Home Metal Detecting

Finally imaged the ca. 1300-1310 Edward I penny I dug in England

lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭

This ca. 1300-1310 Long Cross silver penny of Edward I "Longshanks" was the first coin I found on my 2013 metal detecting trip to England.

The pictures are just... OK. Considering my utter inexperience, I'm pleased with how they turned out. I finally upgraded to a dSLR camera, and these were the very first photos I took with it (not counting two unusable shots).

The focus, particularly on the reverse, is not optimal, but this was a first attempt.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Comments

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great pictures LordM...you will become a coin photographer 'extraordinaire'....image Cheers, RickO
  • DockwalliperDockwalliper Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭
  • WhiteTornadoWhiteTornado Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭
    Nice find and a nice photo! Here's to many fun years of advanced photography image.
  • jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    cool!
  • pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭✭
    nice picture LordM! Did it come out like that or did you have it straightened?

I'm till waiting for my export license to be approved for my pieces. Getting anxious to see everything again.

Chris (the person who catalogs and IDs everything) thought there's a chance that my ancient Roman coin is silver. So I need to get that and "cook" it. Not holding my breath, but even with a 5% chance it's silver, it's still some hope for now.
  • mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭
    Great images IMHO....thanks for sharing.
    Very exciting to find and hold such an old coin!
    Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: pcgs69

nice picture LordM! Did it come out like that or did you have it straightened?

I'm till waiting for my export license to be approved for my pieces. Getting anxious to see everything again.

Chris (the person who catalogs and IDs everything) thought there's a chance that my ancient Roman coin is silver. So I need to get that and "cook" it. Not holding my breath, but even with a 5% chance it's silver, it's still some hope for now.

It did not need any straightening. Chris "cooked" it for me and did an excellent job, but it didn't need much. The only damage to it is a little tear along one edge, which you can see.

Take Chris' attributions with a small pinch of salt, though of course he does know his stuff. He's expert with much of the medieval stuff like my Edward penny, but was a century off on the Roman Marcus Aurelius sestertius somebody dug during my first hour over there. He said it was first century. I saw the bearded emperor and knew it was Marcus Aurelius or Antoninus Pius and therefore second century. His resident expert set him straight.

I wanted to gloat and say, "ha, I told you so", but that would not have been politic, since I noticed Chris has an ego only slightly less developed than that of a certain Republican political candidate on this side of the pond. image

He also misattributed a little bale seal somebody found. I knew from coins and the eagle crest on it that it was Russian, from the era of Catherine the Great (i.e., 18th century), but he wouldn't listen to me (it was the battle of know-it-alls, haha- and he was the reigning know-it-all-in that territory). I didn't have a comparison coin or photo handy to prove my case, but knew I was right. (For all that was worth, which is to say nothing.) What an 18th century Russian seal was doing in an Essex farm field I'll never know, but you really never know what will turn up on any dig anywhere. And over there, with two and a half millennia or more of metallurgy, well... wow.

I also was the one who attributed the "gunmoney" shilling someone dug.

I can't wait to see your goodies. I of course didn't find any Romans, but there was a moment there I thought I had one for a minute. It turned out to be a thickish, corroded 18th century flat button with the shank gone off the back.

Originally posted by: mariner67

Great images IMHO....thanks for sharing.

Very exciting to find and hold such an old coin!

Indeed it was. Finding and holding any old coin is exciting, but to know you were the first person to touch it in seven centuries (or seventeen, in pcgs69's case), is an incomparable rush.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • ZotZot Posts: 825 ✭✭✭
    That is one sweet coin!
    Minelab: GPX 5000, Excalibur II, Explorer SE. White's: MXT, PI Pro
  • TigersFan2TigersFan2 Posts: 1,442 ✭✭
    Awesome!!!
    I love the 3 P's: PB&J, PBR and PCGS.
  • pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭✭
    I know exactly what you mean about Chris. Seems like he knows all, but it's hard to tell everything for certain from over 2000 years of history.

The Roman coin I found, the day I got it, he goes, "It's not silver."

Now, after cataloging my stuff, he goes something along the lines of, "I think it's silver."

Alright then, that doesn't help, haha. Guess I'll have to "cook" it when I get it back. Hopefully within the next month or so would be nice.

Man, what a cool coin you got there. Great save!
  • mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

Super cool find.
    What do I know, but it looks silver to me.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Be sure to test the coin and let us know if it is silver.... Cheers, RickO

• ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's such a cool find! :)