Home Metal Detecting
Options

Last few hunts: 1894-O Barber dime, small sterling charm, and a fish in a corn field - and it was al

pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭✭
Over the last three hunts, no big quantity of anything, but a couple keepers here and there. As hinted at a couple days ago, I took the PI machine to a local beach. Bobby pins everywhere. I don't know where I actually put the junk, but wanted to get a pic for Zot. Will check for it. Ended there with a small sterling boot charm (0.7 grams), and half of a ring that does test sterling (the solution turns red). It weighs in at a lofty 0.5 grams. Those crusty nickels are Buffalos. One is 1934, the other dateless. Nice pulling those off a local beach. Also got 3 wheat cents.

(you can see STERLING on the bottom toward the loop area)

Friday I hit a corn field. Started off with a 1980s Jefferson nickel and a zincoln. WOOT WOOT for that. Then pieces of can and other scrap metal. There is a river next to this field and the field was recently flooded with winter runoff. I was near the back of the field and heard something moving. Maybe a bird or something, but then heard it coming from the puddle? Was surprised to see an approximate 8 inch long fish in a puddle in a corn field. that was a surprise! Little guy didn't want to come out. But eventually I slid my shovel under him and slowly lifted it and placed him onto dry land for a few seconds to snap a picture. Then quickly moved him to the river. So I felt like I did my good deed for the day.

Can you see the little guy? He's roughly in the middle of the pic

No idea what kind he is

In his new home! Don't worry, it gets deeper about 10 feet out.

Got out today for a couple hours. Very slow going with a lot of iron. Did manage an IHC (haven't checked it yet), and a barber dime. Also got a couple buttons. Upon getting it home could see it was an 1894-O barber, a scarcer coin! I, of course, assumed it was a VF and saw that one sold on eBay for around $200!! But, on closer inspection, found ownership added several points. It looks to have Good details, but unfortunately the obverse is as clean as I can get it without doing much more. Any suggestions on what to do now? Oil soak? So it may not be $200, but it could potentially fetch $20 to $25. That's better than a sharp stick in the eye! HH all.

Fresh out

With dirt removed

Comments

• Options
    WhiteTornadoWhiteTornado Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭
    Nice one with that Barber Dime. And I like the baby booty charm, nice one. On top of that you saved a fish and didn't get a sharp stick in the eye! image
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    coool dime, congrats on the nice find image
  • Options
    Bayard1908Bayard1908 Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭✭
    Looks like a pike or pickerel, ugly little critter.

I'd put some EZest on a cotton swab and roll it onto the obverse of the dime. The coin will be a lifeless dull gray; but, that dark junk should come off, no real downside risk.
  • Options
    zippcityzippcity Posts: 886 ✭✭✭✭
    Perfect ending, silver in your pocket and the fish lives to swim another day. Well done.
    Save our Country. Positive BST: Collectorcoins- Mariner020648- profharoldhill- coppertoning- agentjim007- cucamongacoin- ElKevo- mercurydimeguy- Utahcoin-AJAAN-AUandAG- surfinxhi- ZoidMeister- TwoSides2acoin-
  • Options
    mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭
    I always enjoy your posts and finds pcgs69....thanks for sharing!
    Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great hunt.... save a fish...and find silver. Might try an acetone soak.... that should remove all the organics anyway. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    ebaybuyerebaybuyer Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭
    when I seen the fish it reminded me of the movie jurrassic park where alan was handling a cute little baby raptor. they look so cute and innocent when they are babies. one day that northern pike will be big enough to literally take off your hand
    regardless of how many posts I have, I don't consider myself an "expert" at anything
  • Options
    pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭✭
    glad to confirm it's a northern pike. I checked online and it seemed the closest fit. Could easily get rid of trout, etc, but I've never caught a northern pike until that day. He sure wanted to stay in that puddle, and fortunately he didn't try to go for a finger. Be curious to see what it'd look like in a year or two from now.
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just to put the right people at the top.

bob
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    luckybucksluckybucks Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭
    Cool finds.

• Options
    ZotZot Posts: 825 ✭✭✭
    That's quite the unusual "find"!
    Pikes are tough, I'm sure it's doing well in its new home.

Pike is by far my most common fish caught. I believe I caught my first one when I was 4 or 5.
    They're a somewhat acquired taste and a bit fiddly to eat compared to most other fish.
    I guess I've been force fed pike by my parents from such a young age that I've grown to like them. image

I strongly advise against eating pike under any of the following conditions (or you'll have a bone stuck in your throat in record time!)
    i) In a hurry
    ii) In the dark
    iii) While drunk

Edit: Hey, just noticed the line about bobby pins! That's brilliant! image
    Minelab: GPX 5000, Excalibur II, Explorer SE. White's: MXT, PI Pro