Home Metal Detecting
Options

March 27, 2016 - 1 Gold and 5 silvers!

pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭
I haven't been around much over the past 11 days. That will be a whole new post for tomorrow. Hint: I was metal detecting in another country.

For today, the short post because I'm falling asleep as I type this. On the way back home I hit the silver beach. First signal was a 1916 Barber dime. Was slow for a bit then got a merc. Moved to a different spot on the beach. Was digging trash and moved slightly and got a ring that I thought was gold. It's probably plated but it looks different from the standard brass rings.

Got 2 buffalo nickels, and two silver washingtons. One of the washingtons was masked by the car as they both came out of the same hole.

Got a nice small signet ring (1.7) grams. 99% certain it's gold, but there's no marking. Any idea what the design means? Or is it a simple like Love is Jesus kind of thing? What do you guys think it could have for age? I'd guess it was dropped anywhere from the 1940s to 1960s, but may have been worn for a while prior. Got 10 wheat cents and 4 other rings. HH all.

Comments

• Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice finds pcgs69. I figured you were sandbagginhg us trying to figure out what you were going to hit next.image
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That was quite a haul....and that ring does look like gold... it appears to be an old Confirmation Ring..... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    WhiteTornadoWhiteTornado Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭
    Nice finds, which has become your standard image. Great job. Not sure on the ring, so I'll say ricko knows more than me about it.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    nice haul. love the gold
  • Options
    Ring is Roman Catholic...Sacred Heart of Jesus.....crown of thorns, with heart and flames of love at top. I'd guess by the look of it probably from teens or twenties.
    "A happy person is not a person in a certain set of circumstances, but rather a person with a certain set of attitudes"--Hugh Downs
  • Options
    Bayard1908Bayard1908 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭✭
    I've never dug a live round of ammunition. Looks you got a .38 Smith and Wesson plus maybe a .32 Automatic.
  • Options
    pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭
    just checked it out online, and that does look like what it is! Makes sense as there has been a lot of Catholic jewelry found at this place. Thanks windwhispers!
  • Options
    mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭
    Another nice haul....thanks, as always, for sharing.
    Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • Options
    ZotZot Posts: 825 ✭✭✭
    Plenty of great stuff once again!

Live ammo too I see. Always a slightly nervous moment!

Just to get a rough idea: How many targets would you say you dug to get all this stuff?

-Z
    Minelab: GPX 5000, Excalibur II, Explorer SE. White's: MXT, PI Pro
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like you hit on a catholic school or playground. Nice gold.