Home Metal Detecting
Options

Early coppers from 19th century farm

PERHAPS MOST IMPORTANTLY... why are my line breaks not showing up with I post??

Sort of a continuation of the thread found here: https://forums.collectors.com/...d=954122&enterthread=y

My dad and I detected around a cellar hole in SE PA that research shows was inhabited from the 1840s until the house burned down in the 1930s. Pretty remote, and likely not hunted before. I didn't find much of interest, but my dad did really well, including finding our oldest US large cent, and then topping that find by another 120 years! This was our first time detecting a really old cellar hole and while we didn't find quantity, we came away with some really interesting finds. Photos below. Thanks for looking!

-Corey

English William III halfpenny, ca. 1695-1701
Thanks to those in the above thread for identification help.

1817 Matron Head large cent
Nice detail, retains most of its patina, not bad for a dug copper

1929 Mercury dime
Found right on the surface below thick grass mat. Very strong date.

US General Service buttons
Pretty bad shape, but we've never found one that held up very well in our soils. Can anyone date these?

Unidentified artifact
Any ideas what this may be? It's really beautiful. Colorful inlays that may be glass. Perhaps the empty holes once held gems? Measures 1-7/16" square.

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Really interesting finds.... old cellar holes can hold interesting treasure. Two things,

if the walls are intact, be sure to MD them as well... two, if the property perimeter is

discernible, be sure to MD the corners or near any old trees, rock walls or other notable

features such as a large rock. These are where they would bury valuables. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    ZotZot Posts: 825 ✭✭✭
    Great finds, congrats! A few old finds beats a bunch of new ones any day!

Based on the back of your "unidentified artifact", I think it's one half of a belt buckle. The other half would be identical, except it would have a "loop" on the back where the "hook" goes into.

Like this
    Minelab: GPX 5000, Excalibur II, Explorer SE. White's: MXT, PI Pro
  • Options
    cor3y7cor3y7 Posts: 28 ✭✭
    Ahh, perhaps. Looks like that's what it may be. Thanks!
  • Options
    pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭✭
    now that's an old copper! Even the super worn ones seem to have that bit of hair remaining, or whatever those two pieces sticking out are. Is there any detail on the reverse?
  • Options
    Nope, totally flat.
  • Options
    pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭✭
    What did it ring up for you as?
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think that site is worth revisiting.... let us know if you do - and check some of the areas

I suggested. Good luck, Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,681 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Awesome finds! image