Home Metal Detecting
Options

Just noticed I passed another mile stone.

On July 23rd this past summer I dug my 40,000th coin since I started keeping records in 2002.

Looking at the few coins I found that day it was surely nothing special.

Total now sits at 41,651

Comments

• Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You would need a little truck to hall all of that off at one time????
  • Options
    mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭
    WOW!
    Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    WOW...that is over 13,000 coins per year.... SUPER!!! Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    DockwalliperDockwalliper Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: ricko

WOW...that is over 13,000 coins per year.... SUPER!!! Cheers, RickO

Not quite. Its just under 3000 coins per year. My best year was 2006 when I was on strike from work with 5055.

• Options
    pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭✭
    congrats on 40,000 coins! That's a lot of holes, and no doubt there's plenty of trash in between as well. Do you cash them in each year?
  • Options
    Bayard1908Bayard1908 Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭✭
    I cannot imagine keeping records of every coin dug. Think of all the extra coins you could dig with that additional time, lol.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: pcgs69

congrats on 40,000 coins! That's a lot of holes, and no doubt there's plenty of trash in between as well. Do you cash them in each year?

Pretty much but I never seem to get thru all the pennies. I have a couple 2 gallon buckets to tumble.

• Options
    Originally posted by: Bayard1908

I cannot imagine keeping records of every coin dug. Think of all the extra coins you could dig with that additional time, lol.

I don't record them as I'm digging. I do it each night after dark. No detecting time lost.

• Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm with Dock on the recording. Save the counting and sorting until I get home. Save all of the aluminum, copper, brass & lead to sell as scrap. You would be surprised how that adds up over time. Tumble all of the change and save it for circ commems.
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,112 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just noticed I passed another mile

Sure beats passing a kidney stone.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    Wow... I sure screwed up the math on that one...thanks for the correction Dock...

Still ... a lot of coins...Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow. Kudos for keeping records on all that.

I've kept my cumulative silver coin count going since 1992, and the totals for each obsolete coin type, but long ago lost track of the number of face-value common coins I've dug (and Wheat cents too, for that matter.)

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Nice figures Doc! Interesting to know others do keep records. I post the date, hr/mins, park name, findings and totals each outing. So far, from 5/7/07 thru 2/9/15 I've accumulated:

4132 Quarters
    7154 Dimes
    2830 Nickels
    17,210 Pennies

30,328 TOTAL

And, I don't have any knee problems, yet!
  • Options
    Great totals Rocketman.... that is a pile of quarters... Cheers, RickO