Home Metal Detecting
Options

Found a ROLEX today!!

pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭✭
Ok ok, I didn't. Had to give the ol' April Fools thing a try! So April Fools!!

However, I really did get out for a few hours yesterday and today. Yesterday yielded a few keepers, including a junk ring, junk bangle bracelet, three mercs and a silver Washington quarter. I haven't taken any pics of that yet. Even though no Rolex came up, I did find a watch. I don't think it's anything special, but I'll track it down tomorrow and take a pic. One of the mercs is super thin and actually has a hole in it.

Was a little bummed after yesterday (yeah, I know, feeling bummed from only 4 silvers). But there was so much junk it's really tiring digging deep for a piece of junk. And for some reason it seems like people back in the day liked tossing their brass lipstick tubes all over the beach.

Got out today and within 20 minutes got what looked like a tarnished gold ring. Put it away and kept going. Then it was wheat cent after wheat cent. Seemed forever until the first silver coin came. But ended with 6 mercs and a 1916 Barber dime. One merc is super crusty. Got three buffalo nickels too. One hole started with a low tone, but what also came out of the hole was a merc, and a snap button, in addition to a Buffalo nickel. Three for the price of one.

Later in the hunt, got another goldish ring. Turns out to be a Josten's 10k 1948 class ring. Unfortunately the badge at the top has fallen off, and there aren't even any initials. Weight is 2.7 grams.

Back in the car I checked out the other ring, and there's a 10k mark inside the band. I was rubbing the dirt out of the band, and unfortunately the band broke. Must've been sized at some point and the salt water weakened it. 1.4 grams.

Not a single Lincoln memorial today. All cents were wheats. 3 jefferson nickels and one clad Roosevelt.

HH all!

Still needs some cleaning. It has what looks like an amethyst stone in it.

Crusty Merc

Half eaten Lincoln

Photobucket doesn’t want to rotate images today, so not sure what you’ll see.

Comments

• Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great finds. No April fools on the gold. I think that I found the Zincolns that you didn't find. Over a 100 the last two days. But that's a $ I didn't have image Is that medal a pole vault medal.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    its nice to see some buffalo's in the mix.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice big haul there..... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    ZotZot Posts: 825 ✭✭✭
    A Rolex? Pfft.. you're on such a roll that a Rolex might not even earn you a vaccuum these days image
    For April fools shock effect you need to go bigger, a'la Blackbeard's treasure chest!

You had to dig an occasional deep hole with a junk target in it? How shocking!

Great finds once again! You're pulling shocking gold and silver numbers!

Originally posted by: pcgs69
    Back in the car I checked out the other ring

Aha! What happened to "no big deal, I'll look at it later at home"? You're human after all! image
    Minelab: GPX 5000, Excalibur II, Explorer SE. White's: MXT, PI Pro
  • Options
    Hey now, Zot, it's my thread and I'll cry if I want to! I think I've had too many cheeseburgers this winter, and digging those deep holes really tires this guy out. Have to make every one count! I was actually cursing at you a little bit on those two days due to the amount of junk that was coming up. Thought you had jinxed me (at least until a little into day 2)! But then all was right with the world when a little yeller showed that wasn't brass.

haha, and yes, sometimes my curiosity gets the best of me and I have to check in the car.

Ok, just wait then. Will no longer prank with a mere Rolex. It's time to go major leagues with the next April Fool's!

Finally got pics of Day 1 ready to go.

Not sure if this one will rotate. It was taken correctly, but changed when uploaded. So turn your head sideways! It may rotate eventually.

• Options
    Lord Minivan called. He wants his Merc back. image
    Wow, that's probably the roughest one I've ever seen here.

Looks like a nice haul to me! Lots of variety. The pendant appears to be this one:

imageimage
  • Options
    Wow, thanks Zot! So I'm thinking of a new strategy when I can't identify something, or have something that needs more inspection. Rather than waiting to check it out in the car, or even at home, I'm just going to take a pic, and send it to you. And BTW, don't be jealous of my holey merc!
  • Options
    Originally posted by: pcgs69
    I'm just going to take a pic, and send it to you

I have a better idea: Just send everything to me by post, sight unseen.
    I'll then identify rings as "junk" and send subst.. ahem, them back to you imageimage

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey....wait a minute....if people are sending dug treasures for evaluation... let me submit my name as a GOLD EXPERT.....I will gladly evaluate all gold jewelry and coins for free....then send back with a certificate of authenticity.... I will keep the junk for disposal imageimage Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    pcgs69 reporting on his monthly submission to "ricko's MD grading service":
    17 junk rings, 1 silver Roosie. Looks like silver beach has dried up image

• Options
    luckybucksluckybucks Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭
    Nice finds, but wow, some of those silver coins look like the dirt was saturated in battery acid.

I've never seen silver corrode like that.
  • Options
    On further evaluation of all the rings I thought were gold, instead of being marked 10k, they actually say, "plated." Guess my eyes were worse than I thought. image

But there are some holey mercs that need to have the dates determined.

And don't you guys worry, I kept all the junk from the last two hunts. PM your addresses and I'll split the packages up!
  • Options
    WhiteTornadoWhiteTornado Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭
    Funny you mention the brass lipstick tubes. I found one recently at an old, urban park. At first I thought it was a shell casing, but closer inspection at home revealed otherwise.
  • Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No Rolex,noooooooooooooooooooooooo I was pretty excited.......doh!
    Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.