Home Metal Detecting
Options

Latest batch of finds (6/20 - 6/25)

ZotZot Posts: 825 ✭✭✭
I found a new area that looked like it could have some potential.
Here’s a random picture I took on my way there:

It’s not really a beach this time. It has a rocky bottom (as opposed to sandy), which is a big plus:

Targets don’t sink too quickly in this ground, and some don't sink at all. Case in point:

I did a couple of trips and got a decent number of coins. Unfortunately no gold.

There’s one 35% silver coin in there, so that’s something at least.
I also got a few fishing sinkers, and a knife.
Unfortunately I’m probably done with this place already. There's already been a dramatic drop in productivity, and I don’t think it has much more to give.

Here's the total:

This place is tougher on coins than my favorite beach. Older coppers are hard to identify even by type, and aluminum coins (1970s) just get obliterated. I mean, look at them!

I also did some quick detecting in dry sand on a beach.
Oddball finds from that trip include headphones (which sound decent actually) and a Lincoln Cent (1983D).
I’m pleased to add it to my very slowly growing "set" of Lincolns. I have 8 different dates now, with 1916 being the oldest.
The ring is junk.

Minelab: GPX 5000, Excalibur II, Explorer SE. White's: MXT, PI Pro

Comments

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,518 ✭✭✭✭✭
    god knows how many of the corroded coins i found in my life image
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice haul there... I would like to know the analysis of that water that causes such rapid deterioration of copper and aluminum... looks like a fresh water stream... perhaps I am wrong in assuming that. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,265 ✭✭✭✭
    some of those coins are downright cooked. Surprised the Zincoln held up. They can turn into bubbled, corroded, pieces of blobs as well.
  • Options
    ZotZot Posts: 825 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: ricko
    I would like to know the analysis of that water that causes such rapid deterioration of copper and aluminum... looks like a fresh water stream... perhaps I am wrong in assuming that.

You'd be a bit off. It's brackish water.
    I think a key reason is that many of these coins (esp. the aluminum ones) stayed very near the surface and occasionally got exposed to air (at low water levels). The air+water combo can't be good.

Originally posted by: pcgs69
    Surprised the Zincoln held up

The Zincoln is a very recent drop into dry sand. I'm pretty sure it wasn't there a week ago image
    Minelab: GPX 5000, Excalibur II, Explorer SE. White's: MXT, PI Pro
  • Options
    Ah... brackish.... yep... that would do it. I was thrown off by the trees and pebbles in the stream...thought it was indicative of fresh water... Thanks Zot...Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is that a tree? What are those thingys on it???

We don't have such issues here in the desert. Our trees have thorns and big ones at that!

Bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    Those are fungus.... very common in the northeast U.S. .... They can be made into decorative items as well...Cheers, RickO