Home Metal Detecting
Options

Silver Beach yesterday: 7 silvers and a few other goodies

pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭
Got back to the Silver Beach after what seems like forever. I started on the slower side that has less junk but more keepers when there is a signal. Got a silver Roosevelt, merc, and a silver Washington. As the tide was going out, I went back to the area I first started and got a nice high tone. To my surprise a silver half dollar popped out. How the heck did I miss that before?? Re-scan the dirt and a second high-tone had come out. Figured it was going to be another silver. But it was a clad dime?? Yup. A bit of a disappointment, but was still happy with the half.

Moved to the more trashy side and was digging all kinds of bits and bobs, but managed a nice musket ball, and in one of the holes was a lens from a pair of glasses. I believe it's actually glass. Also got a nice sterling crown ring. It's marked "ALE" inside, which is apparently the stamp of Pandora. It's a new drop - definitely this year.

Was cleaning everything today and saw what looked like the bottom piece of an anchor in the debris. That's weird. Then saw what looked like a silver "USN" with an anchor top. Put them together and both parts fit. It's an earring, and the USN and the post are silver, but the anchor is brass or copper. That makes 7 silvers for the trip. Would have been nice to have a piece of gold, but will take these.

Surprisingly the 750th silver coin since getting back to detecting in 2009 came out. If I had known I was that close, I would have paid more attention to which coin it was. I'm 75% sure it was the Walking half, so we'll go with that.

Also got a '37 Buffalo, a junk ring, brass buckle, and a couple other goodies. Not sure what the thing is on the bottom right. Almost looks like a drawer pull, but can't tell for sure.

HH all!

Comments

• Options
    zippcityzippcity Posts: 888 ✭✭✭✭
    Nice variety , looks like the half cleaned up pretty good.
    Save our Country. Positive BST: Collectorcoins- Mariner020648- profharoldhill- coppertoning- agentjim007- cucamongacoin- ElKevo- mercurydimeguy- Utahcoin-AJAAN-AUandAG- surfinxhi- ZoidMeister- TwoSides2acoin-
  • Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Another grrrreat haul. I'll bet that you don't tell anyone where this honeyhole is.
  • Options
    Thanks Zippcity! I am using a method that Demodigger told me about. You rub the coin with wet salt. It takes the crud off and leaves it in a reasonable state.

You can see that merc on the bottom right - the real ugly one. That was found on the second side which kills coins. The difference is incredible between the two sides. Not sure which one the USN earring came from.

PPC, what silver beach? I have no idea what you're talking about!! Have you been getting out at all?

I got a new phone so live pics and videos may be sparse for a while. I am keeping my old phone and will probably bring that with for in-situ action going forward. Will be the cool kid with two phones.
  • Options
    Bayard1908Bayard1908 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭✭
    I've used wet salt on copper and had some success. I've never had a silver coin bad enough to try it on though.
  • Options
    Hmmm... I have a bunch of crusty IHCs... maybe I'll give that method a try on them. Can't hurt them any more.

Here comes a DUH moment...the USN "earring" is actually a pin. There a place on the back for the pin part to go into. Thought it would have made a pretty ugly earring anyway.
  • Options
    WhiteTornadoWhiteTornado Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭
    That's a good haul! The Walker cleaned up well, nice detail. That poor Merc looks like it went walking down the wrong alley one night image
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You did very well... that beach sure produces.... what year is the Walker??? And does it have a mint mark? Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    WLH is 1943 Philly, quarter is 1946, 1939 merc, 1954 Roosevelt, and the mangled merc is dateless.

Doing some stats on this beach:

30 Trips there since 2015

Total of 206 silver coins (Found at least one silver coin each visit)

54 pieces of sterling jewelry, etc.

17 pieces of gold

334 wheat cents (at least one per visit)

81 other older coins such as buffalo nickels, V nickels, IHCs, a large cent

There have to be other beaches out there like this. Just have to find them!

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,540 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice outing for sure,,,,,,GPS coordinates would suffice for directions.....okay?

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    ZotZot Posts: 825 ✭✭✭
    Congrats on the nice silver finds once again! That's a very civilized-looking WLH (in contrast to the battery acid-soaked merc) image

Minelab: GPX 5000, Excalibur II, Explorer SE. White's: MXT, PI Pro
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    silver is silver for all its worth. a nice catch for the day image