Home Metal Detecting
Options

I never shared this, but these initials made me do a doubletake

pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭
Inside the ring with the red stone is an inscription. Saw a J, then an F, and finally, could that be a K?? After looking it over, it looks to be more of an H or an R, but man it gets the adrenaline going since it was so close. Do you guys also see an H or an R?

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like a 'K' to me..... what is the 'from' name? Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    Bayard1908Bayard1908 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭✭
    Doesn't strike me as a man's ring regardless.
  • Options
    It is a man's ring.... likely a birthstone ring. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    Ricko, it appears to be from "AMB" or "ANB" but unfortunately it's quite worn.

• Options
    Thanks.... does not bring any immediate name to mind...thought it might associate

with the Kennedy clan.... will think about it. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,540 ✭✭✭✭✭
    To J oF K? Is that it?

No idea.

bob
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i have no idea
  • Options
    Originally posted by: ricko

Thanks.... does not bring any immediate name to mind...thought it might associate

with the Kennedy clan.... will think about it. Cheers, RickO

Was hoping it was somehow related to JFK. But proving it was his, along with determining the "from" person, would be a tough task. Now if it said "from Norma Jeane..." then we might have something!
  • Options
    TextNorma Jean
    Funny.... (I replied to your PM)....

Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,240 ✭✭✭
    I see J.F.H. Looks like the top line of the F is worn off similar to the top of the top left curly thing of the H.
    @ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options
    GrumpyEdGrumpyEd Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭
    Is that a date at the end of it?

Ed
  • Options
    Unfortunately there's no date inscribed on the band. The only other mark is what I believe is the karat marker. The pic below was taken before I polished the tarnish off.

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,216 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sure does look like "JFK" to me, though "JFR" is also possible, I suppose, if the top of the R got worn off.

Congratulations. Now all you need to do is make up some backstory about digging it up in Marilyn Monroe's front yard or something, and you're all set to make a mint! image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    On second glance... I think you've got a hit. That's JFK all right! Seriously. (The initials, I mean.)

Such coincidences remind me of this Bust half I picked up not too long ago.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I also see JFK.
  • Options
    ZotZot Posts: 825 ✭✭✭
    Last letter looks like H to me. The loop on the top right part of "H" (best seen in the 2nd pic) makes me think it isn't a K.
    Minelab: GPX 5000, Excalibur II, Explorer SE. White's: MXT, PI Pro
  • Options
    I think that's part of the reason I can't pinpoint an exact letter. If it was an H, wouldn't the serif on the left side reasonably match the serif on the right side? If it was a K, the letter should be more slanted. Maybe an R with the top worn off.
  • Options
    I don't think it's conclusive.
    Just by googling images for the potential letters it appears there are various options for how the serifs could be drawn, so without more text with clear examples of various letters it's hard to say.

H was just my first impression, but I wouldn't bet money on it image
  • Options
    I guess we can eliminate what it for sure isn't. I'll start... can be sure it's not a Z!

Maybe this will turn into that Blue Dress versus White Dress debate from a few months ago. Which by the way, it was definitely a white-ish color. Not blue!
  • Options
    Originally posted by: pcgs69
    Unfortunately there's no date inscribed on the band.

I feel a bit silly speculating from just the pictures, but are you sure?

I can see getting AMB (or ANB) like this:

..but then the circled part looks odd. That would be one heck of a serif to the A.

Could it be a short name (Axx or Axxx) followed by a date (11.4(?).23(?)) ?

It looks to be like the last bit is written in a different style than the letters/names before it.
    Maybe I'm just seeing ghosts..

• Options
    Now that's interesting. It is odd that the A has a crazy serif, but the second two are bland. Maybe I should throw some Nic A Date on it and see what happens.

Found this ring on eBay:

At first it looks like MK, but it could be MR. Wonder if these script inscriptions made it difficult for everyone not associated with the affected persons. Or maybe if the jeweler messed up he could just say he added a few serifs and it was all good.
  • Options
    Wonder if Nic-A-Date would even work on gold? image