Home Metal Detecting
Options

Contest Time!!! **CONTEST OVER******

pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,265 ✭✭✭✭
Starting to get anxious to get out again, but it could be weeks until I get out again. Just checked my total silver count since 2009 and it sounds like a good time to have a contest. Right now the silver coin count is at 695. Let's have a contest to see who can guess what silver #700 will be since 2009.

The contest will end when (or IF) #700 comes. One guess per person, but you can change after you guess as long as you don't duplicate another member's answer. I guess you can duplicate, but only the person who guessed it first will be the winner.

The grand prize: Gallery mint 1796 1/2 cent COPY graded MS65RD by ICG!! There is some splotchiness (is that a word) to the toning on the obverse, but overall a cool "coin".

In your entry, please state:

1) Date

2) Mintmark if applicable

3) Denomination

4) Design if applicable (such as which 1916 dime, etc.)

Now, say one person guesses a 1914 barber dime and someone else guesses a 1918 merc. If a 1916 merc is found, simply using the number of years off wouldn't suffice because two people were off by 2 years. The winner will be the one who guessed the most aspects correct, so the 1918 merc would be the winning guess. Man, a lot of fine print for a small, fun, giveaway eh? Just want to avoid any arguments!

Odds are it will be from the silver beach or similar beach, so my bet would be a newer silver. But like detecting goes, it could be anything.

Alright, here's the actual guesses as of 1/27/16

Nickels

GaCoinGuy 1942-P war nickel

Bayard1908 1943-P war nickel

Dimes

lordmarcovan 1906 Barber dime

Dockwalliper 1939-P Merc

Pocketpiececommems 1943-P Merc

ChrisH821 1957-P Roosevelt

johnny9434 1959 d roosie dime

dorkbar 1960-P Roosevelt dime

Andy1234 1963 S dime

KollectorKing 1964-p roosie dime

Quarters

ricko 1962-P Washington quarter

zippcity 1964-d Washington quarter

Comments

• Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭✭✭
    WOW 695 silvers since 2009. That's just pretty good. My guess is a 1943-P Mercury dime for #700 I haven't been out since Dec 23. I'm guessing that whenever I get out again my legs and back will know that I've been out. Have to get in MD shape all over again image
  • Options
    zippcityzippcity Posts: 888 ✭✭✭✭
    My guess on #700 will be a 1964-d Washington quarter. happy digging.
    Save our Country. Positive BST: Collectorcoins- Mariner020648- profharoldhill- coppertoning- agentjim007- cucamongacoin- ElKevo- mercurydimeguy- Utahcoin-AJAAN-AUandAG- surfinxhi- ZoidMeister- TwoSides2acoin-
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My guess will be a 1962 Washington quarter - Philadelphia mint....Thanks for the chance...

Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    dorkbardorkbar Posts: 425 ✭✭✭
    That's a lot of coin, pcgs69! Number 700 will be a not-too-shiny 1960 Roosevelt dime from Philadelphia.

Ground here under snow and hard like rock with temp. below zero. Only finds are above ground and not necessarily metallic (such as the $20 in the ice rink parking lot a couple of weeks ago--hee hee).
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,515 ✭✭✭✭✭
    a 1959 d roosie dime
  • Options
    KollectorKingKollectorKing Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1964-p roosie dime

PS - do war time nickels, 65-70 jfk halves count as silver coins
  • Options
    Bayard1908Bayard1908 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭✭
    1943-P war nickel. If I happen to be the winner, you're welcome to include some dug nickels in the package, and I'll chemically clean them for you.
  • Options
    DockwalliperDockwalliper Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭
    My guess is a 1939 Merc from Philly.

Happy Hunting.
  • Options
    GaCoinGuyGaCoinGuy Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm leaning towards a 1942-P war nickel....darkly toned....
    imageimage

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,338 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A solid AU 1893-S Morgan... wait, no, let's go with a 1957-P Roosevelt.

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    1933 quarter
    Hi, My name is Andrew. I'm 12 years old and I love collecting old coins and bills, (mostly US money) I used to be a Coin Talk member, but now I have joined this forum.

I have been collecting for about 1 year now, (As of 1/24/2016)
  • Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,338 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Finding a 1933 quarter would be very unusual considering they weren't minted that year. image

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    Hey Andy, ChrisH821 is right. Although you'd be a winner if the coin found was a 1932 or 1934 quarter, there aren't any 1933 quarters outside of a Dan Carr specialty. You want to re-guess, or leave as-is??
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,215 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #700... Hmm... I'll guess a 1906 Barber dime, just for the heck of it.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Hi my name is Kristen and I am originally from Baltimore Maryland but I now live in Western Pennsylvania but I have been a old/new coin collector and I collect mainly United States old coins but now my Grandfather when he was alive he gave me some European coins that he got/saved from being in World War II, then my Dad gave me some old coins from when he lived in Panama in the early 1960s when his Dad was in the United States Army. But my best coin find was a 1943 Mercury Dime and I found it by one of the Green money machines where you put your change it I can't remember what the Green machine is called and I was so excited to find the old 1943 Mercury Dime but also sad at the same time thinking someone just threw away their coin collection when they could of taken it to a coin store and got some money from it more then the Green machine.
    Kristen Marie Kiblin
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome aboard homer0816....do you metal detect? Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    Hi homer! It's not every day that you find silver at the Coin Star machines. Congrats on the 1943 merc.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: pcgs69

Hey Andy, ChrisH821 is right. Although you'd be a winner if the coin found was a 1932 or 1934 quarter, there aren't any 1933 quarters outside of a Dan Carr specialty. You want to re-guess, or leave as-is??

Oh, Thanks! image hmm,

1963 S dime

Hi, My name is Andrew. I'm 12 years old and I love collecting old coins and bills, (mostly US money) I used to be a Coin Talk member, but now I have joined this forum.

• Options
    I really hope I can win this, because I don't have like ANY money to buy coins, And I can't find any good ones (1960 and older) coins in circulation. I love collecting coins and this would be my favorite coin I will ever have!

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,215 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Hydrant

1792 half disme. It'll be in all the papers. You'll be famous. And wealthy. You're one lucky guy.

One HAS been dug before.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: pcgs69
    Starting to get anxious to get out again, but it could be weeks until I get out again. Just checked my total silver count since 2009 and it sounds like a good time to have a contest. Right now the silver coin count is at 695. Let's have a contest to see who can guess what silver #700 will be since 2009.

The contest will end when (or IF) #700 comes. One guess per person, but you can change after you guess as long as you don't duplicate another member's answer. I guess you can duplicate, but only the person who guessed it first will be the winner.

The grand prize: Gallery mint 1796 1/2 cent COPY graded MS65RD by ICG!! There is some splotchiness (is that a word) to the toning on the obverse, but overall a cool "coin".

In your entry, please state:
    1) Date
    2) Mintmark if applicable
    3) Denomination
    4) Design if applicable (such as which 1916 dime, etc.)

Now, say one person guesses a 1914 barber dime and someone else guesses a 1918 merc. If a 1916 merc is found, simply using the number of years off wouldn't suffice because two people were off by 2 years. The winner will be the one who guessed the most aspects correct, so the 1918 merc would be the winning guess. Man, a lot of fine print for a small, fun, giveaway eh? Just want to avoid any arguments!

Odds are it will be from the silver beach or similar beach, so my bet would be a newer silver. But like detecting goes, it could be anything.

Alright, here's the actual guesses as of 1/27/16
    Nickels
    GaCoinGuy 1942-P war nickel
    Bayard1908 1943-P war nickel

Dimes
    lordmarcovan 1906 Barber dime
    Dockwalliper 1939-P Merc
    Pocketpiececommems 1943-P Merc
    ChrisH821 1957-P Roosevelt
    johnny9434 1959 d roosie dime
    dorkbar 1960-P Roosevelt dime
    Andy1234 1963 S dime