Home Metal Detecting

where to go metal detecting

Hello everyone,

Me and my brother love metal detecting, we have a Bounty Hunter VLF 2.1

Although we don't have a pinpointer, we still seem to manage. We live in

Cincinnati. We have a Hamilton County Parks metal detecting permit.

I wanted to know if you guys know where to metal detect. Whenever we go

to the park, we find nothing but maybe some old 50's pull-tabs. In our back

and front yard we have found 7 coins, the earliest of them all was a 1961

penny. We are sick and tired of going somewhere, and finding NOTHING

so if any of you live in Cincinnati, maybe you could tell me where to detect.

Thank You so much!

Andy
Hi, My name is Andrew. I'm 12 years old and I love collecting old coins and bills, (mostly US money) I used to be a Coin Talk member, but now I have joined this forum.

I have been collecting for about 1 year now, (As of 1/24/2016)

Comments

• Bayard1908Bayard1908 Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭✭
    I suggest that you hunt your own school. You have inside information where the students congregate and are likely to drop coins.

Once you dig up about $200 of treasure, I suggest you use the money to buy a Garrett Ace 250. This will allow you to find deeper coins than your current machine can detect.
  • I'm home schooled. Me and my brother have paper routes, and this summer we could both get a Garrett Ace 150 or 250!
    Hi, My name is Andrew. I'm 12 years old and I love collecting old coins and bills, (mostly US money) I used to be a Coin Talk member, but now I have joined this forum.

I have been collecting for about 1 year now, (As of 1/24/2016)
  • pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭✭
    If you have a paper route you must pass some nice houses along the way with nice yards. You can always knock on a few of those doors. Disclaimer: I don't know how safe your neighborhood is so maybe have an adult with you.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome aboard....the 250 is a good recommendation...used by many people.

When you start finding good stuff you will really get hooked. As to places to search...first, I am not from Cincinnati, so can only speak generally. Schools are good...play grounds in kiddie parks,

and perhaps you can get permission from some neighbors to check their yards. Be sure you can make your holes invisible after digging (and you may have to demonstrate that). Also, Ohio has a long history, and if you can get transportation, farm fields (in areas you research for historical activity) can be quite productive.

Best of luck to you and your brother... Cheers, RickO
  • TigersFan2TigersFan2 Posts: 1,442 ✭✭
    Good question...

If you just want to find something and you don't mind being limited to modern circulated environmentally-toned coins and corroded zinc pennies, go to any playground (school or park) and detect in the sand around the playground equipment.

I envy you in Cincinnati as you have 250 years of history of people with coins living there. I'm in Arizona with rock hard soil without the high amounts of rain and snow to help bury things.
    I love the 3 P's: PB&J, PBR and PCGS.
  • PRECIOUSMENTALPRECIOUSMENTAL Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭
    First, practice on making your plug undetectable when finished, don't want to lose permission from a property owner.

Secondly, logic.

If I'm at a friends home, I start near where they park their cars, is easy to lose change and small items while getting your keys out of pocket, etc.

Also, same applies to entrance doors and along the sidewalk.

That would be applicable to a park, or similar as well.

Have Fun, Spring is almost here! (cold in N.E, Ohio lately.
  • pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,741 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You are not the only ones that will be detecting at parks. Patience is the word. People will continue to lose stuff there. If there is a hill side by a sports field I would be checking that for sure. If you are close to a high school go by after a light snow and see where students walk in the snow to get to the doors from their cars or buses. Check around the bleacher areas. Sometimes you have to think out side the box.