Home Metal Detecting
Options

Some recent finds

ZotZot Posts: 825 ✭✭✭
I haven’t had a chance to do much detecting lately, but managed a couple of outings at my old favorite beach. I really need to make it to somewhere else one of these days.
Anyway, here goes:

Attempt 1 (water)

Some of the usual stuff, mainly 1960’s coins, a couple of keys, and a clip (a tie clip perhaps) with a boxer on it.
The big crusty thing at the top turned out to be a key fob. The crusty round object on the right was a piece of lead. What a disappointment!

Attempt 2 (dry sand)

Brand new Euro coins, all looking like they came straight from someone’s pocket. I got one good hole with four coins in it (for 3.30 EUR total, i.e. $3.70), but otherwise mostly 5 cent coins. Hmph.
Picking up 1 and 2 Euro coins can be fun if they come in bunches, but this kind of pitiful production isn’t worth it.

Attempt 3 (water)

Some more interesting items this time. Here’s an overview:

Some highlights:
A lead toy in nice shape

De Havilland Comet-Shell token, and in surprisingly good shape too. I initially saw the edge and thought it was a gold ring.

One of the three rings is an interesting one (the two others are junk). It’s a Winter War era ring given as substitute for gold rings, which were collected from people to help fund the war effort.

They were made from cheap metal and came in two designs. This version has the insignia of the Finnish Air Force. They’re all stamped 1940.
They were cheaply made too. Whatever metal was used for patching up the seam at the back of the ring has rotted away.

Minelab: GPX 5000, Excalibur II, Explorer SE. White's: MXT, PI Pro

Comments

• Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some nice historic finds. And did you find all of this at night again?
  • Options
    Originally posted by: pocketpiececommems
    Some nice historic finds. And did you find all of this at night again?

Ha! I suppose these could be considered "night detecting", but not in the spirit of the term as it's light outside 24 hrs a day this time of year.
    Most of these are (very early) morning finds, around 4 AM, but the sun is up and it's broad daylight at that time.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,503 ✭✭✭✭✭
    nice finds image
  • Options
    pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭✭
    is that a swastika on the ring? Those rings look to have some age to them. How many bobby pins did you find on this trip?

Nice save on the soldier. I found one last trip to the silver beach. They all seem to missing feet, an arm, or even a head. yours looks pretty well in-tact.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: pcgs69
    is that a swastika on the ring? Those rings look to have some age to them. How many bobby pins did you find on this trip?

Nice save on the soldier. I found one last trip to the silver beach. They all seem to missing feet, an arm, or even a head. yours looks pretty well in-tact.

Yes, the "good luck" variety of it, used as symbol for the air force 1918-45. There's a rose in the center of it, and wings on both sides.
    We got rid of it after WW2 as the nazis had made its use unacceptable to most.

Not too many bobby pins, less than 10 total. They tend to be in dry sand only.

I hear you on the soldiers. I have a bunch of them (and indians), and this is only the second one that I would consider intact (I don't think he's holding a rifle, might be binoculars).

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He's got a flame thrower?

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    Originally posted by: AUandAG
    He's got a flame thrower?

Ahh.. but of course! I didn't pay attention to the tanks on his back.

Ughh... my comment that "he's got binoculars" sure looks embarrassing now! imageimage

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Your beach is certainly productive.... of course, part of that productivity is your diligence.

Cheers, RickO