Home Metal Detecting
Options

Results are in on the TDI SL: Two Days - 17 silvers, 14 buffalo nickels, and a gold ring!

pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭✭
Had the inaugural run of the TDI SL yesterday. Took about 15 minutes at the beach trying to figure out Ground Balance, and a few other settings. My initial tests gave me some doubts about its depth. But figured I was there and wanted to see what this thing could do. A big thanks to my buddy for letting me borrow his volume-adjusting headphones. Now, maybe I was a bit optimistic with large cents and capped busts flying everywhere, but was hoping it would be deeper.

I started out on one side that yielded silver and gold before, but there was more junk than the other side. Dug a bunch of junk and some of it was DEEP. Good it's getting deep, but not if it's just trash. I did manager a super thin merc. So thin there are actually 3 holes in it!

As low tide neared I made a rush to the other side of the place, that's yielded a huge chunk of good finds before. Within a few minutes I had a silver Washington! Now we're talking. Then the buffalo nickels started rolling, and didn't stop.

Now, the TDI SL is a BEAST on low tones. When I had the CTX in this section, I had sensitivity near max, which caused unstable readings. It falses with low tones. So a lot of these signals were probably eclipsed by falsing, or I paid no attention to them and wrote them off as falsing. Or, maybe they were just deeper than the CTX could go.

Sometime in the hunt got a low tone (which is actually a high tone sound in your ear), and it turned out to be a gold ring! It has some age to it, any ideas? No markings at all on it.

Ended the day with:

10 Buffalo nickels!

11 Silver coins

1 Gold ring

1 vintage car

1 Pewter? Rattail Spoon. Any idea of age??

Sheaffer's Pencil Lead brass case - looks to be from the 20s or so.

Some wheat cents, but haven't checked yet.

Got out today. I had mis-counted the silver yesterday. When yesterday started, I was 18 away from 200 silver coins for the year. So, thought I needed 8 silver coins today.

I was sore, tired, and a bit cranky, and after the 6th silver coin dime came out, decided to call it a day because I thought I was 2 off. Upon getting home, only one more coin was needed. Doh!

Ended today with:

6 silver dimes

4 Buffalo nickels

Ok, long and wordy, but overall it's a good machine. Just be prepared to dig a lot of deep targets. I got sick of digging brass/copper screws at probably a foot down.

HH all!

Comments

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,215 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1 Pewter? Rattail Spoon. Any idea of age??
    Dunno. Old. Maybe pre-Civil War?

That's just a WAG on my part.

Forum member Terry G (aka "Asheland") is a spoon collector.

Ask him, and tell him LordM sent you. He might know.

Thanks for the mud shot. I like dirty action shots. Adds context, and gives a little of that vicarious thrill of "being there". image

(PS- maybe one of these times you could raise the camera slightly to give us a look at the lay of the land, too. Not enough to reveal any of your secret sites or anything, but again, just for the sake of virtually walking the field with you, so to speak.)

Keep 'em beepin'! You're the torchbearer of this forum these days, as I'm sure you know!

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Awesome haul... what a great bunch of finds... and a gold ring as well. Looks like some

stones but cannot tell what... would need to look under magnification... likely 10 or 14 carat gold.

For your maiden run...that is fantastic... imagine when you and the MD meld....

Great things in the future... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Every time I read your reports (often of course) my head immediately goes to my local possibilities for searching. However, I keep coming up with the same thoughts and those sites are all off limits due to being on Federal Property. Actually my local beaches cannot be searched as they are all on Lake Mead and that is Federal property. I was chastised by a BLM officer and told to leave or be arrested for metal detecting on Boulder beach on Lake Mead. It was in January with just a couple of people strolling along. I was there for about half an hour and was digging trash and two modern cents when told to leave.

I apologized for not knowing the rules and asked why, since I was basically cleaning the beach, detecting was not allowed. I was told that I might be disturbing Indian artifacts. Even though I explained it was a public swimming and boating beach and Indians in our area never used metal I was still removed.

So, where to hunt in the Mohave Desert is the big problem. Las Vegas was founded in 1905 so nothing very ancient is lurking in our ground. The old areas of town are now areas that I will not step foot in let alone detect in due to the plight of the areas.

Any ideas? Perhaps I am just relegated to nugget detecting out in BFE...oh well.

bobimage

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    AUandAG, I would gladly trade everything I found this weekend for your 52 gram gold nugget! I heard being around Vegas, people find silver dollars. They might not be old, but they're something probably 90% of us will never find. So you might have a better chance there.

Here on the east coast, we're lucky to have old land, and swimming beaches. If you're ever up in New England, let me know and we'll try to find some good spots.
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    thanks for the offer, and I will take you up on it perhaps someday!

bobimage

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    DockwalliperDockwalliper Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭
    Did you dig a ton of clad?

You never say.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,515 ✭✭✭✭✭
    thats a neat looking ring. nice haul on the silver as well.
  • Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,240 ✭✭✭
    Super finds. That would be a GREAT years (or more) worth of finds down here in Ga.
    @ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options
    ZotZot Posts: 825 ✭✭✭
    Outstanding finds once again! Congrats!!

Soooo many silver coins, AND a gold ring!

The gold ring looks very interesting. It has a lot going on!

Now..... did you find this missing piece? (pic below) ..... image

I assume that wound require taking home a bucketful of mud and going through it very carefully......

...and of course it could have fallen off earlier image

Minelab: GPX 5000, Excalibur II, Explorer SE. White's: MXT, PI Pro
  • Options
    Originally posted by: AUandAG

thanks for the offer, and I will take you up on it perhaps someday!

bobimage

Now do you mean detecting in NE, or trading that big nugget for my weekend haul?? image

• Options
    Originally posted by: Dockwalliper

Did you dig a ton of clad?

You never say.

Man, this PCGS chat software makes things difficult. going to break this up in hopes it will actually post. it turns a 2 minute job into a 15 minute task.

Hey Dock! Figure the clad wasn't that exciting. But here are pics of day 1 and day 2 other coins. Note that no clad quarters or clad dimes were found.

Day 1: Got a cool big safety pin with stamps "Pat Jan 1878 May 1883". Now I know that doesn't necessarily mean it was made in 1883, but is there any way to help pinpoint its age?

• Options
    4 regular Jefferson: 1939, 1940, 1940, 1946

11 Wheats

4 post-wheat cents

2 what look like pieces of a bracelet or other jewelry. Didn’t know what they were until I got home.

Day 2:

14 wheats

10 post-wheat cents

3 Jefferson nickels: 1940, 1946, 1946

• Options
    Day 1 pics

Day 2 pics

• Options
    Originally posted by: Zot

Outstanding finds once again! Congrats!!

Soooo many silver coins, AND a gold ring!

The gold ring looks very interesting. It has a lot going on!

Now..... did you find this missing piece? (pic below) ..... image

I assume that wound require taking home a bucketful of mud and going through it very carefully......

...and of course it could have fallen off earlier image

Hey Zot!

I’ll see your one missing stone, and add 6 more. There should have been 6 other stones, or whatever those round brown blobs are. Would have gone crazy trying to track down the missing bits.

• Options
    by the way, the snag in the software was it wouldn't allow me to post the below statement with a "-". I had to isolate it and put a colon in there instead

4 regular Jefferson: 1939, 1940, 1940, 1946
  • Options
    Bayard1908Bayard1908 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭✭
    That safety pin with the early patent dates is my favorite find.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: pcgs69
    I’ll see your one missing stone, and add 6 more.

String bet!! 10 yard penalty! image

Congrats again on a massive haul. You're impossible to keep up with!

I have a few recent finds to post, and detecting conditions for next weekend look decent. I want gold!

PS. AUandAG: I remember those two 50+ grammers from earlier posts. Man they look sweet! image
  • Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We need to call you the "Silver Magnet" image
  • Options
    Originally posted by: Zot

Originally posted by: pcgs69

I’ll see your one missing stone, and add 6 more.

String bet!! 10 yard penalty! image

Congrats again on a massive haul. You're impossible to keep up with!

I have a few recent finds to post, and detecting conditions for next weekend look decent. I want gold!

PS. AUandAG: I remember those two 50+ grammers from earlier posts. Man they look sweet! image

Thanks Zot! Wish this place wasn't a couple hour drive now. Would have hit it a few more times this year. Looking forward to seeing some of your finds. Hope you find some gold soon.

A couple members on Treasurenet noted that spoon can date from the 1720s to 1740s!! Really curious to see what else comes out of this place.

____

PPC, if it wasn't for this one location, the silver counts would be relatively low this year. But, now I'm stuck at 199 for the year, and hoping to get one more here in my old stomping grounds. Hoping to find a place over the next couple weekends to break 200.
  • Options
    Wow, that's exciting info about the spoon. Oh the possibilities!

Perhaps there's a piece of eight lurking deep somewhere in there... or a gold escudo! image

PS. I registered at T.Net about a decade ago myself, but haven't gotten around to ever actually posting anything there. Some people would probably have questions if I ever do (joined 2005, 1 post)... image
  • Options
    haha, if a gold coin ever came under my coil, you'd be able to hear me screaming wherever you're at!

Wow, you're one of the more active members of Treasurenet! Almost as many posts as RickO has on here. image

Here's a junky video of the ring coming out of the ground. LordM, not quite what you're hoping for, but it's a start
  • Options
    Nice video of the gold ring find.... always a thrill to see gold in the dirt... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    CHECK THIS OUT!! Found the same ring on eBay!!!!!! It was a beautiful ring when new. Those brown things are pearls, an it's missing opals!

Ring here!
  • Options

• Options
    Wow...beautiful ring.... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    Wow, nice bunch of stuff. Love the ring, and damn, that's a lot of silver!!!

bob
    Bob