In case you haven't read it already ...

THREAD LINK
ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

Comments

• Options
    pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭✭
    wow, that's really cool to see that. wonder if the person buried them to rid of the evidence
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was thinking perhaps the individual who buried them, was caught with a lessor

amount and received his punishment. Likely no bail at that time, so could not retrieve

his hidden treasure. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: ricko

I was thinking perhaps the individual who buried them, was caught with a lessor

amount and received his punishment. Likely no bail at that time, so could not retrieve

his hidden treasure. Cheers, RickO

This was my thought, too. Whoever did that was not subtle- usually medieval silver coins got "clipped" or "shaved" in slighter, more gradual (and therefore less detectable) ways. For so much of the lettering to be visible on the shavings, somebody was being rather greedy!

He or she might've gotten caught, and woe was them when the nasty penalty came down.

"No bail"? Huh. In those days, no survival, more like. The Crown's men didn't play when it came to counterfeiters and money clippers back then! The owner of this hoard likely swung from the hanging tree and that's why it never got recovered. image

But that certainly makes the mystery all the more intriguing.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree LordM.... likely hung within a week or two. They had real justice back then.

Cheers, RickO