Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Should PCGS Authorized Dealers Be SPECIFICALLY EXCLUDED From Participating In The PCGS Registry (POL

If only to avoid even the appearance of impropriety regarding their true intentions with respect to their registry sets (i.e. so as to preclude coins from being registered that they may intend to later sell) AND/OR so as collectors will not have to compete against dealers? image

Comments

• Options
    speetyspeety Posts: 5,424
    No they should not be excluded, but with a catch. A dealers inventory should not be eligible for the registry (but the numbers should be allowed to be entered into the 'my inventory' or whatever it's called to hold the place until the coin is sold).

The first thought that came to mind was TDN. Technically he is a dealer (i think partial owner of Legend qualifies him as one?) but his seated and trade dollars should obviously be in the registry. However, Legend should not be able to list, for instance, a type set using their inventory coins.

Bottom line in my humble opinion is that only coins specifically purchased for a collection should be eligible for the registry. It doesn't matter if it is a dealer or a collector, if it's going into their personal collection they should be able to list it.

Mark
    Want to buy an auction catalog for the William Hesslein Sale (December 2, 1926). Thanks to all those who have helped us obtain the others!!!

• Options
    RBinTexRBinTex Posts: 4,328
    Mark,

Do you not see the problem with policing such a policy? Who is to say when it is no longer part of one's "collection" and instead is something one wants to sell? Would you define a "personal collection" as something that never gets sold? What about of disposing of undergrades? What about when the challenge of completing a set has been achieved and one gets bored of it or just wants the money for something else? Where is the line? I see nothing wrong wth having a goal to complete the best set possible with the intention that when it is completed one will dispose of it and move on to something else.
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,685 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would only ask that when a dealer lists a set for the purpose of selling it that he be open to removing it completely from the All-Time list after the completion of the sale. This way, the same set does not show up 2x (selling dealer and then new buyer). Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    Mitch,

That's an excellent idea and a very reasonable and respectful policy (at least - and especially - when whole sets are sold to one buyer).
  • Options
    larrynjlarrynj Posts: 535
    most dealers are just hyper-active collectors, so they should have their registry sets too.
  • Options
    LoveMyLibertyLoveMyLiberty Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Mark,

Do you not see the problem with policing such a policy? Who is to say when it is no longer part of one's "collection" and instead is something one wants to sell? Would you define a "personal collection" as something that never gets sold? What about of disposing of undergrades? What about when the challenge of completing a set has been achieved and one gets bored of it or just wants the money for something else? Where is the line? I see nothing wrong wth having a goal to complete the best set possible with the intention that when it is completed one will dispose of it and move on to something else. >>

The PCGS Registry was developed for collectors to showcase their coins as their collections grew.
    Further, it is a community to discuss ( civilly ) numismatic information and compare one's collected
    items relative to other collections.
    It was NOT intended as a marketing mechanism for dealers wanting to sell their wares. Even so,
    dealers have misused this venue on a number of occasions, over the years, by listing full, or
    partial sets for a short time prior to a sale. Often it is the dealer that shuffles coins in & out of
    a set to reach the highest rank and have the greatest exposure for their pieces for eventual sale.
    Some have gone so far as to advertize other business dealings on the Registry, as a "Total___Solution"
    to the buyer's every need.

Dealers approach coin collecting from a different perspective from that of collectors & have a
    short time horizon for their holdings. Without adequate controls on dealers participating
    in the Registry process, it would soon reach the appearance of a sales promotion on the back
    pages of a magazine.

This poll & discussion should be about all dealers that intend to sell inventory over a short
    period of time, NOT just PCGS authorized dealers.
    Persons who actively buy & sell coins in the open market place, for profit, have a recognized
    business and advertize their inventory,,,and also wish to register their "personal" collection
    on the Registry should be allowed providing:

1. Their entry in the Registry should be asterisked, so everyone knows it is a dealer's set.

2. Each coin in the set should remain listed in the Registry for at least a period of time, say
    6 months, before it can be removed.

3. Upon sale of a listed set, the entire set should be removed from the All - Time list.

4. Once coins in a dealer's set are deleted from the Registry they may not be re-used in
    the Registry by anyone for a period of time, say 6 months.

These are just a few suggestions for providing common ground & an even playing field for
    allowing collectors, as well as, dealer's personal sets to be placed in the Registry.

My Type Set

R.I.P. Bear image
  • Options
    "1. Their entry in the Registry should be asterisked, so everyone knows it is a dealer's set."

Agreed for PCGS authorized dealers but what about all the other "dealers"? Policy to remain moot? Who decides/how are "other" dealers defined?

"2. Each coin in the set should remain listed in the Registry for at least a period of time, say 6 months, before it can be removed."

So once a dealer lists it either it can't be sold OR the new buyer has to buy it knowing it can't be registered until the remainder of the 6 month waiting period has elapsed (subject to #4 below)?

"3. Upon sale of a listed set, the entire set should be removed from the All - Time list."

Presumably this would not apply to non-dealers? What if it remained unless and until the same exact set got re-listed?

"4. Once coins in a dealer's set are deleted from the Registry they may not be re-used in the Registry by anyone for a period of time, say 6 months."

So, going back to #2 above, after the initial 6 months has elapsed the buyer would have to wait an additional 6 months?

• Options
    wayneherndonwayneherndon Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭
    I'm a PCGS authorized dealer. I have a single Registry Set. Those coins are not for sale (despite the inquiries I get (you know who you are)).

Why should my authorized dealer status make a difference?

WH
  • Options
    TACloughTAClough Posts: 1,598

<< <i>Should PCGS Authorized Dealers Be SPECIFICALLY EXCLUDED From Participating In The PCGS Registry (POLL)? >>

No.

Why should they?image

It shouldn't mater at all, if someone owns a coin, it is theirs, and if they want to start a set well then it is up to them period.

What is the problem? image

JMHO,
    Timimage
  • Options
    LoveMyLibertyLoveMyLiberty Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm a PCGS authorized dealer. I have a single Registry Set. Those coins are not for sale (despite the inquiries I get (you know who you are)).

WH >>

Here's a prime example of a dealer participating in the Registry as it was intended. He has
    had a Registry Set for years now, for his personal set, and has not used it to sell items, or
    create business. His input has fostered discussion and provided knowledge to this Forum.

Unfortunately, this has not been the case with others who have listed in the Registry.
    My Type Set

R.I.P. Bear image
  • Options
    NysotoNysoto Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dealers should not be excluded, whether its a personal set or inventory (or a mix). Sets such as Jim McGuigan half cents are a great asset to the Registry. The finest all time (Registry) capped bust half with varieties was only listed four months, heavily promoted, and sold. Even though it was inventory, it is an incredible example of an AU58 set that is well presented Premium Bust Halves, it is a great set to have as reference.

Perhaps a solution would be to set a time requirement of listing for award eligibility, to prevent inventory competing against collectors. It would also eliminate sniping for the top set.
    Robert Scot: Engraving Liberty - biography of US Mint's first chief engraver
  • Options
    DatentypeDatentype Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭
    Hey, PCGS is the "Collector's Club"
  • Options
    DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's all about intention. Wayne you state it clearly when you say the coins in your set are not for sale. Further you have coins in your inventory that you could put in the set to fill it out, but they are not in your collection -- they are inventory. All of us Lincoln collectors know that.
    Doug
  • Options
    What about the 26 people - out of 61 - (at this point in the poll) that do?

Y'all care to elaborate?
  • Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,604 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Difficult to call a Harley Dealer a Motorcycle Collector.....
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,293 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As with anything else in life, most people play by the rules and the spirit, but a small % go and screw things up for everyone.
    They do things against the spirit since it will benefit them (and not everyone as a whole) and so more rules and restrictions have to be thought about.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    One could only speculate on what the results would be (or would have been) if PCGS authorized dealers had recused themselves from voting on an issue where there was clearly a conflict of interest. (31 agree/38 disagree at this point).

So, if one were to assert purely from a hypothetical standpoint that the majority (absent dealer votes) were in favor of PCGS authorized dealers not participating in the registry, what would an appropriate response from PCGS on this issue?

Can ANY dealer that participates assert with absolute certainty that ANY of their sets are comprised of coins that they have NO intention of EVER selling?

Should a COMPLETE absence of an intention to EVER sell a coin currently residing in a registry set be a prerequisite for participating (for anyone) in the registry?

I would assert that it is WELL within the letter AND spirit of the rules as currently composed that one would be well within their rights to start and subsequenlty complete a set with the intention that once it was in fact completed (and thus the challenge/goal had been accomplished) that they would be able to sell said set and move on to the next challenge.
  • Options
    "Can ANY dealer that participates assert with absolute certainty that ANY of their sets are comprised of coins that they have NO intention of EVER selling?"

RB: In can only tell you this - I have around 40 active registry sets and I have sold approximately 1% of the coins in my registry sets over the past roughly 5+ years. Those few coins were often times as a consequence of a very good customer specifically asking for a coin I may have acquired years ago for a set the collector may have started recently and really needed a particular coin for (ex: I once let go an MS68FS Jefferson nickel I owned). I am curoius what % of the collectors out there have held on to 99% of their registry coins over a 5+ year period? Half???

Wondercoin

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    SteveSteve Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭
    When I read Roger's and Mitch's last responses I think two different things. I honestly believe Mitch when he says he has 40 sets in the registries and has maintained 99% of them intact over the past 5+ years.
    When I read Roger's question about whether every dealer can be ABSOLUTELY certain they would not sell coins in their sets, I think why would Roger even think that. What is his motivation for thinking that?

You see, Mitch is telling us he is a dealer who also collects and has many registry sets. And THOSE sets are basically NOT FOR SALE. Does he mean that he would NEVER sell them. I don't think so, and I, as a collector, would not expect him as a dealer to NEVER sell his registry sets. To me, it is clear he has distinguished, IN HIS OWN MIND, between the coins he sells in his inventory and the coins he lists in the set registries.

When I read what Roger is saying about dealers and set registries I get confused as to exactly what points he is trying to make. I "think" he is trying to say that if you are a dealer, by definition you shouldn't have sets in the set registry. But Roger is (or was?) a dealer and he had or has sets in the set registry. What it really comes down to for dealers is that THEY have to individually decide whether coins in their inventory are for sale or are being held for their private collection. Most honorable dealers can do that and most collectors can accept what those dealers do as regards what the dealers put into the set registries. JMHO. Steve

• Options
    Steve: Excellent analysis. And, do understand, that a few of my sets I have held on to for about 5 or more years I do need to make a decision on at some point. For example, take my #1 ranked Texas classic Commem set I acquired from Registrycoin when he sold off all of his "short" classic Commem sets such as his Arkansas, Boone, Texas, Oregon, WC and BTW collections. I bought just the Texas set from RC. But, I have received several inquiries recently to sell the set. I basically need to decide at this point - do I step up and "pay up" for an upgrade or two and keep working on it, or sell it off to someone who does want to use the set as a great "spring board" to pursue a near perfect TX collection or do nothing with it as I have for the past roughly 5 years while greatly enjoying owning it? I am thinking about what to do next with it and in the event I eventually decide to "let it go" as a complete collection, have I acted "unreasonably" (as far as registry set standards are concerned) while owning it these past 5 years? Wondercoin
  • Options
    DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Roger said quiet clearly in the other thread that the MPL set was assembled to be sold. To me that is not even in the gray area.

Intention is fairly easy to discern. I remember this coming up not long ago with the Ann Kate Collection. It was registered just a couple of months before it went on the block. To my knowledge however, this was a collector and not a dealer, and that his dealer convinced him to register the set before the sale to preserve the posterity of the collection. I don't blame him. Maybe it is a sort of promoting, but I can see the other side too and promoting is not the same as selling.

Another example as Jack pointed out is Gerry. If Gerry decided to sell his set tomorrow and finally registered it, I would be fine with it. Everybody knows he has one and what caliber it is. I frankly would love to see how it stacks up coin for coin with Stewart's (although I do know who what what big coins). Gerry also has the finest assembled Memorial Set, and Dan Close would even testify to that.

It's not so hard to know what the right thing to do is.
    Doug
  • Options
    ajiaajia Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭
    Although I voted YES, I think re-reading the title I should have voted NO.

But I will share what I have been thinking of for a while now.....and yes, it is totally selfish.

I tend to think of the registry as a type of competition.

Being a 'normal' (whatever that is) collector & not a coin dealer, I can honestly say I feel like I have NO chance at all competing against dealers in any set they decide to 'compete' in.
    I'm not talking about a set a dealer throws together, but one they have a passion for.

I may be wrong, but in my mind I see dealers as buying coins at a discount (raw or graded), sending in to grading services at discounts (if sent in bulk), and getting tax breaks.
    OK dealers, start flaming......I may be wrong, but that's just what I think.

What I would like to see is some way to identify 'collectors' from 'dealers'.
    It's not that dealers can create sets, maybe I do care if it's just a selling ploy, but rather the feeling I don't know where I stand compared to other 'regular' collectors.

JMHO
  • Options
    Ajai - I'll tell you one thing - with whatever knowledge I had, I bought the wrong classic commem set way back when. I wish I had bought the Oregon set instead with the (still to this day) pop 1 1938-P MS67 Oregon!!

I am honestly not sure a "dealer" has virtually any chance against a true collector with strong means due to his status as a "dealer". Let's face it, isn't this mostly about "net worth" when you boil it down, not collector or dealer status?

Wondercoin

• Options
    TACloughTAClough Posts: 1,598
    I voted no. Plus I have to wonder why this thread and or poll was started. Why does anyone care if a dealer has a set in the Registry or not? Sounds like "sour grapes" somewhere down the line.

Does the OP think that a collector can not compete with a dealer? What is next, “class Registry sets”, I mean Registry set for members with annual income over $1 mill, next class over $ 100 thousand, and last class for members under $50,000. What would happen if Bill Gates decided to collect Jefferson Nickels, does anyone think that a dealer could afford a better set in the Registry if Gates wanted to compete?image
  • Options
    BoomBoom Posts: 10,165
    My thoughts & opinions on the subject.

It would certainly SEEM that PCGS authorized Dealers would have an Inside Edge.

With Bulk submissions in mind, this Inside Edge, real or perceived, WOULD give them better & more opportunity to "make" higher graded pieces.

If they use such an advantage for the sole purpose of creating sets only to use the Registry as spring boards to advertise sets specifically created for resale, NO, they should NOT be allowed to take part.

To build sets such as Mitch's ties up a LOT of dough. Eventually, for any # of variables, they may need to sell just to "get out" before being buried - in which case even if the preceding reason was NOT the intent when said set(s) was/ were being built, they would inevitably be accused of having had this motive in mind from the jump yet may not at all be true.

I voted Agree, they SHOULD be EXCLUDED to avoid certain situations and accusations HOWEVER, they pay for coins & submissionns along with Membership dues just like everyone else. On THESE grounds, perhaps they should be permitted to take part. I'm hopelessly split on this one - feeling BOTH sentiments. image
  • Options
    Doug,

What I said in the other thread was: "the set was quietly assembled with the intention to sell it as a full set upon completion." Meaning that when the challenge of completing it had been accomplished I intended on selling it and moving on to the next challenge. Your inferences to the contrary aside, this is not the point of THIS thread (& I'd appreeciate you not hijacking it off topic). But just to indulge your accussations, if someone created a set with the intention of selling it when it was completed should that automatically preclude them from participating in the registry OR having their set preserved for posterity? Perhaps another poll is in order?

The point is that a reasonable person can easily assume that absent the (conflict of interest) votes of PCGS authorized dealers on this topic the majority of people (36/40 right now) don't think it proper that dealers participate in the registry. What should PCGS do if this IS in fact a representative sample of their registry participants? Can you all speak to THAT point?

• Options
  • Options
    Just fyi, I voted disagree also as I don't think anyone should be precluded (although I can see where collectors would not want to compete with dealers) as long as an explicit rule is not violated. As for the "spirit rules", either PCGS should enumerate them or in the alternative, they should not be attempted to enforce an imagined rule that was not clearly ennunciated.
  • Options
    Hey, I'm a fanatic collector and I'm all in favor of Wayne Herndon comment ...

"I'm a PCGS authorized dealer. I have a single Registry Set. Those coins are not for sale (despite the inquiries I get (you know who you are)). Why should my authorized dealer status make a difference?"

Jeepers, probably the single most successful registry set owner in the world (most #1 or #2 sets), is Mr. Wondercoin who has something like two dozen top or near top sets. Do you really want to exclude his sets or Wayne's? Or do you want to know and have a chance to admire those sets? Laura Sperber and her boss (?) Trade Dollar Nut have compiled some great sets too. I don't want to exclude them.

I welcome the competition. Much more fun that way. And speaking of competition, if I remember correctly, at one point she bragged that she was going to take my sets to the cleaners. So far, she ain't done it even though her company and she have 10 times the money I do and see about a thousand times more coins per year than I do.

Just Having Fun

Jefferson nickels, Standing Libs, and US-Philippines rock
  • Options

<< <i> I don't think anyone should be precluded (although I can see where collectors would not want to compete with dealers) as long as an explicit rule is not violated. As for the "spirit rules", either PCGS should enumerate them or in the alternative, they should not be attempted to enforce an imagined rule that was not clearly ennunciated. >>

Roger, why do you believe that collectors would not want to compete with dealers? Why do you feel it is necessary for PCGS to ennunciate and or enforce an imagined rule? Why do you feel it important to use certain words that may have different meanings to those who read them? If you would say things in simple plain English I think it would help you to better communicate what you mean to say and also help your creditability with the other members of this forum. JMHO. Steveimage
  • Options
    "Roger, why do you believe that collectors would not want to compete with dealers?'

Steve,

What do YOU think the 37 people that voted "agree" (up to this point) think? Are you completely ignoring that fact that in all probability, absent the (clearly conflict of interest) votes of PCGS authorized dealers themselves, that the MAJORITY of respondendents chose "agree"?

My point as to the rules was that any application of a rule that doesn't even EXPLICITLY exist is NOT in the spirit of what this country was founded upon (my Memorial day plug).
  • Options
    It is my opinion that if you simply state a question without defining the parameters you will get the answer you want. The parameters in this case is that the dealer does NOT put his inventory in the registry, only the coins he owns which he does not have available for sale. Steveimage
  • Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I would only ask that when a dealer lists a set for the purpose of selling it that he be open to removing it completely from the All-Time list after the completion of the sale. This way, the same set does not show up 2x (selling dealer and then new buyer). Wondercoin >>

I would go one step further. If a coin is purchased with intent to sell don't list it in the registry. I know many dealers are collectors too but they should only register coins they intend to keep for a while or sets they are putting together for customers.

Maybe it makes sense to have a dealer registry that is separate from the collector registry where anything goes including sales pitches in the description.
  • Options
    SilverstateSilverstate Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭
    I like a "For Sale" Registry idea.

Yet, another way to hunt for the coins that you need.

• Options
    SilverstateSilverstate Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm a PCGS authorized dealer. I have a single Registry Set. Those coins are not for sale (despite the inquiries I get (you know who you are)).

WH >>

Wayne,
    It makes no difference.
    Dealers like to COLLECT coins too!

• Options
    deefree49deefree49 Posts: 282 ✭✭✭
    I think this is a tough one with many ways to argue for and against dealers having Registry sets. The main problem I think, before you can even start with this is to define when a collector crosses over to become a dealer. I mean probably ALL OF US have sold a coin to someone at some point. Isn't that technically being a dealer? On the other side, it is highly likely that ALL the serious dealers also have collections!

Of course there are probably common sense limits to where you draw the line. For example, if a person IDENTIFIES as a dealer, is a member of several dealer associations and has a website, etc., then clearly they are serious dealers of coins. Should that exclude them from being COLLECTORS too? In my own opinion, I think not. Maybe a good compromise is stipulate that coins in your registry have to stay in your possession for a reasonable period of time, say at least 6 weeks. I think 3 months is better but whatever is best could be determined by consensus. To do otherwise, would render moot the rankings of best sets. For example, say 'Dealer A' gets a 1909 VDB proof in 67RD and puts it in his registry set. That single coin could rocket them up several notches in the Matte Proof Registry rankings. If the coin is then sold a week or two later, "boom!", 'Dealer A' goes down in the list again. I think that scenario invites too much chaos.

Another solution is: Have serious dealers (see above for definition) have their own 'Dealer Registry Sets' and have dealers compete against dealers and collectors compete against collectors. Personally I think that is a little too whacky and will end up cluttering the site with another entire list of the different possible sets.

Perhaps dealers should only have registry sets with coins they only collect and generally don't sell. A copper specialist could happily have their own private collection of say, Morgans and having a registry for those wouldn't be a "conflict of interest" and those coins wouldn't actively be for sale. The inventory wouldn't change rapidly and things would stay relatively calm and stable.

These are all just ideas of course. I really don't know what is best for everyone. Nevertheless, a dealer could do it the way Andy does it at Angel Dee's: Help collectors improve their registry sets and not have any of his own. That way Andy doesn't compete and is another way he keeps the customers happy.
    Lincoln coin lover, especially Matte Proofs
  • Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dang.

Reviewing this ressurected eight year old thread and I really miss some of the posters who aren't here anymore. image

Sorry to interrupt. Carry on.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,371 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with Wayne Herndon on this one. I have a few registry sets also.

Very occasionally, I upgrade a coin and the coin that was replaced goes on sale. Maybe 2 or 3 times a year.

If you believe that my selling 2 or 3 coins out of my set each year destroys the entire concept of registry sets,

I humbly suggest you worry about something else.

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,455 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No. Many dealers also collect. Sounds silly to exclude them.
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    TigersFan2TigersFan2 Posts: 1,442 ✭✭
    Who cares? Why should it matter that someone appears to have more coins than you because their registry set is bigger. Collect for the fun. It's not a competition.
    I love the 3 P's: PB&J, PBR and PCGS.
  • Options
    TireKickerTireKicker Posts: 870 ✭✭
    No, I just build my sets...don't have time to worry about everyone else. I will let our hosts sort this out if they see that it becomes an issue.
    All the best,

Rob

Successful Trades with: Coincast, MICHAELDIXON

Successful Purchases from: Manorcourtman, Meltdown
  • Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The bigger question is what ever happened to RB????

WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.