Home Metal Detecting

My metal detecting finds: 2014 to the present

Bayard1908Bayard1908 Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭✭
I went to one of my favorite parks today to see if it was clear enough of snow to do some detecting. When I got there, a father and son were already metal detecting. I stopped and talked with them. The father said that it wasn't possible to dig much more than an inch deep because the ground was frozen.

I went to the other side of the park and started detecting. I got some good deep hits, but, couldn't dig deep enough to recover them. I was about to quit and go home when I decided instead to turn down the sensitivity on my machine. I turned the sensitivity low enough that the machine would only detect shallow targets.

I dug up about $3 of shallow clad. Normally I would consider this to be a dud of a hunt; however, this winter has been so long and harsh that I was happy to find anything.

Comments

• lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I lived in North Carolina, I was digging in an old churchyard during a blizzard, once. Left my car running nearby, and every ten minutes or so I'd go sit in the car to thaw out.

I dug a shallow hole which produced an Indian cent and three or four early Wheaties (the latest from 1919 or so), but like you, I encountered difficulties with frozen ground.

You should mark those deep targets somehow so you can come back to them after the thaw. One signal I got on that frozen day was too hard to dig, so I remembered where it was and came back to it in the spring. It turned out to be a 1900 Barber dime.

Later that summer, one of my best known finds came from that churchyard.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,411 ✭✭✭✭✭
    you did ok with $3. besides we all need practice for when the ground is soft. image
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    At least you got some MD'ing in..... still a foot of snow here.... Cheers, RickO
  • DockwalliperDockwalliper Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭
    I haven't been out since December 5th andI just got a Blizzard warning on my phone for tomorrow. image
  • Bayard1908Bayard1908 Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I haven't been out since December 5th andI just got a Blizzard warning on my phone for tomorrow. image >>

It snowed here last night and this morning, which is why I went out detecting on Monday. I knew it would be my only chance for many days.
  • pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭✭
    glad you could get out a bit! We've in the middle of another snow storm. Hoping to get out by late March, but looking more like early April at this rate.
    Well, the snow last night never materialized here. However, a lot of ice did, and it is 13 degrees right now. So, MD'ing is still a ways off in this area...Cheers, RickO
    Went out for just over an hour today and dug up more shallow clad. The ground was a little easier to dig; however, my hands got so cold that they hurt. I dug one hole that kept filling with freezing cold water. Whatever's in that hole will have to wait for better weather.
    47 degrees here right now....and possible snow tomorrow.... YUCK!! Cheers, RickO
    Went to a park dating to the 1850s yesterday. There were electric power lines all around. I got some deep signals but couldn't pinpoint them. All I dug was some clad. Maybe I'll go back after a good rain.
    Frost still in the ground here...but rapidly leaving now.... should be gone in two days...Cheers, RickO
    Went to my favorite two parks today. Found a ladies sterling ring, 3 wheat cents from 1936 to 1950, a 1946 nickel, lots of clad and an interesting item that I initially thought was an elongated coin. I believe it may be a 19th century company ID badge.
    Went out again today: two wheat cents, a 1940 nickel, lots of clad but no silver. Ran into another detectorist who also had an E-trac.
    Ground is getting soft now.... two 60 degree days in a row.... Cheers, RickO
    Went out this morning: 3 wheat cents from 1937 to 1950 plus some clad. Still no silver. It got so cold and windy that I abandoned a couple deep signals that I hope to revisit someday soon. I'm getting good at finding nickels with the Etrac, although I'm still digging up low tone junk too.
    Practice is key....getting to know your machine, familiarity with tones, swing technique etc., all contribute to individual success rates. I would restate the old maxim of MD'rs here... "Dig everything." Although you may think something is junk, and often be right, there will be those times when it will be treasure....and believe me, you do not want to miss those items. Cheers, RickO
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,411 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Practice is key....getting to know your machine, familiarity with tones, swing technique etc., all contribute to individual success rates. I would restate the old maxim of MD'rs here... "Dig everything." Although you may think something is junk, and often be right, there will be those times when it will be treasure....and believe me, you do not want to miss those items. Cheers, RickO >>

this work. youll get sick of the junk but the pay off can and will be awesome one day.
    Went to an old school yesterday. Dug up a 1912 wheat cent and an interesting pocket spill of wheat cents. There were three wheat cents in the same hole, dated 1939, 1940, and 1945. I presume they were dropped circa 1945. I also found a rusty disc that I suspect is the remains of a 1943 cent.
    A nice group of old wheaties..... Cheers, RickO
    Went out again today, still no silver. The only old thing I found was a 1937 wheat cent. A more experienced detectorist told me that I'd likely dig up six wheat cents for every silver coin I found. If he's right, I'm overdue for silver.

Strangely, I dug two holes at different sites that each had three clad quarters in them.
    Yesterday I found a religious medallion that I believe is gold. Today I finally dug a silver coin, a 1967 half dollar. I also dug up a man's sterling silver ring today.
    A silver ring? Great.... the 67 half is likely clad, unless it has an S mint mark. Cheers, RickO

<< <i>the 67 half is likely clad, unless it has an S mint mark. Cheers, RickO >>

Every 1967 half is 40% silver and none of them are mintmarked. I believe you're thinking of 1976 instead of 1967.
    You are correct... I spaced there.... thanks for the correction.... Cheers, RickO
    Went out briefly today and dug up a 1945 wheat cent plus some clad. Perhaps my two day streak is over.
    Went out for a little bit today to a new place. Found three wheat cents in the same hole: 1941, 1957, and 1958. There weren't many signals at this place, don't know if it's hunted out or not.
    You're killing the wheat cents this year! Also, congrats on the 40% kennedy. Those are pretty scarce to find. A 6-to-1 Wheat to Silver coin ratio sounds about right. Were you able to get back to that other site where you had to pass on those deeper signals?

<< <i>You're killing the wheat cents this year! Also, congrats on the 40% kennedy. Those are pretty scarce to find. A 6-to-1 Wheat to Silver coin ratio sounds about right. Were you able to get back to that other site where you had to pass on those deeper signals? >>

I'm not a fan of wheat cents, except that they may be indicative that silver is in the area. I went back to that site with my giant garden shovel and dug two deep junk targets
    It's snowing here in Illinois today. No detecting tomorrow either.
    Monday's snow has melted and I went out for a while today. I dug two wheat cents (1940 and 1949), a 1943-D Mercury dime which is close to AU, and a Illinois sales tax token which internet sources say is circa 1936.
    That Merc is in nice condition... and a sales tax token is a nice bit of history... Cheers, RickO
    Went to a new site today and dug up a 1936 Mercury dime. It was only half an inch deep in some gravel.
    Silver is always nice. How many silver coins are you up to so far this year?

<< <i>Silver is always nice. How many silver coins are you up to so far this year? >>

I have found three silver coins in the last nine days, two Mercury dimes and a 40% Kennedy half. That's my total for 2014 thus far.
    You are doing well in silver.... hope it continues... Cheers, RickO

<< <i>You are doing well in silver.... hope it continues... Cheers, RickO >>

Agree with ricko...Three silver coins in 9 days is great! That kennedy is a scarce find too. Rarely seen any of them dug.
  • BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Last went out MD back in the early 70's with a cheap metal detector. Can't even recall the brand name. Was from a company in Texas I think. Was'nt a Whites. Never found anything in 2 outings. Probably got discouraged. I don't think I used it correctly. Sold it to my brother. Now my "detecting" consists of waiting for the snow to melt in mall/shopping center parking lots and picking up any loose change that was dropped over the winter when people did not bother to look for it in the fallen snow.
    Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
    BlueJayWay.... you should try it again.... get an Ace250 (entry level machine, but a good one) and go for a hunt in a local park - preferably one with a bit of history. You will enjoy it and might get hooked....Cheers, RickO
    I went out detecting today at several new sites without finding a place that really seems promising. The only old coin I found was a 1942 wheat cent; however, I did find a thick 24 inch gold chain marked 14K. The photo below also includes the 1936 Mercury dime that I found in gravel on Saturday. I guess I'm going to need to purchase a small scale to find out what this thing weighs.
  • BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>BlueJayWay.... you should try it again.... get an Ace250 (entry level machine, but a good one) and go for a hunt in a local park - preferably one with a bit of history. You will enjoy it and might get hooked....Cheers, RickO >>

Thanks for the suggestion. Have been toying with the idea of late. I believe you can rent a detector from some local rent a centers. However I will look into the model ACE 250 per your suggestion.
    Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
    Renting is a great option.... I recommend the 250 because it is a good entry level machine, for many, it stays their favorite for years. Higher level machines are great, take a slight learning curve - more on some - but worth it if it becomes a big time hobby. Cheers, RickO
    Yesterday I went back to the place where I found the 1936 Mercury dime. The only silver coin I found this time was a 1943 Australian six pence. The coin has two holes punched in it, as if were used in jewelry. I also found a 1939 wheat cent and a couple of silver rings.
    More silver..... great.... that spot needs a lot of attention....Cheers, RickO
    Agree with ricko. Sounds like it should be hit hard. The silver is coming out pretty good for you
    I found 5 wheat cents dated 1945 to 1951 today, but no silver. The most interesting thing I found was the copper end cap of a Winchester brand flashlight.
    This past week the only old coins I found were four wheat cents; however, I did find a GAR button on the surface in my own backyard garden. These buttons were only worn by Civil War veterans. I'm amazed by this find because I cannot find old coins in my yard despite finding old relics such as this.
    That is surprising Bayard..... Finding such items usually indicates the presence of some coins...check the property history, it could tell you some helpful information. Cheers, RickO
    I hadn't detected for over a week, but, went out yesterday. I didn't find any silver coins. Instead I found a couple wheat cents, a sterling St. Christopher medal engraved with a 1978 date, and a ghetto fabulous Chicago Bulls sterling charm that appears to be peeling vermeil.

Yesterday I also ordered a larger coil (15 inch) for my E-trac as I've just about hunted out all of the shallow stuff in my favorite parks.
    Keep us posted on the new coil. Had always thought of getting one for mine. Have you tried two tone ferrous at all? Put the machine in ttf and remove discrimination...will give one beep for iron and one for everything else. I tried it a couple times and it drove me crazy but others have enjoyed it. Are you using quickmask now or any special discrimination patterns?

<< <i>Are you using quickmask now or any special discrimination patterns? >>

I use a variant of the trashy park pattern, which is essentially the top right hand corner plus nickels. If I get a faint signal, I'll switch to an open screen quick mask to see if it's iron falsing or the real deal.