Home Metal Detecting

Aug 27, 2016, 7 silver, 4 buffalos, 16 wheats

pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭✭
Got out yesterday to the dry sand of Silver Beach. Tried the small area that I hit last time, and expanded slightly.

Not too bad of results:

5 silver Roosevelts

1 Merc

1 Silver Washington

4 buffalo nickels

16 wheat cents

3 religious pendants

1 half ring from hong kong

11 Jefferson nickels - newest is 1964

Lead toy soldier. Can't figure out if it's a broken gun, or if he's playing an instrument?

1942 UK 3 Pence - a bit of an oddity

No clad dimes or quarters!

HH all!

Comments

• ZotZot Posts: 825 ✭✭✭
    Very nice! But, but... where's the gold? image

The lead toy soldier looks like he's blowing into a seashell horn image

The silver Washington looks like it spent quite some time at least partially on the surface, based on the green color it's acquired.

re. the 3 Pence: Looking it up in Krause, it appears you've found the most common date of this type, with over 103 million pieces minted image
    Minelab: GPX 5000, Excalibur II, Explorer SE. White's: MXT, PI Pro
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,411 ✭✭✭✭✭
    you did good that day image
  • TigersFan2TigersFan2 Posts: 1,442 ✭✭
    I wish people would post the dates/mintmarks of the pre-1964 coins they dig up. It would be nice to know if it's a common date, semi-key or key date.
    I love the 3 P's: PB&J, PBR and PCGS.
  • Bayard1908Bayard1908 Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭✭
    That's a very early pull tab, believe it dates to 1962. I always find silver at sites where I find that type of pull tab.
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep. Early pulltab, all right.

The Brit 3d coin is possibly a GI souvenir from WW2.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice finds....I knew that area would be productive from your first venture. Still think there might be a gold ring or two there...I have some of those 3 pence coins from my time in the UK...Cheers, RickO
  • pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭✭
    It's nice finding those zip tabs. I save the ones in good condition like this.

Dates of saved coins are (dl = dateless):

Wheats:

(all begin with 19 of course) 19, 53d, 37, 46, 56, 40, 5?, 52, 44, 47, 46, 48, 44, 44, 52, 51d

Buffalo Nickels:

29, dl, dl, dl

Merc:

Roosevelts:

48?, 63d, 50, 49, 52

Washington Quarter:

For a second, wasn't sure what it was made out of due to its different color (as Zot noted). But due to how deep it was, figured it had to be silver.

UK 3 Pence

I didn't note the dates of the Jeffersons, but several 1941 dates, from what I recall, some 1950 coins, and I think maybe a '39

Ricko, hope there's a gold ring hiding out there somewhere. Will expand my dry sand search next time. It was nice upon getting home because only had to do a quick hose on the detector and boots. It didn't take an hour to hose everything down fromboots, to headphones to pinpointer... not fun!

• luckybucksluckybucks Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭
    Not bad at all .