Home Metal Detecting
Options

After 2009 I promised myself it would never happen again...but it just did

pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,261 ✭✭✭✭
Whelp, kicking myself! In 2009 I was getting clad coins ready to be cashed in and found a War Nickel. Since then I made it a point to ID and date each coin that goes into the clad bin.

It's help save a couple silvers over the years.

Fast forward to today. I was sorting cents, nickels, dimes and quarters into separate piles and found a "cent" that looked odd. Couldn't see the outline of the Lincoln Memorial and set it aside. After finishing broke out the magnifying glass but still couldn't ID it. Rubbed some and saw some odd design, but also reeding on the edge that looked grey. Well that's strange...

Broke some of the crust off and gave it a little wet salt rub and realized it's a 1953 Canadian silver dime (80% silver). DOH. A bit excited, but yet a bit bummed that I almost missed it. It's possible it was actually found last year as I think it was in the coinstar rejects. No doubt it was found at the Silver Beach because it's pretty busted, but still silver.

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep.. a bit 'eaten', but I can see the design... silver is good. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can't throw those Canadians out with the trash!!

Good save!

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've found a few wheats and a Indian or two over the years after I've tumbled them but never any silver.
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just to put the right people at the top.

bob
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    ZotZot Posts: 825 ✭✭✭
    Irrefutable proof that the "I'll look at it later at home"-approach is flawed! You just happened to get lucky this time. imageimage
    Minelab: GPX 5000, Excalibur II, Explorer SE. White's: MXT, PI Pro
  • Options
    DockwalliperDockwalliper Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭
    Does that change the winner of you silver find contest from last year? image
  • Options
    pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,261 ✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Dockwalliper

Does that change the winner of you silver find contest from last year? image

Haha, if there was a way to know when it was found, we might have a new winner! But alas, can't prove anything. Unless you think I should call in the Cold Case unit to try figuring it out?