Home Metal Detecting

Bounty Hunter detectors. Can anyone comment on them?

OnlyGoldIsMoneyOnlyGoldIsMoney Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭
My 16 year old Whites detector has seen better days and I am looking to replace it.

Thanks to an abundance of Staples Rewards I checked to determine which detectors they sell a Staples on line. The only name I recognize among the unit offered is Bounty Hunter.

The advantage purchasing through Staples would be getting a $170 detector for about $50 net. However, I would be interested in hearing the opinions about Bounty Hunter products from Forum members first.

Thanks in advance. OGIM

Comments

• Bayard1908Bayard1908 Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭✭
    $170 is too little to spend on a detector. The one thing you can't replace is your time. No sense wasting your valuable time with a detector that isn't up to the job.
  • pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm with Bayard, probably a good idea to look for something better. Maybe a garrett ace 250 or at pro. Maybe just go all out and get a great detector right off like an etrac or ctx. There are others too.
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bounty Hunter detectors are "cheap" in both the good and bad senses of the word.

On the one hand, they're usually a bit more flimsily built. (Though this also means lightweight, which can be a good thing.)

On the other hand, they do pack a decent amount of bang for the buck. I did OK with an inexpensive Bounty Hunter machine in the late 1990s, and it actually outperformed my more expensive Garrett in one trashy area, since it had much better discrimination than the Garrett.

Generally I would recommend one of the Garrett Ace series or something like that as a starter machine. But if you've had a detector for 16 years, you've graduated past the need for a starter machine and might want something else more advanced.

If I understood your initial post correctly and you can get a $170 Bounty Hunter machine for $50, by all means, go for it. Don't expect it to perform like the $300-and-up models offered by other brands, but if you learn to use it well enough, you can find stuff with it. And if you get another detector later, you can always keep the Bounty Hunter as a backup, or as a loaner if somebody else wants to tag along with you on a hunt.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with LordM..... Personally, I like, and use, the higher grade detectors (for me,

that is White's).... but if that is what you can get at this time, well, it will work and

you will find good stuff with it. Best of luck...Cheers, RickO