Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

A PUBLIC FEEDBACK TO ANGEL DEE'S

I know most of the Lincoln cent collectors and dealers here know Andy Skrabalak and many have had wonderful dealings with him. I would like to add my name to the list of recommended dealers. I purchased my upgraded 1975 proof cent from Andy a couple of years ago at Coinfest. I just acquired my 1999 close AM proof cent variety from Andy via a number of emails back and forth. He worked with me to enable me to get this coin at a fair price. I am certainly not an active buyer these days since I already have just about all the date, mintmark, and major varieties in the series. I find it especially nice that Andy takes the time to communicate with me about the series and especially about the 1909VDB MPL. He has alot of knowledge about the Lincoln cent, the people who collect them and the people who deal in them. Thank you , Andy!
Steveimage

If anyone else has an interesting story about collecting Lincoln cents and your interaction with Andy, I'm sure many would enjoy hearing it (as long as it isn't privelaged).

Comments

• No one is better on Lincoln cents glad there is a positive response to one of the best...
  • illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    imageimage

Two thumbs up from me too.
  • CoppercolorCoppercolor Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭
    Hey Steve,
    My single favorite coin in my collection is a rainbow toned NGC 66RB 1881 Indian Cent that Andy sold to me in the aisle of a coins show in Maryland in the mid or late 90
    s. It was raining buckets and there were leaks everywhere in the show because it was being held in a wet basement, imagine it, dealers and collectors running and scrambling everywhere. I run by Andy and he says "you want this for ###?" as he had some cool coin in his hand that he knew I'd like. Cash to him, coin to me, I go home, 10 years later it's still my favorite coin.

But that man not only has a completely encyclopedic knowledge of lincolns and indians but he never forgets a transaction and never forgets a coin - the bast_rd!!

Also had a situation where I reached for a RB rare date in a holder that turned the first year I owned it and not only did he aggressively buy it back, he remembered that he had bought it back 10 years after he bought it back and brought it up one day randomly in a conversation at a show. Rare stuff that guy.
    Jeff
    I'd like my copper well done please!
  • ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,579 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Andy is a great dealer and has supported Lincoln Cents for many years. He is a credit to the hobby and everything he does is correct.
  • curlycurly Posts: 2,880

The first time I met Andy, I was looking at some MPLs that he had. He had laid out a few for me to look at. One of them was a proof VDB. I mentioned that I would like to meet Laura Sperber so he starts to get up and go get her. I asked him if he wanted to put the MPLs back in his case and he said no, keep looking. He also told me he left the case unlocked for me to dig around in while he was gone.

A few minutes later, he returns with Laura and the three of us had a nice conversation.
    Every man is a self made man.
  • <<Don't count on him to be a buyer of high value Lincolns. >>

• SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,873 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I only have six coins in my collection from Angel Dee's wonderful inventory.

I find them to be pleasant and professional to work with.

edit spl
  • pennyanniepennyannie Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭
    "don't count on him to be a buyer of high value lincolns" Why should he have to buy something he does not want to? Some of these Lincolns have jumped so much over the last few years i would not blame him if he wanted to pass or offer low.

I know you have some awesome high grade Lincolns that at current prices i would be worried what the next 10 years might do to the prices. Sometimes the top pop coins or high grade ones can be tough sales.
    Mark
    NGC registry V-Nickel proof #6!!!!
    working on proof shield nickels # 8 with a bullet!!!!

RIP "BEAR"
  • RBinTexRBinTex Posts: 4,328
    "Don't count on him to be a buyer of high value Lincolns."

Ambro,

Not sticking up for Andy (& I agree with you in general) but the prices you were (still are?) asking for many of your Lincolns were simply too high. Period.
  • CasabrownCasabrown Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭
    While I do not make comments on these boards often, this is a topic that is extremely close to me. Angel Dees and family were instrumental in my return to a hobby I placed on the shelf for decades (thus, one of the many reasons I do not make comments on this forum).

Contrary to a few comments, I have benefited from the value I have received from him over the last seven years during which we have conducted business. During many occasions prior to my faithful meeting with Andy, I incurred a great many of dealers who represented the worse of our hobby. Thus, it was and continues to be a refreshing difference in discussing and purchasing coins from Angel Dees. For many other dealers, I generally feel that it is a chess match or that I must truly adhere during every second of the transaction to the old saying of "buyer beware".

While I will end my comments here, I only wish I could do as much for him as he has done for me in restoring my faith, as a collector, in a great hobby. I thank my fellow forum members for adding this topic.

Casabrown
    Most have been sold (at my price) and many others consigned to Heritage Long Beach. A few I am keeping.

When PCGS price guide lists a coin at 9000, and a private collector offers it for sale at 9000, is that any different from a dealer offering it for sale at 9000?

What is the "value added" feature as it relates to the small disc of round copper inside of a piece of plastic, in the long run......if it comes from a private collector or a dealer?
  • dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Andy and his wife were very supportive, active and instrumental in helping me build a quality Lincoln set a few years ago when I got back in the hobby. They saved me from more than a few pitfalls as well, and put me in touch with other knowledgeable mentors.

Even though I've sold the Lincolns and moved on, both remain my friends, and greet me with enthusiasm and warmth at the shows. This is a class act all the way, and know their Lincolns profoundly. image
  • SteveSteve Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Most have been sold (at my price) and many others consigned to Heritage Long Beach. A few I am keeping.

When PCGS price guide lists a coin at 9000, and a private collector offers it for sale at 9000, is that any different from a dealer offering it for sale at 9000?

What is the "value added" feature as it relates to the small disc of round copper inside of a piece of plastic, in the long run......if it comes from a private collector or a dealer? >>

Ambro,
    When PCGS price guide lists a coin at $9,000, that is the RETAIL price that they have assigned. I would NOT expect to see a major dealer in Lincoln cents pay a retail price for a coin whether it was offered by another dealer or a collector. JMHO.
    Steveimage
    I am referring to a collector to collector sale. No dealer involved.

Is it then proper to always offer a coin to another collector at a 20 percent discount? Or is that a "retail" transaction?

I have retracted my initial statement regarding Angeldees. He emailed me and explained his situation, and the intricate changes that are occuring in the Lincoln Cent collector market. Andy, please accept my heartfelt apologies.
    Just wanted to add that I have had the fortune to make too many deals with Andy yet, but each time I got amazing coins which are still some of my favorites today. I've also traded coins towards new purchases with Andy before and felt the price offered by Andy were extremely fair on each occasion. Can't wait for that next call/email from Andy that he's found my next purchase image
  • DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,974 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Andy and Alynne are fantastic people (as well as her mother). Personally, I think Alynne is the brains behind the operation --- sorry Andy!

They know where to find the coins that will really make up a top notch set, and will work with you to build the best you can build at your pricing level. You don't have to be competing for the top 5 in order to benefit from dealing with them. Contrary to what some have said, Andy has always treated me right when I am interested in selling a coin, or trading it in on something else if I bought it from him.

I owe Andy and Alynne a great deal for their contributions to my set. They have found some really stunning coins for me, and have always given me great advice even when it was on a coin that I was buying from someone else.
    Doug
  • dcgolferdcgolfer Posts: 253 ✭✭
    I have written several times on this forum regarding my dealings with Andy and Alynne, but once again, there are no better folks to deal with in the coin business. My wife and I both count them as very close friends, and I often think about our first meeting via a late night fax. The next time you talk to Andy, ask him about it. Pretty funny story. Anyway, the number one thing you will ALWAYS get from Angel Dee's is honesty, even when it might be concerning something that could cost them a good deal of money.

Thanks Alynne and Andy for all the invaluable help with my Lincolns in the past and future. Can't wait for those crabs! (inside joke!) See ya soon.

Dan Close

• ThePennyLadyThePennyLady Posts: 4,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Boy, I think Andy would be embarrassed if he knew about this "Andy love fest"! Though as a dealer it is sometimes hard to buy from Andy, he has come through a couple of times when I was looking for specific coins for my customers. And after two years of looking and lusting after this particular coin for my personal collection, Andy and I finally came to terms, and now I am happy to say it sits firmly in my toned Indian cent collection and is one of my favorites!

Charmy HarkerThe Penny Lady®
  • dsessomdsessom Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    After reading all the comments in this thread, I feel good about buying an 1884 PCGS AU58 Liberty nickel from Andy sight unseen. I am pretty sure it will be a top notch piece! I will post photos here when it arrives! image
  • robecrobec Posts: 6,577 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've had a few dealings with Andy. He makes you feel like you are his only client and will bend over backward to make you happy. It is also a plus that his material is top notch. This beautiful Buffalo Proof was one of my favorite purchases.

This coin here was my first purchase from Andy and I believe it to be one of the highlights of my collection.

• For those that have wished Andy and Alynne would post pictures of their inventory...and then say they bought sight-unseen and been thoroughly pleased with the coin, it appears you have answered your own question. And is it really sight-unseen when you have a return option?

Andy is always willing to offer a detailed verbal description when talking over the phone. He has been very helpful and a strong advocate for the industry.

Garrow King
  • Andy and Alynne have certainly helped me with my sets. He has been invaluable in teaching me the value of PCGS graded coins and quality coins. I admit I was hard headed and difficult --- I thought he was just being an elitist; I was wrong. I want to publicly thank Andy and Alynne for all they have done to help me with my collecting. I feel They are friends and they have a friend in me.

Au_hobby
  • Andy is fantastic. I purchased one of my matte proofs from him although I cant remember what one it was off hand. I have also purchased several other coins from him as well and he is always fantastic to deal with and a very honest straight shooter IMO. I would reccomend him to any one looking for lincolns.

<< <i>I've had a few dealings with Andy. He makes you feel like you are his only client and will bend over backward to make you happy. It is also a plus that his material is top notch. This beautiful Buffalo Proof was one of my favorite purchases. >>

What??

I thought I was his only client?? You mean there are others??
    Doug
  • CoppercolorCoppercolor Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭
    Don't forget his wife and partner Alynne, she's the cat's pajamas for sure! One of the sweetest people alive.

Jeff
    I'd like my copper well done please!
  • pennyanniepennyannie Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭

<< <i>After reading all the comments in this thread, I feel good about buying an 1884 PCGS AU58 Liberty nickel from Andy sight unseen. I am pretty sure it will be a top notch piece! I will post photos here when it arrives! image >>

I am glad you bought that coin. I have been thinking about that coin daily for 2 weeks. I can move on now.image
    Mark
    NGC registry V-Nickel proof #6!!!!
    working on proof shield nickels # 8 with a bullet!!!!

RIP "BEAR"
  • SteveSteve Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Boy, I think Andy would be embarrassed if he knew about this "Andy love fest"! >>

Charmy, there IS a reason it is a "Andy love fest". Thanks Dsessom for bringing this August, 2009 thread back up. Andy deserves all the praise he gets.

Steve image
  • PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Andy If you are reading this, The Pens last game in the arena is tonight.

GO PENS!

BTW I got your email and talked to Mario and delivered your message to him.image
    Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A model of customer service in the coin collecting hobby period.

WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.

• Having dealt with Andy on a number of occasions, I'd have to say he is one the most honest and honorable dealers that I have

ever dealt with. Service with integrity and a smile, a rare commodity in today's market.
  • dsessomdsessom Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>After reading all the comments in this thread, I feel good about buying an 1884 PCGS AU58 Liberty nickel from Andy sight unseen. I am pretty sure it will be a top notch piece! I will post photos here when it arrives! image >>

Here it is, and I am not disappointed in the least!

• BWRCBWRC Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭

Congrats!

That is quite a coin for an AU58!
    Brian Wagner Rare Coins, Specializing in PCGS graded, Shield, Liberty and Buffalo Nickels varieties.
  • bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ok, I'll continue with the praise. This is a recent purchase from Andy and Alynne. They were gracious enough to allow me to make several payments so that I might acquire
    this great example of the 09SVDB. My dealings with them have always top notch. Thanks!! Shag

imageimage
    would definitley be hard to improve on that nickel unless you were ready to move up to an MS65!!! very nice!

that SVDB isn't too bad either, Shag image
  • TwincamTwincam Posts: 814 ✭✭
    We've only bought one coin from Andy...but it was a smooth transaction on a very nice coin. image
  • All my Best Coins I have ALL Came from Andy !!
    Taylor Made Cent of Red
  • Not only the Lincolns and such, but many of you may not know, my good friend
    Andy has an absolutely screamin' set of Roberto Clemente cards! The #1 Set!
    Check it out and you will see the finest stuff of #21 known to mankind!

Some of the stuff in his set is absolutely MIND BLOWING!

Tony
    KalineFan

I was there when he bought the last card he had been looking for to go into the set. He was just over the top with joy.
    Doug
  • Andy and Alynne are wonderful people, and Angel Dees is one class act. For me, these guys are the best and brightest in our industry, and deserve all the respect this post shows.

One personal story (although I could write ten).

The very first time I was introduced to Andy a few years back he GAVE me a wild PCGS 1961 toner Lincoln because I mentioned that the coin in his case was dated the same as my birth year. The asking price was $300. I don't know many people who practice that sort of generous behavior as a habit, but Andy is one of them. Alynne just sat there and smiled. It was pretty cool.

I owe Andy for some truly monster coins he has found for my collection, and the unbiased advice he has been giving me for years. Thumbs up, guys.

Duane

• Not only is Andy one of the good guys as in trustworthy coin dealer he is also one of the good guys as in entertaining, friendly person. He is always someone I look forward to speaking with when I visit a show he is at.

robec - that is one awesome nickel! Andy does have nice nickels too.

casabrown - thanks for the brief story. I am glad Andy contributed to your continued pursuit of the hobby.
  • deefree49deefree49 Posts: 282 ✭✭✭
    Well I'm a little late to this party! Steve just gave me the "key" to finding these older threads and that is why I'm here. Thanks Steve!

Anyway, anyone mentioning Andy and Alynne is going to get some response from me. I'll just come out and say it; I love them!!!

Andy is a good friend already and I've only been dealing with him for a few months. Long enough though to be able to tell who wrote an email to me, Andy or Alynne!

All the best coins I have came from Andy. He is extremely fair. He tells you the truth. (man, that is the most important thing of all!)

Angel Dee's is MY coin dealer. Andy has great patience with me and tries very hard to help me find coins that I'll like. He seems to know, even better than me, what I will eventually be happiest with. That is a very rare talent! He has actually stopped me from making a mistake on a purchase. One time he helped me choose between two coins he had, even though he would have done better selling me the other one, he made sure I got the right one, the better one. That is the 1C 1916 PR66RB that is clearly my best coin.

Lets face it. There are good, bad and ugly people that you encounter in every pursuit in life. Andy and Alynne are without question, clearly leading the group of good ones.
    Lincoln coin lover, especially Matte Proofs
  • FunwithMPLFunwithMPL Posts: 328 ✭✭✭
    Andy and Alynne are two of the best people I know in the coin hobby. Deefree, I can also tell who writes the e-mails that are sent to me.

Doggiedad
    Collector
  • deefree49deefree49 Posts: 282 ✭✭✭
    Hi Doggiedad,

Yes they are two of the best, for sure. One more thing I thought of is that they inspire enthusiasm for coin collecting - at least for me anyway. Andy has a way of talking about coins that is infectious. When Andy recalls a coin story, it ignites my imagination about it. Very few people can do that and I think it is just natural for him. Just Andy being Andy if that makes any sense.
    Lincoln coin lover, especially Matte Proofs
  • oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Angel Dees does have some top notch coinage!
    oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug...
  • mercurydimeguymercurydimeguy Posts: 4,625 ✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: ThePennyLady

Boy, I think Andy would be embarrassed if he knew about this "Andy love fest"! Though as a dealer it is sometimes hard to buy from Andy, he has come through a couple of times when I was looking for specific coins for my customers. And after two years of looking and lusting after this particular coin for my personal collection, Andy and I finally came to terms, and now I am happy to say it sits firmly in my toned Indian cent collection and is one of my favorites

I'd be an interested buyer of that if you ever decided to part with it image
  • PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Alynne and Andy great people none better.

And yes there is proof that Andy had a head full of hair. Those were the days LOL.

Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• I have known Andy and Alynne for over 10 years now. All of the very best coins in my basic Lincoln set have all came via Andy, Alynne and Angel Dee's. I must admit that I have cooled on my cent collection over the last few years, mostly due to economic reasons, but Andy has always made himself available for coin advise whenever I have reached out to him. I will always appreciate everything that Andy has done for me. When the time presents itself, I am looking forward to many more coin transaction with Andy, Alynne and Angel Dee's.
    Taylor Made .
  • AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,515 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stand up guy for sure!

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • I can't say enough about Andy. He is the best. ALL things said here are spot on. He always makes you feel like you're his only client.

GREAT THREAD!!!!!
    All the best,

Rob

Successful Trades with: Coincast, MICHAELDIXON

Successful Purchases from: Manorcourtman, Meltdown