Home Metal Detecting
Options

updated UPDATE: For my last official hunt by just me I've decided to try something

AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
I have never done before. I am going to detect around several one room school houses and old churches that have not been used in 75 plus years. I've never done a coin hunt so this ought to be interesting. Will bring a digger (my wife most likely) and a camera.

Will be doing this at the end of July if all works out.

bobimage

PS: any tips?

Heading off....hope to get the permission needed....wish me luck and will let you all know

when I return in a week or so. Sent detector ahead (kept the box it came in for times

just like this one) and it's ready and waiting.
Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com

Comments

• Options
    ZotZot Posts: 825 ✭✭✭
    Sounds like an excellent idea, and with great potential too!

Your sites sound promising! However, you may find that there's a bit more trash than you expect...
    My personal observations are that sites where "people dropped lots of coins 100 years ago, and nobody's been there since" don't really exist. Modern junk always finds a way to get into the ground too.

Depending on how much production you can expect to get from your digger, you may want to be quite selective and go for the really good signals, and then the deep ones of course.
    Keeping her motivated will be key of course, but you're the expert on how to accomplish that! image

PS. Not trying to put any post-surgery ideas in your head, but just a thought: There are some pretty good harnesses and cords that one can rig up to take the weight of the detector almost completely off your arm and transfer it to your back instead.
    These are essential e.g. for gold detectorists when using the largest coils. Maybe the occasional coinshooting trip in easy terrain could still be possible with appropriate arm/shoulder offloading arrangements and a digger?

In any case, good luck on your coin hunt! Looking forward to seeing the pictures! image
    Minelab: GPX 5000, Excalibur II, Explorer SE. White's: MXT, PI Pro
  • Options
    Yes, I can see problems with trash and my digger girl. My detectors are not the type that have displays. I rely on my ears and do not hunt where there is trash....never. If I get a beep it's gold and of course the occasional bullet but no chewing gum wrappers or pop tops. So, yes this will be a completely new experience for me.

I'll post results of course.

Have not seen the harness idea, any links?

bobimage
  • Options
    Harness: the one I'm familiar with is the Minelab Pro-Swing 45.
    here's a link to it on Minelab's site: link

It's a Minelab product, but works with any detector.
    there are also videos of it on youtube, both by Minelab and by various reviewers.
    The Pro-Swing 45 is a fairly new development and definitely makes a difference.

Edited to add: these contraptions are a bit of a hassle when switching between detecting and digging, as the bungee cord between the harness and the detector shaft gets in the way. However, this of course becomes a non-issue if someone else is digging image
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good luck around the old school houses. Remember, the kids then did not have much money... if any.... and likely coins lost would be from adults when an activity was held at the school. That being said, any old coins should be good ones. Best of luck with your search and your upcoming operation. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    Awesome harness.....might not be done!!!

bobimage
  • Options
    pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭✭
    Looking forward to seeing the results of the hunt! Nice recommendation Zot! Hadn't crossed my mind for a harness.
  • Options
    Zot, I see that they have two different models. Can you elaborate on either?

Do you own one?

bobimage

PS: I would sure invite that girl that demo'd one to be my digger!!
  • Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,742 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are these one rooms school sites schools that are still standing or ones that you have located in fields? If you can figure out where the outhouses were detect between them and the school.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: AUandAG
    Zot, I see that they have two different models. Can you elaborate on either?
    Do you own one?

bobimage

PS: I would sure invite that girl that demo'd one to be my digger!!

I believe there's the Pro-Swing 45 (which I linked to), and then there's the standard harness for Minelab GPX detectors. Mine is pictured below
    (A harness is always needed with these detectors, as you carry the battery on your back).

I've had both models. The standard harness is decent, and you can connect a bungy cord from the loops you see on the shoulder straps to the shaft of the detector.
    This certainly helps offload your arm.

However, the Pro-Swing 45 is a more advanced harness that you can adjust to get a really tight fit, and it has a stiff "arm" (I believe they call it the "J-strut") that transfers the weight more effectively. A fair bit of R&D has gone into the ergonomics. I would go for the Pro-Swing. The "arm" makes a difference. The standard harness doesn't have it.

I had a quick look at some customer reviews (on Amazon.com) for the Pro-Swing 45. Quite a few people with shoulder / rotator cuff issues have purchased it and it appears the harness helps them a lot ("detector feels like it's floating in mid air", etc)

PS. Agreed about the girl image
  • Options
    Triple ditto on the young lady...image Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    Yes, the schools are still standing as are several abandoned churches. Will need permission on them all but we will give it the old college try!

bobimage
  • Options
    Just as another input... While I lived in WA state, I did try one of those harnesses... just to see what it was like... and it was really comfortable and made the MD light and easy to move.

Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    ttt for update
  • Options
    Are you heading off now? Looking forward to hearing the results.
  • Options
    Got to the first target today....found the farmer about 1 mile down the road and he informed me that he could not give permission as Corporate in Illinois owns the 6,000 acres it sits on, and he just farms for them. Strike one.

But did try the detector out and it is working, made the trip ok.

Next shot is Saturday, one more old schoolhouse about an hour and twenty away. Enjoying some nice cool weather and off and on sun/rain. Mid 70.s low 80,s. A big change from the 113 it was when I left Vegas!

bobimage
  • Options
    6,000 acres.. that was an ambitious target for a quick little hunt. image
    Too bad about the permission issues. Good luck with the schoolhouse!
  • Options
    Okay, struck out this trip. Massive rain and thunderstorm with hail over 3" and tornado a few miles south.

Need to plan better and perhaps at a different time of year. Weeds are foot tall or more...would be heck digging in those babies and lots of them have thistles/stickers.

Sorry, guys but the cards did not fall right this time.

Now, ten days to my surgery and new shoulder.....so planning for next year.

Back to Vegas!

bobimage

• Options
    Sorry it didn't pan out this time but at least you're safe. Best wishes on your surgery and hopefully the sling can help you detect in the future.
  • Options
    Best of luck on the surgery... keep us posted.... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    Good luck with your surgery! Looking forward to your future postings!!! Rich