Home Metal Detecting
Options

Dec 4-5, 2015: Two gold signet rings! And the newest one is dated 1927

pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭✭
Got out Friday and yesterday for what is probably the last detecting session for the year. Thought about hitting a friend’s house today, but it was in the low 30s and didn’t have much motivation for that.

Got back to the Silver Beach on Friday with the White’s TDI SL. Brought my buddy along who has never detected. He was given my CTX 3030, which doesn’t exactly have the easiest learning curve. He is also a texting machine on his phone. So after a half hour he was done and went back to the car to keep texting.

I kept going though, and found some goodies. The silver coins have seemed to have dried up. Only got one merc that is so busted another couple years would have probably depleted it entirely.

The sweet parts were a nice small 10k signet ring. It’s actually the 3rd I found from this same company. It’s characterized with an anchor followed by a K. From the first time I found one, someone noted this about it: Ripley-Howland Mfg Co. on 10K Gold Rings, Manufacturing Jewelers, Boston, MA, and New York, NY, USA, circa 1887 to 1912. Weight 1.6 grams.

A little while later I got another low tone signal and a nice gold-tone ring came out. Quickly inspected it and it looked pretty good.

Upon getting it home, could see it’s an older signet ring. Marked OB 14k. OB stands for Ostby & Barton company. It was formed by Englehart Ostby and Nathan Barton in 1879. Ostby was on the Titanic when it sank, and unfortunately lost his life. This ring also has an inscription Evelyn to Frank and is dated 1927! Weight is 8.1 grams.

Got out yesterday and once again silver coins were scarce. Got one 1957 Roosevelt. Ended with a sterling band, sterling leaf earring (the partner to one I found a couple months ago). Got a small sterling band with missing stone. Got a lot of junk jewelry. Got one ring that wasn’t sure what metal it was as it looked silver-ish, but didn’t ring as it. Checked the inside of the band and saw “silver” first, then saw NICKEL. BOOO. Still my first nickel silver ring (it doesn’t actually contain any silver).

Got a few buffalo nickels this weekend, and even a dateless V nickel.

Overall a great weekend, and a good way to end the season. Will have to get into better shape to keep up with a PI machine. There were some deep bottle caps, which took a lot of energy.

HH all!

P.S. if you get some error message and it doesn't tell you what's causing it, check any hyphens. That makes it not go through.

Can you see the ring?

Part of an old harmonica

ANY IDEA WHAT THIS THING IS? It’s some kind of clip.

Comments

• Options
    A couple members on Treasurenet think it may be a tie clip?
  • Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If that is your last day this year, and if the ground isn't frozen you be back, then you had one super finish. image Is that a live ammo shell?
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow.. what a haul.... your friend must have spent a long time texting...image That looks like

a .22 cartridge, intact. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: pcgs69
    A couple members on Treasurenet think it may be a tie clip?

I agree....the back is typical for tie clips I had in the late 50s and in the 60s.
    Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • Options
    Originally posted by: ricko

Wow.. what a haul.... your friend must have spent a long time texting...image That looks like

a .22 cartridge, intact. Cheers, RickO

He had plenty of time to text! He actually found a junk ring and some other misc items. People don't realize it's 95% bottle caps and junk and 5% good stuff. It was certainly a reality check for him. He also didn't have a pinpointer.

I also kept him in the dry sand while I went to the better areas. Not because I was greedy but because it was messy.

Not sure if it's a .22, or a higher caliber. It seems a bit big for a .22, but my bullet knowledge is a 1 on a scale of 1 to 10. PPC, is it nearly complete, I hid the other side where it's eaten away at a small section (it's all about presentation, haha).

Ok, the griffin thing, we'll call it a tie clip worn by a super "square" who wears a suit to the beach!

Forgot pics of the merc!

• Options
    Wow..that Merc is really eaten up... very corrosive beach there... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i like the gold rings ya got there. nice scores and yeah to what ricko said.
  • Options
    Awesome stuff!!! Love the gold rings.

bob
    Bob
  • Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great day out!

congrats

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    ZotZot Posts: 825 ✭✭✭

Wow! You're killing me with those sweet gold rings! Those are really special ones.

I could go on and on about all the other interesting items too. Clearly this is a very special spot!

That Merc is in rough shape indeed. Takes some nasty conditions for a 90% silver coin to go that crusty in a century or less!

By the way, that P & F Corbin key in your first pic probably has a serial number on the back. How do I know that? Because I've found one just like it, back in 2006 and thousands of miles away. Here's mine:

Minelab: GPX 5000, Excalibur II, Explorer SE. White's: MXT, PI Pro
  • Options
    dtkk49adtkk49a Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭
    Are keys collectible?
    Follow me - Cards_and_Coins on Instagram

They call me "Pack the Ripper"
  • Options
    Are keys collectible?

Yes...keys are collectible...but mainly older keys.... such as folders, complex skeleton

keys, large gate or jail keys...Cheers, RickO