Home Metal Detecting
Options

Nov 15, 2015: 200th Silver Coin!

pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭✭
Wasn't sure where to get out today, but when the day started, the silver coin count was at 199. Decided to hit a field that's yielded about 10 silvers already this year. Wasn't sure how it would pan out, but it was my best chance.

Within 10 minutes, it showed up - a 1918 merc. It has some nice detail too. Ended with 3 additional mercs - 1941, 1935, and the last one 1920. Almost FB on the 1920 too! On the obverse, looks like a die crack near the "wing". Any idea if this is common? Also going to post it on the U.S. Coin forum for kicks.

Also got:

1876 Canada Large Cent

2 mangled Indian Head Cents

1 mangled Buffalo Nickel

16 mangled Wheat cents

Neat Montreal pennant pin

marble

ID bracelet for what may be for "BRODE"?

Also hit 3000 total coins for the year.

Comments

• Options
    Bayard1908Bayard1908 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭✭
    Those are the nicest Mercury dimes that I can recall you digging. Which machine did you use to find these?
  • Options
    ZotZot Posts: 825 ✭✭✭
    Very nice haul! Looks like you have a site that's worthy of yet additional visits..!

The ground appears to be hard on the coppers, but the Mercs are in outstanding shape, all four of them. The die crack looks great! That's a substantial one too. The rim on the reverse looks slightly unusual as well. That coin didn't have an easy beginning image

As you're finding so many Mercs, you must have a nice dug set of them by now. How many dates are you missing?

The Montreal pin is really neat.

That's a big earring you have there! I assume it contains no silver or (gasp) gold? image

Can you get any dates off the wheat cents, or the IHCs for that matter? Looks like it could be a challenge.. but surely they'll have to be checked out if at all possible image

Congrats on 200 silver coins! That's a staggering number. With a 1:15 ratio of silver coins vs. all coins, I'd say you're definitely hunting the right places.

3,000 total coins is also very impressive. I think my personal best is somewhere around 1,200, and that year involved a fair bit of beach detecting. I don't have any sites that would consistently yield old coins and also a high total number of coins. When I go to such spots, I'm lucky if I get 3 coins in a day..
    Minelab: GPX 5000, Excalibur II, Explorer SE. White's: MXT, PI Pro
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very impressive silver and total coin count. I saw the die crack dime earlier on the

coin forum. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,215 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Love 'dem early Mercs! image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    DockwalliperDockwalliper Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭
    Nice. I passed the 2000 coin mark for the year but don't have near your quality of finds.
  • Options
    WhiteTornadoWhiteTornado Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭
    You've had a banner year, way to go!