Home Metal Detecting

Going to try to get out one more time........Aug 10th is new shoulder day!

AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,515 ✭✭✭✭✭
Update: I am going to try to swing it one more time, just for the memories if nothing else!!

Yes, it is true. Have to get two new shoulders (complete replacements) and the consensus is that you do not need to wear the new ones out as they have a limited life expectancy....oh my.

So, just bought a new detector that I'll be saving for the grand kids, I guess.

Not the news I wanted to hear but arthritis is a ******* and just completely destroyed the cartilage in the joints.

I am looking forward to using my arms again even if it is just to play with the grand kids. But, it won't be for nugget searching.

Post a golden find to celebrate!

bobimage

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com

Comments

• Bayard1908Bayard1908 Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭✭
    Tough news if you love metal detecting. It's not worth living in pain for though.
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,411 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Bayard1908
    Tough news if you love metal detecting. It's not worth living in pain for though.

pain comes with the territory. fwiw
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow...very sorry to hear this.....Hope all goes well...Cheers, RickO
  • AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,515 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good thing is that until the surgery I can still type! I think I'll be off the keyboard for about 6 weeks sometime in late summer. But, I'll be watching you guys!

Now, are you all afraid to post your gold finds???? JUST GOLD!

bobimage

Very nice nugget... what does it weigh?? Cheers, RickO
    Originally posted by: ricko

Very nice nugget... what does it weigh?? Cheers, RickO

A little over 50 grams.....

bobimage
  • PRECIOUSMENTALPRECIOUSMENTAL Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭
    Hoping your surgery and recovery goes well.

I'd never heard of the shoulder replacement before.

Do you have a friend who could swing the detector while you provide the technical expertise?

Originally posted by: PRECIOUSMENTAL

Hoping your surgery and recovery goes well.

I'd never heard of the shoulder replacement before.

Do you have a friend who could swing the detector while you provide the technical expertise?

Shoulder replacement surgery is a last resort....Have tried everything but now have bone on bone in the socket. Cartilage is just destroyed by arthritis. Success rate is not like hips and knees. Much more difficult procedure with more limited successes and that's why you put if off to the very last.

I'll have to wait for my 3 and 5 year old grand kids to grow up a bit so that they can swing it and I can watch and guide. At least 5 years down the road I think. Places I detect are not easy to get to or detect in. Steep inclines, loose rock, fast flowing water....

But, I do look forward and the detector is primed and waiting!

Thanks for all the well wishes guys!

bobimage
  • pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭✭
    Best of luck on your surgery. Sorry to hear about the damage from arthritis. I hope you get some success with it and can at least have some normalcy back.

Here's a pic of my best gold find to help with your request! It's now in the safe deposit box so this pic is the best I can do (it's from several years ago). 18k weighing around 43 grams.

• I certainly can understand your predicament. I am 82 years old and had a multiple operation three years ago. On April Fools Day of all days. I had an 8.3 CM aneurism (Almost four inches big) and had to have 1/3 of my left kidney taken out because of cancer. I was on the operating table for over eight hours and as a result, I developed arthritis in my right hip and just can't swig the coil more that a few minutes before it kicks in. That is the reason I wrote the book I mentioned in an earlier post. It is published with quite a bit of detecting finds that I actually found in real life. I have a second book that will be published in about two months. Story of a man rho gets lost in the mountains in Washington state. Good luck and I hope you enjoy your grand kids as much as I enjoy my grandson. Peace be with you.
  • Sorry for the two typing errors. Instead of saying can't swig the coil...I should have written swing the coil and instead of writing Story of a man rho gets, it should read Story of a man who gets lost. Old fingers sometimes don't type too good. Good luck to everyone on making good finds. MDH
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just mount it to your lawn tractor with a swing arm. image
    Wow... 50 gram nugget...that is a good one. MDH....that book about getting lost in the mountains in WA state... which mountains...Cascades or Olympics??
    Originally posted by: TwoSides2aCoin

Just mount it to your lawn tractor with a swing arm. image

I saw a guy with a WWII jeep (or modern version painted green camo) with a metal detector he pulled behind him as he drove through the desert. It was made of PVC pipe and about 4' wide and 6' long or so. Thought it was cool be he never stopped so I never got to talk to him to see if it worked or exactly how it performed.

Maybe I'll look into something like that and just roam the desert (probably land in jail for scarring Jack Rabbits or such).

bobimage
  • ricko,
    The book does not spell out the name of the mountains. It states he is lost in the mountains in eastern Washington State. The book should be published not later than the end of July I hope. MDH
  • MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,650 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear that Bob. The grandkids are more important though!
    Yeah, that is it Brian, roll hunting comes next!!

well, maybe.

bobimage
  • ZotZot Posts: 825 ✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear that.
    Best of luck with the surgery!

Posting pics of my flyspeck gold prospecting finds right after your big nuggets would be too embarrassing, so here's my best gold ring instead:

Inscription is "E.B.K. (?) died 19 July 1725". There's some uncertainty about the letters, but this should be researchable based on the date. Unfortunately, some of the relevant archives haven't been digitized yet (there are gaps for the places and/or years I would need to check). One day I'll figure this out.

Minelab: GPX 5000, Excalibur II, Explorer SE. White's: MXT, PI Pro
    That's as good as any nugget,,,,,,'eh almost.

bobimage
  • BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,977 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good luck Bob.
  • kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's enough metal detecting videos on youtube to keep you entertained for a long time. I even watch them to get my fix.
    "I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
    Originally posted by: kiyote

There's enough metal detecting videos on youtube to keep you entertained for a long time. I even watch them to get my fix.

Good idea, not quite the same but sure entertaining....thanks for the tip!