Home Metal Detecting
Options

Fun circulation find this morning

lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,215 ✭✭✭✭✭
Because I paid for my car's oil change with cash instead of using my debit card as I normally would have, I got change back.

So of course I had to examine the handful of coins. image

One of the pennies had that certain brown color you'd expect to see on a Wheat cent- you know what I mean.

But without my specs on, I can't read the dates on coins, so I was going to turn it over and see if the wheat ears were there.

But the coin was stuck to a shiny new Shield cent somehow.

Prying it and the new coin apart, I saw a greasy substance like Vaseline was holding them together.

Alas, the brown cent was a Memorial. It turned out to not even be a copper Memorial- just a stinkin' Zincoln- a 1993.

After 1.5 seconds of disappointment and a brief "eww" over the greasy stuff, my eye strayed to one of the nickels.

Ta-dahh!!! image

First Buffalo I've captured "from the wild" in a few years!

Yes, it's a common date, but a pretty dang nice one for a circ find, wouldn't you say?

And all because I used cash instead of plastic.

I was already having a pretty nice morning, but that made my smile even bigger. image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Comments

• Options
    Bayard1908Bayard1908 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭✭
    I've never received a Buffalo nickel in change, thought they left circulation in the 1950s. I rarely use cash; but, my girlfriend got a very clean steel cent in change earlier this month.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use cash often.... because I like to get change, there is often a wheatie there. I have

not had a Buff in change in quite a while...months at least. If I remember correctly,

it was a '37 in VG....I have it in my Buff drawer. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭
    that's not too bad of a find!

I don't recall ever getting a buffalo nickel in change. Did find a few silvers in the past year and a half at one place I worked.

A few years I got a series 1920something $20 bill. Well worn, but I was excited when I checked ebay for completed auctions. Found a similar one that sold for something like $22 with free shipping. Doing the math that's 10% ebay fees, probably 50 cents paypal, then another 50 cents to ship. So the seller netted something like $19 for a $20 bill! It went back into circulation.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would think ebay sellers will soon start charging ebay fees to the buyers... Auction houses

do it... why not ebay sellers?? Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    cool
  • Options
    milbrocomilbroco Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭
    Nice. I just wrested a buffalo about a month ago. No date though...............

Robert
    ebay seller name milbroco
    email bcmiller7@comcast.net