Home Metal Detecting
Options

3 gold, 8 silvers, and some other keepers!

pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭✭
Got out today to the Silver Beach. Wasn’t expecting much, but was hoping for a couple pieces of silver, and really really wished a little gold would show. After last week’s swell performance by the CTX, I decided to bring both machines with me. My buddy wasn’t able to make it, so it was a solo hunt.

The initial plan was to use the CTX for a couple hours, and if it wasn’t producing, switch to the TDI SL. Very shortly into the hunt I had at least two silver dimes, and some wheats. Decided to hang onto the paltry ol’ CTX

Not too much later got a low tone and pulled out a 1948 10k class ring! Now we’re talking. Was super surprised again at how stable this machine was.

With the tide about to turn I moved to the water line and got a low tone. A small ring popped out and it looked gold. After rinsing it, looked good! But the stone was missing!

The very next signal, another low tone. At first the band portion showed, which looked like a pull tab. Thought it was odd because only one pull tab had come out all day, and this was pretty deep. Moved it a bit and saw prongs! Turned out to be a 14k band. One of the stones was left…looks to be a half-eaten pearl. It of course fell out when I was cleaning it. I might just throw the pearl out, it’s toast.

Checked out the small ring at home and see OB 10k. So it should be an Ostby Barton ring. Weight is 0.8 grams.

3 Golds today make it a record day for me. Previous record was at 2. Never had the desire to use the TDI one bit today.

Also got 8 silvers, and some other misc. items that can be seen in the photos. Not too bad! Must be something to this CTX. Wondering now if I should just sell the TDI?

Dirty Pics

A pull tab?

Comments

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ssswwwweeeeeeeet!

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow...nice haul...that beach just keeps on producing.... must be some history to that area... Cheers, Ricko
  • Options
    jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like a great day!

Where, exactly, is this "silver beach" you speak of! image
  • Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,741 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You are out of control with this gold image How many golds for the year now?
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,498 ✭✭✭✭✭
    nice scores image
  • Options
    Originally posted by: pocketpiececommems

You are out of control with this gold image How many golds for the year now?

Thanks PPC!

The hunt's total brings me to 15 gold for the year. The record was set last year at 16, so there's a chance of tying, or even beating it this year.

Silver coins aren't on par with last year, but still great. Hit 102 with Sunday's hunt. Last year at this time the total was 166 and ended at 206.
  • Options
    I wish you the best of luck in setting a new gold record pcgs69...Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    ZotZot Posts: 825 ✭✭✭

Sucking.... offense, number 69... 10 yard penalty...

Dang.
    I'll reply with a bit more thought.. later.

By the way, I've got you on the "golds per day" record: My best is 4 gold rings in a day. image
    It's actually even "4 x 18k and up" in a day. Muahahaha!!! image

Minelab: GPX 5000, Excalibur II, Explorer SE. White's: MXT, PI Pro
  • Options
    Originally posted by: Zot

Sucking.... offense, number 69... 10 yard penalty...

Dang.

I'll reply with a bit more thought.. later.

By the way, I've got you on the "golds per day" record: My best is 4 gold rings in a day. image

It's actually even "4 x 18k and up" in a day. Muahahaha!!! image

Hi, look at me. I'm Zot, and I've found 4 sweet golds in one day...

Now that sounds like a helluva day. How long ago was this? More details!

I will have to look back, but I believe I've only found one piece of jewelry higher than 14k. It was an 18k bracelet that had some heft to it, somewhere around 41 or 42 grams, but everything else has been 10 or 14k.

• Options
    Originally posted by: pcgs69
    Now that sounds like a helluva day. How long ago was this? More details!

2006, water detecting.
    I found a sweet spot and got 9 gold and 8 silver in some 2-3 weeks. That’s a big share of my total gold rings found.

As for the 4-ring day: It was July 19th, 2006.
    Here are the 18k’ers. Weights are (from memory): 13g (yes, that first one is very big), 8g, and 5g.

imageimageimage

And then there was this…
    Exact fineness not known, but the archology folks told me it tended to be very high with these old rings, in the order of 20k.

Big government snagged this one, which is fine by me. I got a nice “diploma” for that

Inscription is E(or S). B (?). K. died 19 July 1725.
    (as a funny coincidence, note the day and month and compare to date when found)

• Options
    metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice haul!
    email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions
  • Options
    Wow... very impressive Zot.... Why did the archaeology dept. take the ring?? Do they see some historical significance to it?? Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    Originally posted by: ricko
    Why did the archaeology dept. take the ring??

Because they are from the government and they are here to help.
    Over here we tend to get more help of that nature than we need..

serious answer: Not sure. They didn't say. Clearly they saw something interesting about it. Maybe one day I'll try researching it myself.