Home Metal Detecting

9/11/16: 1 gold, 10 silvers, and neat decorative brass box

pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭✭
Got an early start today at the Silver Beach. Tide was starting to go out when I got there, so I started in the dry sand area, where I worked the last couple of times. Surprised some goodies were still waiting in the spot I had hit pretty well. The creamy green colored silvers were found in dry sand. As the tide went out, moved to the middle area - not sandy, but not quite muddy yet. Managed to find a few more silvers there. They're not eaten up either, which is nice! In the dry sand, also got 3 buffalo nickels.

Will count the wheats and get dates later on.

With the tide about to change, moved to the area that yielded the 1922 class ring, etc. Quickly got a ring, that at first I thought was gold, but it ended up being a silver-tone. Still hoping to find a gold, I get a shallow signal 5 minutes later. And was surprised to see gold come out! Nice signet ring. There are stamps, but I can't figure out what they say. Will weigh tomorrow, but I'd guess about 3 grams, maybe slightly more. Funny that they're the initials of my ex gf.

Also sometime in the hunt got a decorative brass box. Any idea what it could have been used for? I'm stumped.

Just when you think it's dead, going slow and digging some iffy signals keeps it alive.

HH all!

Box

Comments

• mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭
    My guess is the brass is either a cigarette or cosmetics box.
    Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow...nice haul....the box is a rouge compact...ladies accessory. Nice gold signet ring.

That beach is being very good to you... Cheers, RickO
  • WhiteTornadoWhiteTornado Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭
    Good finds! I like the picture with the ring and clam shells. Looks like one of the clams coughed it up image. I agree that the brass box looks like it was for cosmetics; neat item.
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,411 ✭✭✭✭✭
    nice finds image
  • pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭✭
    I checked eBay for some cosmetic boxes, and found some similar ones. So mystery solved!

Weighed the gold ring and it weighs 5.3 grams. I was expecting in the 3 something range, so a nice surprise!
  • ZotZot Posts: 825 ✭✭✭
    I'm typing slowly as I need one hand to hold onto my cap - the suction is rather strong... image

That's a remarkable haul of jewelry compared to the number of coins!
    Great silver and gold finds once again!
    Your gold rings aren't plain bands either, but have interesting variety (and age) to them.

Congrats!

Minelab: GPX 5000, Excalibur II, Explorer SE. White's: MXT, PI Pro