Home Metal Detecting
Options

Second round of digs

ZotZot Posts: 825 ✭✭✭

I managed to get some digging done during the week. Unfortunately the weather has now turned cold again, and I’m frozen out for the time being.

I dug about 90 targets and got 24 coins, which is an excellent coins:trash ratio for me with a PI machine. I estimate that my average is about 1:10.
Unfortunately the coins are nothing special. Oldest coin is 1913.

The big washer on the left got me excited initially, as it was found as a solid disc with the hole clogged up and lots of crust on it. Hmph.

Where are the old coins and gold hiding?! image

When one digs enough targets, at least something unusual (if not great) tends to pop up.
These three coins were all found in practically the same hole:

Sudan, 2*50 Piastres and 1*10 Piastres
Ho hum! These are modern coins, but it’s a new country for me. I doubt I’ll ever find a Sudanese coin again.

-Z

Minelab: GPX 5000, Excalibur II, Explorer SE. White's: MXT, PI Pro

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice batch of coins Zot... and a Sudanese coins is surely a new category...The gold is out there,

we just have to keep looking ...and the PI will find it.. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭✭
    holy trash! But the good thing about clearing the trash out is it's not there next time and hopefully frees up some good targets. Of course there's a bobby pin or two in that pic as well. How well do your coins hold up? We have some "zincolns" that turn into big round blobs after a short time.
  • Options
    ZotZot Posts: 825 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: pcgs69
    How well do your coins hold up? We have some "zincolns" that turn into big round blobs after a short time.

Reasonably well. Most are copper.
    I've dug a few Zincolns, and particularly remember one that looked like mice had been gnawing at it from all sides. I haven't checked if it's turned even worse since then.

The worst condition coins I find are mostly modern 1, 2, and 5 euro cent coins. Those are copper-covered steel, and they tend to "explode" already while in the ground. Especially on a beach their life expectancy seems to be months rather than years.
    Minelab: GPX 5000, Excalibur II, Explorer SE. White's: MXT, PI Pro
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Beaches are certain death to modern coins... very quickly too... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    luckybucksluckybucks Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭
    Nice dig you had there. Keep 'em coming.