Home Metal Detecting

...that elusive beach gold... (part II)

ZotZot Posts: 825 ✭✭✭

I thought I'd give this "gold pursuit thing" one more try, and headed out again today...

First some of the usual stuff (and plenty of trash of course)...

But then......!

I was finding so many of those damned hair pins that don't stay in my scoop that I wasn't using it. Instead, I took handfuls of sand/stuff once the target was out of the hole, and waved it above my coil.

I instantly knew what I had when I got the target, by the weight of it...

It's quite big and heavy too.

18k white gold, 8.4 grams

Alright, now I finally got my gold fix!

Enough of this beach nonsense.... old silver coins are on the list next!! image

-Z
Minelab: GPX 5000, Excalibur II, Explorer SE. White's: MXT, PI Pro

Comments

• gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    18K great score.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wowzer.... 18K.... great find Zot... Congratulations... Cheers, RickO
  • pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭✭
    wow, that's some big gold! Now Zot, you can't be showing me up with monster gold rings like that!

Looks like you were doing some night hunting?

you definitely earned it with all that stuff you dug.
  • ZotZot Posts: 825 ✭✭✭
    Show you up? Yeah, right! image

It's among my heavier rings in terms of gold content though (AGW 0.203 oz), and it's actually the first white gold ring I've ever dug (I have one that's 50/50 yellow and white gold). For a moment I was hoping it might have been platinum.

Can't really call this "night" hunting as it was around 6 pm, but it's near total darkness outside nevertheless. Cloudy (and rainy I might add), so no moonlight. I happened to have my phone with me, and snapped a picture by pointing it in roughly the right direction. All I knew at the time is that I had gold (or better).

This was with the White's surf PI pro, which I'm trying to squeeze every last bit of performance out of. The ring actually wasn't that deep, maybe 8 inches, and was easily heard. It was just one of those targets that happens to be left behind. I must have passed right by it several times, grunting and groaning while racking up an impressive haul of rusty nails and other rubbish...

Taking the GPX here would be nice, but also tricky as nothing on it is waterproof - not even the coil. I'd have to MacGyver some sort of waterproof contraption to put around it. Probably doable, but would take a lot of work. It's a complex shape with the coil, control box, cables going in all directions, and the battery that you carry in a harness on your back.

There are still targets that my "baby PI" can pick up here, so I'll stick with that plan for a while.. I actually think a more realistic option is to modify the circuitry of this machine to boost power, and go with a bigger, external battery (the eight tiny AA batteries it currently uses wouldn't stand a chance if we're talking about sending some serious pulses image )
  • AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,515 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep, nice find there!image

To heck with gold go for the silver,,,,,,,,nah

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,411 ✭✭✭✭✭
    awesome score image
  • ZotZot Posts: 825 ✭✭✭
    I see a few reactions to the 18K.

Actually not unusual over here. Modern rings are usually 14K, but older ones are nearly always 18K. I've found mostly rings from 1890s-1950s. 18K makes a surprisingly big difference to the actual gold weight in a ring, due to the combined effect of higher purity and a ring of a given size being heavier as well.

I have dug 16 gold rings, 6x14K and 10x18K+

Their "gold stats" are as follows:

14K: Average total weight per ring: 3.62g --> AGW 2.11g per ring

18K: Average total weight per ring: 6.15g --> AGW 4.61g per ring

For those keeping score, this results in a total actual gold weight of 58.76 grams, or 1.89 oz t in these rings.
  • pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭✭
    Now that's interesting. Thanks for sharing Zot!

Seems like 18k is pretty scarce here in the U.S. About 20 years ago, seemed like a lot of 14k was coming out, now it seems like a lot of 10k. Even the older stuff seems to be a lot of 10k with some 14k mixed in.

My dad found a baby's 18k ring, and I have an 18k bracelet and 18k cufflinks, but I've never actually found an 18k ring.

So now that the 16th gold has come out, does that mean you have to have a new image created since your old one only has 15?

• ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Zot
    I see a few reactions to the 18K.

Actually not unusual over here. Modern rings are usually 14K, but older ones are nearly always 18K. I've found mostly rings from 1890s-1950s. 18K makes a surprisingly big difference to the actual gold weight in a ring, due to the combined effect of higher purity and a ring of a given size being heavier as well.

I have dug 16 gold rings, 6x14K and 10x18K+

Their "gold stats" are as follows:

14K: Average total weight per ring: 3.62g --> AGW 2.11g per ring

18K: Average total weight per ring: 6.15g --> AGW 4.61g per ring

For those keeping score, this results in a total actual gold weight of 58.76 grams, or 1.89 oz t in these rings.

• lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Zot

Enough of this beach nonsense.... old silver coins are on the list next!! image

-Z

Bring 'em on! I'm ready to see 'em! image

imageimageimage

Oh- congrats on the gold! image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭
    neat find
    Frank

BHNC #203