silver planchet. What does everyone think its worth?