Home Metal Detecting
Options

Finally got out. Gold ring, couple silvers, and a buffalo?

pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,262 ✭✭✭✭
Had a chance to post a video from today, and also from finding the heart signet ring a couple weeks ago

Been a couple weeks since I’ve been able to get out. Early low tide, so decided to check it out before it got too hot.

Wanted to focus in the general area that got the heart signet ring last time. Seemed like piece of junk after piece of junk. But a bit early in the hunt got a low tone and was surprised to see the familiar black clump come out, usually indicating silver. Weird. But threw it in my pocket and kept going.

Also got what I thought was a silver band. But upon getting home, saw it’s just brass. Many things here come out with a dark coating, so you have to rub it to find out what it is.

One of the oddball pieces is a big piece that might be lead or pewter. I’d think it’s some kind of raging bison or buffalo? Without any knowledge or fact, it looks 1930s to me. Any idea what it is?

After some more junk and bullets, and a few wheat cents, I decided to try a section I hadn’t tried that much. Had hit it some with the CTX, and once or twice with the TDI, and had some marginal success. I just remember a few very deep pieces of junk that soured me a bit from it. I stayed in the less muddy area and within 30 seconds had a ring! It was a low tone, but looked silver. Thought maybe 10k, but after getting it home, it may have been gold plated at one time, and I’m unsure of the metal- maybe nickel?

Then got another low tone, dug some, and found my one and only silver coin of the day, a 1944 merc. She’s burnt and crispy, but I was worried for a while no silver coins would show. The merc didn’t make sense, so rescanned…. Still a low tone. Turned out to be a buffalo nickel.

Then a few minutes later got another low tone. Saw what looked like gold! Took a video, and sure enough it’s a nice 14k ring. Turns out to have a very small pearl in it. Like too small, maybe eaten up? It fell out while I was cleaning the ring.

Got one final ring. At first I thought it was gold, but something didn’t seem 100% right. Wrapped it up and left a few minutes later.

Got home, and cleaned that black blob, and found what’s left of a sterling Catholic pendant. It’s busted, beat, bruised and charred, but still counts as silver.

Checked out the last ring, and it’s an Uncas ring - 1950s era. I looked on ebay, and couldn’t find a single solid gold ring they’ve made. So it’s a 99.999% chance it’s just plated. Surprising though because the band looks solid. I can see the bottom part of “20” so it’s possible it originally has “1/20” which would mean plated.

Thought there was potential for 3 golds, but at least one turned out to be the real deal. Will have to focus on this area again next time. Got 3 rings, a merc and a buffalo in a short time. Ok, way too wordy, HH all!

Uncas ring, fresh from the mud:

14k ring in the mud. Hard to see. Can you find it?

Heart ring that I thought was gold

Buffalo?

3 pieces of flatware. Middle one has patent date I believe of Jan 4, 1916. The brass spoon was originally coin silver plate.

14k ring

Group shot.

You can see the pearl inside the band

Heart ring

Comments

• Options
    zippcityzippcity Posts: 888 ✭✭✭✭
    Nice assortment as usual, my first thought on the large oddball piece was that it might be some type of ornament from a boat.
    Save our Country. Positive BST: Collectorcoins- Mariner020648- profharoldhill- coppertoning- agentjim007- cucamongacoin- ElKevo- mercurydimeguy- Utahcoin-AJAAN-AUandAG- surfinxhi- ZoidMeister- TwoSides2acoin-
  • Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And when you say mud you mean MUD. Nice finds again
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice finds...and certainly a wide assortment... .the 'buffalo' looks like it may be a hood ornament from an old car.... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    WhiteTornadoWhiteTornado Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭
    That's tough slogging, so I'm glad you got gold for your troubles. I never hunt in the muck, so I can only imagine how tough the going can be.

I'll echo what has already been brought up about the buffalo item, that it's some kind of car or boat ornament.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,512 ✭✭✭✭✭
    you got some very nice finds there.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Check this out.

It isn't a match to your buffalo whatzit, but note the similarities. I think you're right about it being circa 1920s-'30s, and I think it might be an old hood ornament, but I can't confirm that.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep... that is the type of ornament I was mentally picturing LordM... different, but the similarities are there... Cheers, RickO